The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Living in Vancouver

MarchandSucks

I never discounted pubs etc. In fact I stated I had fun at numerous ones across the lower mainland. I merely pointed out that perhaps you're going to the wrong ones and/or hanging out with the wrong people. There are certainly clique-y clubs...again, don't go to them.

Any city will be exactly what you make of it. You're apparently determined to make negative of it. As such you shouldn't be surprised by your results.

How is it that I can go out in this city and have fun, meet friendly people etc and you can't?

bush_doing_it_wrong_1.jpg

It's certainly less fun than other cities if all you want to do is club. Every city has it's own attractions and maybe Vancouver's aren't for you.

L.A. has different qualities from New York, Las Vegas or even say Montreal ...or Paris, London, England, Dublin etc

People expecting Vancouver to be like Las Vegas, New York or Montreal will be quite disappointed. That doesn't make Vancouver less fun, it makes it different and fun at other things. If you're not interested in those things especially considering the cost of living here...by all means don't let the door hit you...

That's not to say that we shouldn't or couldn't improve on things like festivals etc. There's always room for improvement. But those are things that start grass roots. Again, be the change you wish to see. You want more music, art etc festivals? Organize one.

I'll echo comments from others. Vancouver is socially retarded though. My theory is the problem comes from the excessive amount of beggers on the street. It puts you into this frame of mind, where you just don't want to talk to random people, as whatever conversatoins you have will end up with a drug addict begging for money. Those same drug addicts will steal anything they can get their hands on. We also have a problem where we can't hold public events without random hooliganism breaking out.

It's certainly less fun than other cities if all you want to do is club. Every city has it's own attractions and maybe Vancouver's aren't for you.

L.A. has different qualities from New York, Las Vegas or even say Montreal ...or Paris, London, England, Dublin etc

People expecting Vancouver to be like Las Vegas, New York or Montreal will be quite disappointed. That doesn't make Vancouver less fun, it makes it different and fun at other things. If you're not interested in those things especially considering the cost of living here...by all means don't let the door hit you...

That's not to say that we shouldn't or couldn't improve on things like festivals etc. There's always room for improvement. But those are things that start grass roots. Again, be the change you wish to see. You want more music, art etc festivals? Organize one.

That was just an example. One that highlights the problems well. I'm also too old and not single enough for the regular club scene, but I do occasionally go out and I notice a major difference. The fact you have dismissed bars and clubs, proves my point exactly. Pubs/bars/clubs are suppossed to be fun and social places. They have them all over the world. And no, I'm not low brow for desiring a good night life.

And it's not just drinks that are overpriced here. Vancouver is a very clique and unfriendly city. It's attitudes like yours that result in that perpetuation. You are unable to see there is a problem and, as a result, nothing gets done about it. You also seem to think you're better than the people who are frustrated with the social scene here too. It's me who feels sorry for you. If you have such little life experience that you think what goes on in Vancouver is normal.

Archived