Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Injury] Karlsson achilles cut 70% in battle with Cooke, out 3-4 mo after surgery

• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#61 puckluv

puckluv

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

I think it was intentional and think he is pure evil. I wouldn't doubt he researched how to injur a top defenseman and make it look like an accident. This sport is not as innocent as some would love to believe, and I am not fooled by it.

Always turn a negative situation into a positive situation. Michael Jordon

#62 HockeyNut30

HockeyNut30

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,605 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:54 PM

Salo took seven months to recover when he tore his achilles playing floor hockey during the offseason. Hopefully for Karlsson it's not a full tear and he can recover quicker.

One of the worst injuries a hockey player can suffer =\

Posted Image

#63 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,446 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

Of course it was an accident. I can't believe anyone in the media even started to suggest otherwise.

Just look at the play. He's not even looking at where Karlsson's leg is.

It was a freak play, just like Bieksa's two leg lacerations. When you skate around with giant blades on your feet, accidents are bound to eventually happen.

I'm sure Cooke knows who he's going to the boards with...it's not like Cooke needs to look where his blade's going.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#64 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,265 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

I'd be amazed if the Sens manage to make the playoffs now.

Didn't NHL.com have an article earlier today with their prediction of Karlsson winning the Norris again? They took that down quickly...

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#65 Matt_T83

Matt_T83

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

This is absolutely intentional. There's NO NEED for your skate to be that high up on someone's leg.

Maybe he didn't mean to cut him, but he definitely meant to kick him. Absolutely Cooke was trying to kick Karlsson's leg out.

And that's really all you need to establish complete guilt. You aren't supposed to be kicking at people's legs in hockey. Why? You have a WORD on your foot.

Anyone who says "this is just a tough battle on the boards, and kicking legs is a part of hockey" is a retard and should be shot. This is why trying to slewfoot slew foot or leg trip someone in hockey is so dangerous. If you hook the leg the wrong way, your blade can slice their leg.

This is why the NHL needs to stop suspending for outcomes, and start suspending for actions. I hope Cooke gets 20 games for reckless use of his skates. Keep your skates on the ice.

Edited by Matt_T83, 13 February 2013 - 10:14 PM.

#66 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

That looks pretty damn intentional, and regardless of his turning around his game Cooke's reputation is enough.

I see that as a suspendeable play.

The NHL already declared that no supplementary discipline is coming Cooke's way.

#67 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,423 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Feel sorry for Karlsson, but don't feel anything for the Sens and Ottawa fan base.

I remember the last game we played them they were taking so many liberties on our skilled players.

So.. meh to bad so sad.
Posted Image

#68 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Salo took seven months to recover when he tore his achilles playing floor hockey during the offseason. Hopefully for Karlsson it's not a full tear and he can recover quicker.

One of the worst injuries a hockey player can suffer =\

To be fair, a cut and a tear are two different things.

When you tear a tendon, it's more difficult to repair due to fraying, resulting in a shorter tendon and a longer recovery time.

When a tendon is cut, the ends are typically not frayed (or minimally frayed), so the repair is easier and the recovery time is shorter. The long-term impact also isn't as severe as the tendon is typically longer after repair relative to a torn ligament.

#69 ro0

ro0

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

This is just a tough battle on the boards, trying to contain players with your knee is a part of hockey.

Is she a dress wearer or a pants wearer? Could you share a rowboat? Could a rowboat support her? Would an average size rowboat support her without capsizing?

#70 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

This is absolutely intentional. There's NO NEED for your skate to be that high up on someone's leg.

Maybe he didn't mean to cut him, but he definitely meant to kick him. Absolutely Cooke was trying to kick Karlsson's leg out.

And that's really all you need to establish complete guilt. You aren't supposed to be kicking at people's legs in hockey. Why? You have a WORD on your foot.

Anyone who says "this is just a tough battle on the boards, and kicking legs is a part of hockey" is a retard and should be shot. This is why trying to slewfoot slew foot or leg trip someone in hockey is so dangerous. If you hook the leg the wrong way, your blade can slice their leg.

This is why the NHL needs to stop suspending for outcomes, and start suspending for actions. I hope Cooke gets 20 games for reckless use of his skates. Keep your skates on the ice.

Just watched the highlights again on TSN and it sure did look intentional. I didn't see the game live but something I was not aware of was that Cooke had been hit in the neck with the puck earlier in the game.

I think that puck in the neck tripped the psycho switch in the base of Cooke's brain.

Edited by Keke Mortson's helmet, 13 February 2013 - 10:32 PM.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#71 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

The NHL already declared that no supplementary discipline is coming Cooke's way.

that was quick

#72 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

'Twas a bad day for my hockey pool...

#73 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

part of me says "accident" then the other part of me smacks the first part while saying; "DUDE! This is Cooke we are talking about!" So I would have liked to have seen the NHL actually hand down a punishment and say; "sorry, it was an accident" for all the things he got away with over the years.

#74 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

I don't care what TSN analysts or any other so called expert says. I have eyes of my own and I've watched more hockey over the past couple of decades than most of these so called analysts.

Cooke knew where his skate was and what he was doing.

Did Cooke know it would be so severe? Probably not.
Did Cooke know what he was doing? Yes.

