The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Injury] Karlsson achilles cut 70% in battle with Cooke, out 3-4 mo after surgery

elvis15

The hockey industry is circling the wagons around Cooke. But check out non hockey sports media opinion, like Tony Kornheiser and especially Michael Wilbon on Pardon The Interruption on TSN today. People are much more willing to call it like they see it when it doesn't cast their industry in a negative light.

Once again, it's kind of demoralizing to see how many hockey fans seem to be drinking the industry Kool-Aid here.

Ah yes, those two noted hockey experts, Wilbon and Kornheiser...

It's pretty obvious that a lot of people in this thread have never played hockey at any significant level, or for any significant amount of time. If they had, they'd know that deliberately using your skate to injure an opponent is something that almost never happens. In over 45 years as a player, coach, referee and fan, I can count the incidents that I have seen or heard of one one hand.

Hockey players view using your skates as weapons as a far worse offense than swinging your stick like McSorely did to Brashear. It's just something that players would never do, unless they've completely lost it.

Personally, instead of listening to the opinions of TV personalities like the PTI boys, (who are in the business of stirring up controversy) I prefer the reasoning of actual hockey players. I don't know how many saw it, but on SPAC last night, they asked some of Cooke's peers what they thought about the incident and every single one of them (including Kevin Bieksa) said that it was unintentional.

Anyone who belives otherwise, either doesn't understand what they were seeing, is somehow connected to the Ottawa Senators hockey team, (like the coach and Owner) or has a bias against Matt Cooke.

I don't understand why the default position here isn't that Cooke is guilty. What do you think Marc Savard's opinion might be on this incident? The guy is a habitual offender and a serial abuser of the rules who has showed a disturbing lack of regard for the health of his fellow players. He stomped on Erik Karlsson after all. This is like a dysfunction family covering up an abusive alcoholic father. It's not healthy.

Of course it was not "intentional" BUT like your hockey stick you are responsible for how you use it and if you are going to be throwing your feet around and not being careful then i would suggest a look into disciplinary actions against those who injure others as a result of carelessness use of ice skates.

Of course it was not "intentional" BUT like your hockey stick you are responsible for how you use it and if you are going to be throwing your feet around and not being careful then i would suggest a look into disciplinary actions against those who injure others as a result of carelessness use of ice skates.

Archived