The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Living in Vancouver

MarchandSucks

The problem with Vancouver, is that even if you still like it after the initial novelty wears off, which is not a given, it will wear you down over time.

Beyond the favorable stats and the glowing testimony, this is not a happy city nor one where the average person can succede without engaging in a scam of some kind.

I live in Burnaby currently as a student. Close to downtown and a bit cheaper (not as cheap as places in Surrey, New West). I'm essentially "Vancouver".. takes me 10 minutes to get into the city limits. They all kind of blend. Just find somewhere close to skytrain and you'll be good to go.

The problem with Vancouver, is that even if you still like it after the initial novelty wears off, which is not a given, it will wear you down over time.

Beyond the favorable stats and the glowing testimony, this is not a happy city nor one where the average person can succede without engaging in a scam of some kind.

Well I've lived in South Burnaby pretty much my entire life and a lot has changed. Pretty much the entire neighbourhood has been developed within the last 5-8 years or so and it still is. A bunch of condos are being built around Metrotown (the sketchy neighbourhood right by Metro is being slowly dismantled) and there was of course the whole transformation of the Edmonds area with Highgate popping up. Not to mention, Station Square is being re-developed right now, so that'll be nice to see once its finished (I walk by the construction everyday).

There's an abundance of community centres, libraries, malls (Metrotown being the obvious one), and good schools. Seeing as how you're looking for a house, there's a nice and quiet neighbourhood which is about a 5 minute drive from Metrotown. It's just down the hill from Imperial down to Marine Drive.

Oh, and most importantly, the transit is quite convenient as the Skytrain and a bunch of buses run through the area. And I hear a lot of people talking about crime in South Burnaby, I don't know where you guys exactly are but the Patterson area has been pretty quiet for a long long time.

But the one and only con I need to balance out all the benefits I just listed is the price. Housing prices have just skyrocketed around my area, but I guess this is true for the entire Lower Mainland so whatever :)

I find that the "socially retarded" and similar comments come from people who seem to act "socially retarded". Treat people how you like to be treated and be the change you wish to see. I'm friendly, outgoing and courteous when I'm in public and more often than not...even in Vancouver I find that gets reciprocated. Curious that... :rolleyes: I also know tons of friendly, outgoing, and sweet people...all from here!

If you act like an introverted a-hole... guess what you'll get back....?

If you want a friendlier populace, be friendlier.

I find that the "socially retarded" and similar comments come from people who seem to act "socially retarded". Treat people how you like to be treated and be the change you wish to see. I'm friendly, outgoing and courteous when I'm in public and more often than not...even in Vancouver I find that gets reciprocated. Curious that... :rolleyes: I also know tons of friendly, outgoing, and sweet people...all from here!

If you act like an introverted a-hole... guess what you'll get back....?

If you want a friendlier populace, be friendlier.

No.

Travel outside Vancouver and you'll see the difference. I've been to many other cities outside Canada, and the attitude is just better.

I'm sorry, you don't have some social gift the rest of us are missing. People who complain about the bad social scene here aren't weird intraverts. Vancouver is one of the few places where you can't walk up to random tables in a bar and start conversations without getting a cold shoulder. People in public spaces seem fed up and angry. In fact, we have virtually no public spaces/festivals for a city this size. Whenever we try, we end up with a riot. People in Vancouver are standoffish and arrogant. And no, me having a better attitude is not going to change that. Is my attitude personally responsible for stabbings and gang violence everytime we have a fireworks festival?

Sure people from say the Maritimes are certainly friendlier. I never said they weren't. That doesn't make Vancouverites un-friendly. You may have to make a bit more of an effort here than elsewhere but I've never had trouble here socializing with people. And I have been to many other places throughout the US, Canada, Scotland and Ireland.

I've also been to many public events here...playoff games, fireworks, concerts, Olympic festivities etc without incident and always felt quite comfortable and in a friendly atmosphere. A riot every dozen years or so or occasional gang violence (which pretty much all major cities have) does not equate to some toxic atmosphere.

And I never said your attitude contributed to gang violence. That's asinine. I said a negative attitude will tend to attract/reinforce negativity. If you're a positive person, you'll attract positive people and reinforce positive behaviour. It's really not rocket dentistry.

To see how far behind Vancouver is, just got to Seattle, the closest major city. At night they have a club district set up called Pioneer Square. It's great. Great selection of clubs. Friendly people. Great drink specials. They have a whole area set aside for being social.

Compare that with Vancouver's "entertainment district". At night Granville Street is lined with cop cars, waiting for the inevitable violence. Homeless everywhere, harrassing you everytime you go outside. Overpriced drinks and uptight women. Nimby's complaining about the noise. Reeks of urine. The list of negatives goes on.

LOL... Neither of those is my "scene". And even when I was younger and spent small amounts of time in it I never had the negative impression you seem to. There's was numerous times at pubs and clubs I spent with good people and met lots of new friendly people and nice girls.

Never mind that if that's what you think makes a city, (a place with cheap booze and "friendly" women) I feel sorry for you. Perhaps you should try expanding your horizons beyond the dubious value of the "club scene" and the superficial people it tends to attract. Or find the venues who cater more to your apparent desires. There are certainly clubs downtown who cater to the rich, snooty and superficial (those people need places to drink too evidently)... don't go to them.

Even Seattle has a well deserved reputation for being socially retarded, so to have it compared favorably to Vancouver in that regard is hilarious.

It's almost shocking how tense and creepy social interaction between strangers is in Vancouver after spending time elsewhere.

Its too bad because while this was never a friendly city, it was much better before the mid '90s.

That was just an example. One that highlights the problems well. I'm also too old and not single enough for the regular club scene, but I do occasionally go out and I notice a major difference. The fact you have dismissed bars and clubs, proves my point exactly. Pubs/bars/clubs are suppossed to be fun and social places. They have them all over the world. And no, I'm not low brow for desiring a good night life.

And it's not just drinks that are overpriced here. Vancouver is a very clique and unfriendly city. It's attitudes like yours that result in that perpetuation. You are unable to see there is a problem and, as a result, nothing gets done about it. You also seem to think you're better than the people who are frustrated with the social scene here too. It's me who feels sorry for you. If you have such little life experience that you think what goes on in Vancouver is normal.

Archived