The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Injury] Karlsson achilles cut 70% in battle with Cooke, out 3-4 mo after surgery

elvis15

Nice try, trying to say all the hockey experts are saying Hansen meant to injure Hossa. I've heard Eddie Olcyzk say he would be surprised if Hansen wasn't suspended, but then Kerry Fraser said he would be surprised if he was suspended. I don't see even a reasonable portion of hockey experts saying Hansen meant to injure him.

If you have anything based on facts you'd like to present, feel free to share it, otherwise you can stop with the sensationalism and exaggeration to make it sound like you have some sort of case and our hockey experts mean nothing.

Ok everybody, just to let you know Keke has proved all opinion other than the one that Cooke intentionally stomped on Karlsson's leg invalid by posting the blog from Dillon Friday at The Sportsfan Journal. We can all go back to our lives knowing this irrefutable evidence far outweighs that of any hockey expert anywhere, and clearly puts all us hockey fans in our place.

/thread

/sarcasm

Really? That's your dissenting opinion? The blog you posted even links to the TSN panel we've been talking about as a part of the hockey experts, and they're supporting our argument how it wasn't intentional. But Dillon Friday is your proof that those hockey experts know nothing. Keep trying though.

Like I said before, if you want to come up with an actual argument supported by anyone of actual note, or you have evidence that proves the hockey experts we've listed are wrong, feel free to share it. Until then it's merely your opinion and you won't convince anyone who doesn't agree with you.

And I happen to think that most good people sincerely believe that this incident was an accident because the alternative is too unpalatable for them to accept. But given Cooke's apparently complete absence of remorse throughout his serial career of violent incidents I have little doubt that he is up to the mark in this regard.His public statement that his determination to change his ways was in order that "his kids shouldn't be embarrassed", nothing about maiming Marc Savard and ruining his life, for instance, is telling.

Yes. An opinion from a blogger from Philadelphia. We all know how unbiased they are in Philly when it comes to players on the Penguins. :rolleyes:

As far as the video being subject to interpretation, one needs actual insight into the game to interpret it properly. Those of us who have it don't have to "guess" at the intent.

Yes. An opinion from a blogger from Philadelphia. We all know how unbiased they are in Philly when it comes to players on the Penguins. :rolleyes:

As far as the video being subject to interpretation, one needs actual insight into the game to interpret it properly. Those of us who have it don't have to "guess" at the intent.

Stomping down on the calf of a player is commonplace in the game? What is the possible rationale for that forward arcing stomping motion. And please desist from addressing me as if I'm someone with no practical experience. Cut that bull will you. It doesn't wash.

Riddle me this Rupertkb, this photograph shows Matt Cooke in fact cutting karlsons leg, correct?

Does it show Erik Karlson screaming in pain ?

Would you say Matt Cooke is within earshot of Erik Karlson ?

Why does Matt Cooke simply skate away after disengaging from a screaming and fully within earshot, Erik Karlson and not even look back?

Would you say Matt Cooke either didn't care for what transpired or didn't hear what transpired?

One might say that Matt Cooke cut karlsons leg, disengaged from the puck battle that obviously cut erik karlson and then skated away in a manner that showed little sympathy for what had just transpired.

Would Rupertkb, offer a "look back " after disengaging from a common "puck battle" if there was someone that was screaming, or an obvious injury during a "common puck battle". i say obvious because matt Cooke was within earshot of Karlson, who was obviously screaming! feel free to draw on your "over 2000 competitive" hockey games, including your "short stint in junior" ? You must have injured someone during that time, correct? Or is it amirite?

In all fairness, with a helmet on in a rink of thousands of fans who are also likely screaming, there is no guarantee Cooke "heard him". Or that it wasn't more of a gasp in pain with an "AHHH". I don't think people let out a prolonged "scream" and it's generally a split second sound as they can't even really catch their breath. Cooke has a history but I don't think this was intentional...he tends to go in hard and reckless and (yes, dirty) but I just didn't see it happen that way. It looks like he just loses his balance a bit and it was an unfortunate accident.

Would  Rupertkb, offer a "look back " after disengaging from a common "puck battle" if there was someone that was screaming, or an obvious injury during a "common puck battle". i say  obvious because matt Cooke was within earshot of Karlson, who was obviously screaming! feel free to draw on your "over 2000 competitive" hockey games, including your "short stint in junior" ? You must have injured someone during that time, correct? Or is it amirite?

That's just it elvis, it's all opinion. The evidence is the video and that is subject to interpretation. All we can do is try to guess at his intent. And it's my opinion that Cooke was playing angry as a result of his losing it on the bench earlier in the game after being hit in the neck by a Sergei Gonchar slapshot and he carried his nasty-reckless-evil-intent mindset with him when he went into the play with Erik Karlsson.

But it's just an opinion, and a minority opinion not shared by the hockey establishment at that. But as I have pointed out, it could be that the hockey establishment's instinct is to close ranks and support Cooke as away of controlling the potential damage to the image of the game that could come with another violent incident that was deemed to be deliberate. It's not as if the opinion that this was a deliberate act doesn't exist outside of the usual official hockey channels.

And I absolutely allow for your opinion, but speculation beyond that to try and prove your point or disprove another person's is hardly a basis of fact. Opinion proves nothing, and speculation proves even less.

Again, speculation. I believe it was an accident because it wasn't intentional.

This from the poster who has directed the phrases 'shrill opinion', 'intolerance of dissenting viewpoints' and 'bunch your panties' at others (all in the same post!) to try and win the debate over who's more right. You've also resorted to exaggeration and outright lies (saying that the hockey experts were opining that Hansen meant to injure Hossa yet you've provided no evidence to support that - I even provided two examples from either side to show the response has been on both sides but I have yet to see anyone of note say Hansen clearly meant to injure Hossa) to try and prop up your opinion as more than that, or at least that we're less right.

I've mentioned it before, but I ignored my own advice to not respond as I thought you might be open to the debate. Clearly that's not the case, so until you want to provide some actual evidence to support your opinion, I already know where you stand on this and don't really need to see any more of it.

Another serious injury today due to a skate cut. Zach Redmond of the Jets had to undergo emergency surgery after suffering a cut to his right femoral artery in practice today. I can't post a link because of the crap browser I have at work, but the full story is on TSN's main page.

Best wishes for a quick and full recovery to Zach...

Archived