This squid should be suspended for at least a season and more. Too bad NHL will pretend it was an accident in order to save a black eye for the league and sport.

#75 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,359 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

Completely a Hockey play but unfortunately it's a star player.

That's like saying David Steckel intentionally meant to hit and concuss Crosby...

Edited by 250Integra, 13 February 2013 - 11:36 PM.

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#76 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:40 PM

LOL at an Ottawa reporter saying Karlsson is at a Sidney Crosby level. That is extremely biased. He shouldn't of won the Norris Trophy either last year as he is such a one way player. He is good, but not that good.

#77 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

POPULAR

LOL at an Ottawa reporter saying Karlsson is at a Sidney Crosby level. That is extremely biased. He shouldn't of won the Norris Trophy either last year as he is such a one way player. He is good, but not that good.

Oh He's that good, young grass hopper.

This kid is a super star. They don't come much better than him.

1st Goals
1st +/-
1st PPG
1st GWG
1st Shots
1st Ice Time

Edited by WHL rocks, 14 February 2013 - 12:12 AM.

#78 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

Completely a Hockey play but unfortunately it's a star player.

That's like saying David Steckel intentionally meant to hit and concuss Crosby...

The only difference would be Karlsson didn't hit his leg into Cooke's skate like Crosby skated into Steckel while looking the other way.

#79 Justdean10

Justdean10

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

Cooke totally stoms down, I would say it was intentional.. at least to do something, maybe not to actually hurt him the way he did.

2n856js.jpg

#80 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,917 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

Even after he loses his balance theres still like a kicking motion at Karlssons leg...

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#81 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,254 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

I wonder if people even have this debate if it was Tyler Kennedy or Paul Martin instead of Cooke.

I doubt it.
Posted Image

#82 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,704 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:45 AM

I don't believe for a nano-second that was a complete accident.

Anyone who cant make a routine stop without pressing the blade of his skate into people should be kicked out. Absolute garbage. Get this POS out of the league. It's MATT COOKE ffs. He probably thinks he had people fooled he was a clean player again so he thought he could sneak some 'accidents' in again. I'm not fooled, and if he isn't booted from the NHL for this I'd have lost what little faith I have left in the disciplinary actions of the NHL.

Boot Cooke, Hefty fine for the Pens and Cooke.

Order and faith restored.

Edited by hsedin33, 14 February 2013 - 12:58 AM.

#83 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

People can say this and that about Matt Cooke or the specific play but having watched the game, the Pens were trying to injure the Sens best players. Pens players were trying to catch specific Sens players knee-on-knee, making dodgy checks from behind, and putting players headfirst into the boards for a good chunk of time before this happened. Pittsburgh looked like they had a particular objective and were practically immune from the refs calling them on it. I was cringing long before this happened and as soon as it did I was not the least bit surprised.

Keswho.jpg

#84 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

I don't believe for a nano-second that was a complete accident. Its just like when people used to 'accidentally run into Luongo'. What was his blade doing pressed up against his achilles tendon anyways? Cant he stop on his own power without ramming his blade into people? Absolute garbage. Get this pos out of the league.

We have the 'pleasure' of watching Matt Cooke ply his 'trade' instead of players like Karlsson and Marc Savard.

How much damage to the game is this guy going to be allowed to do?

#85 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,208 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

People can say this and that about Matt Cooke or the specific play but having watched the game, the Pens were trying to injure the Sens best players. Pens players were trying to catch specific Sens players knee-on-knee, making dodgy checks from behind, and putting players headfirst into the boards for a good chunk of time before this happened. Pittsburgh looked like they had a particular objective and were practically immune from the refs calling them on it. I was cringing long before this happened and as soon as it did I was not the least bit surprised.

Cooke was livid about being hit in the neck by a Sergei Gonchar slap shot as well. He can be seen raging from the bench in the TSN highlight pack.

#86 DSVII

DSVII

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

That sucks for Ottawa :sadno: hope he has a speedy recovery so he can help his team eliminate the Pens in playoffs :towel:

"The Canucks, are like North America, many of us have it so much better than others around the world or NHL, and we don't properly appreciate what we have."

"If Canucks fans hate Mason Raymond so bad, then you should have said something before the trade deadline! Because the Leafs would have totally taken him. I mean, can he score? Can he play a HINT of defense? WE'LL TAKE HIM! WE'LL TAKE TWO!"

- Steve Dangle (Leafs Fan Reaction - youtube)

#87 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

:picard:

he's a defenseman and he had more points than everyone on our team except Henrik. And he was only 3 points behind Henrik too

Edited by Primus099, 14 February 2013 - 01:18 AM.

#88 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

Jeez, I'm not one to change my mind after watching something in slo-mo over and over, but it really looks like an attempted slew foot (bad enough) that went horribly wrong. I just don't see a legit reason to have your skate 10 inches in the air when you're battling someone into the boards.

Cooke may have just fallen into my black category where Bryan Marchment exists.

#89 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:49 AM

Anderson's gonna have to stand on his head.

As if he hasn't been already.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#90 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

Total accident, Fighting for balance with Karlsson. As a defenseman I know what Ward is talking about with the pin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.