The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Living in Vancouver

MarchandSucks

Well, I'm kind of biased because my parents live in Burnaby and I spent a good portion of my life there. :P I live in Vancouver now and I actually find that amenities like community centres, pools, rec centres, city parks etc. in Burnaby are superior to those in Vancouver proper. Or at least it seems like there's more of them. The nice thing about Burnaby too is it's kind of right smack dab in the middle of the Lower Mainland so you're never too far from most places.

That being said, I really don't know very much about the other suburbs so yah, definitely do your own research. Burnaby is pretty expensive. You'll definitely get better bang for you buck if you go further out. It just depends what you want. Oh also, Burnaby definitely has it's grungier neighbourhoods (just like Vancouver). Not all of it is nice.

Well it sort of depends on your needs...

I would say that Burnaby or Surrey would be your best choices. Both cities are central, Burnaby being on the north side of the river and Surrey on the south side. Burnaby and Surrey would be your best choices if you're going to be out and about...just avoid the "rougher" areas and you'll fine.

* If you prefer to walk then Surrey and Burnaby aren't exactly ideal. :P

Burnaby:

- lots of great neighborhoods (Brentwood, Capitol Hill, Burnaby Heights, hell anything in North Burnaby)

- good schools

- shopping

- transit is widespread

- connector city (Vancouver to the east, Coquitlam to the west, Surrey to the south)

- good sized homes with a real yard

- close to downtown and Stanley Park, etc.

- lots of parks and trails

Surrey:

- lots of great neighborhoods (Panorama Ridge, Fleetwood, Cloverdale, Elgin, Morgan Creek, Grandview, the farther south you go, the better...)

- good schools

- shopping

- connector city (Vancouver/Burnaby to the east, Coquitlam to the North, Fraser Valley to the east)

- easy access to the border

- beaches are close by (Crescent Beach and White Rock Beach)

- less traffic compared to north of the Fraser

- new homes are EVERYWHERE

- city of parks...

Alright really repping my home town now. Burnaby has been named the best run city in Canada and has a budget surplus, and still manages to have potentially the best amenities in the Lower Mainland.

Currently the city has great options for sports and sporting facilities. Burnaby has a constantly competitive soccer program and is home to the Burnaby winter club which has produced quite a number of NHLers. As well the city currently has development in progress to expand their already large central sporting area, which I believe will the the largest in Canada when completed.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/07/16/canadas-best-and-worst-run-cities/

http://www.burnabywinterclub.com/leagues/custom_page.cfm?clientid=1449&leagueid=0&pageid=2384

Well it sort of depends on your needs...

I would say that Burnaby or Surrey would be your best choices. Both cities are central, Burnaby being on the north side of the river and Surrey on the south side. Burnaby and Surrey would be your best choices if you're going to be out and about...just avoid the "rougher" areas and you'll fine.

* If you prefer to walk then Surrey and Burnaby aren't exactly ideal. :P

Burnaby:

- lots of great neighborhoods (Killarney, Brentwood, Capitol Hill, Burnaby Heights, hell anything in North Burnaby)

- good schools

- shopping

- transit is widespread

- connector city (Vancouver to the east, Coquitlam to the west, Surrey to the south)

- good sized homes with a real yard

- close to downtown and Stanley Park, etc.

- lots of parks and trails

Surrey:

- lots of great neighborhoods (Panorama Ridge, Fleetwood, Cloverdale, Elgin, Morgan Creek, Grandview, the farther south you go, the better...)

- good schools

- shopping

- connector city (Vancouver/Burnaby to the east, Coquitlam to the North, Fraser Valley to the east)

- easy access to the border

- beaches are close by (Crescent Beach and White Rock Beach)

- less traffic compared to north of the Fraser

- new homes are EVERYWHERE

- city of parks...

I grew up in North Burnaby, lived in Coquitlam (just - by Lougheed Mall), South Burnaby (3 places, Patterson Ave, Imperial, and close to the BCTel (Telus) boot), East Van (Earles St just north of Kingsway), Richmond (3 different areas - mostly east), and Langley was the last place (1997-99) I lived in (only place I could afford a house).

I won't live in Vancouver again - can't stand the amount of people there.

Wife has turned me into a Country boy. :)

Agree completely, grew up in Burnaby and living in Van now too to be closer to school. Burnaby has great amenities and tons of parks (25% of arable land I believe). The schools are good and pretty mellow in terms of bullying fighting etc (at least in my experience). I'm not sure about the grungy neighbourhoods, i've spent lots of time all over Burnaby and feel safe walking anywhere at night, but I guess the worst area would be South Burnaby, which still isn't bad.

Archived