Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Injury] Karlsson achilles cut 70% in battle with Cooke, out 3-4 mo after surgery

• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#121 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

No way the league was going to suspend Cooke. The NHL does not want a black eye especially coming out of a lockout. If they suspend him then the police may get involved and charge Cooke. This would drag on for years.

It would be difficult to explain how a player could cut another player's achilles tendon in their sport.

NHL pretends its an accident and life carries on. I expect TSN and SPSN analysts to do the responsible thing and play along so their bread and butter provider does not take a hit. Otherwise CNN reports on what happened and NHL gets another black eye on par with the Bertuzzi incident.

I called it yesterday. NHL brushed it under the carpet.

The really impressive thing is how many here are buying the media spin, despite the replay.

Opinion makers opinion making at it's worst.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#122 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

Shouldn't Kevlar socks be mandatory?

#123 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

Great question.

For the life of me, I can not figure out why more guys don't wear them.

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the video was Cooke knew what he was doing. Immediately after the 2nd thing that came to mind was, why is Karlsson not wearing Kevlar socks?

#124 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Seriously though. Does anyone here remember either of the names of the players who's skates cut Bieksa?

Everyone's running around with blades attached to their feet. Cuts are going to happen.

Does any one remember the last time a player landed a high stick to another player's head. Pbbly not.

Does anyone remember when McSorley landed a stick to Brashear's head? I do

#125 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

The really impressive thing is how many here are buying the media spin, despite the replay.

Opinion makers opinion making at it's worst.

I'm not surprised at all. The media's main job is to form public opinion and they do a very good job at it. Most ppl are like sheep, they go where led instead of thinking for them selves.

You could also say " opinion makers opinion making at its best " lol

#126 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,185 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Shouldn't visors be mandatory? Gloves with longer cuffs? Not having those areas protected results in injuries for players as well, but it's a personal choice that players wear equipment that protects them better or not.

I was thinking why don't they make hockey socks with the kevlar protection built in. Obviously with the stirrup style hockey socks have, the hockey sock doesn't cover as much as a regular sock as you get down lower to the foot, but I'd think that could be easily adjusted. I haven't played hockey in several years but remember a few pairs of hockey socks that were a bit lower and it didn't bother me at all.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#127 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Great question.

For the life of me, I can not figure out why more guys don't wear them.

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the video was Cooke knew what he was doing. Immediately after the 2nd thing that came to mind was, why is Karlsson not wearing Kevlar socks?

If if was the coach or GM I would make all the players on the team wear them. Maybe most Canucks do because of Bieksa.

#128 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Shouldn't visors be mandatory? Gloves with longer cuffs? Not having those areas protected results in injuries for players as well, but it's a personal choice that players wear equipment that protects them better or not.

I was thinking why don't they make hockey socks with the kevlar protection built in. Obviously with the stirrup style hockey socks have, the hockey sock doesn't cover as much as a regular sock as you get down lower to the foot, but I'd think that could be easily adjusted. I haven't played hockey in several years but remember a few pairs of hockey socks that were a bit lower and it didn't bother me at all.

If if was the team I wouldn't leave it up to the individual player. Losing Karlson after already losing Spezza is pretty much a guarantee that they won't make the playoffs.

Edited by Lockhart, 14 February 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#129 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

why don't more players wear kevlar socks?

http://www.hoganhockey.com/about-us
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#130 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,926 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

To me the question isn't whether Cooke intended to injure Karlsson (which i think he didn't) but rather if his play was reckless or not. Fumbling about with a knee at the back of an opponent trying to pin him and then put it down with force with no control where the blade goes. Its just asking for someone to get hurt. If this really was a standard play (as i recall TSN experts argued) then i think there would be a lot more severe injuries in this league.

If you intentionally lift your blade in close proximity to another player you better know where it goes down before you put any weight on it.

These kinds of plays happen multiple times on every shift. These guys are skating at top speed, colliding with each other on a regular basis, and you can't always know how that's going to end up. How many times have we seen replays of guys going down and their skate comes up and comes dangerously close to cutting another player in the face, or throat?

99% of the time Cooke's skate comes down on the ice and no one even notices. Sucks for Karlsson, sucks for the SEns, sucks for the NHL, sucks for fans and, yes, sucks for Cooke.

#131 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,926 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Does any one remember the last time a player landed a high stick to another player's head. Pbbly not.

Does anyone remember when McSorley landed a stick to Brashear's head? I do

Didn't Malkin whack some guy on the head a cpl games ago, but it was determined that he was falling while doing it?

#132 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

If you honestly think Cooke did that intentionally, I don't know what to say...

/=S=/

#133 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

Didn't Malkin whack some guy on the head a cpl games ago, but it was determined that he was falling while doing it?

The league says "What? We don't remember any such thing."

Protecting their stars.

/=S=/

#134 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,185 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

If if was the team I wouldn't leave it up to the individual player. Losing Karlson after already losing Spezza is pretty much a guarantee that they won't make the playoffs.

I'm not sure if the teams can individually mandate that. It would likely have to be included in the CBA like the mandatory helmet rule was put in place years ago.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#135 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,926 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

I'm not sure if the teams can individually mandate that. It would likely have to be included in the CBA like the mandatory helmet rule was put in place years ago.

good question, though I know many players have risk management stipulations in their contracts, but osthave to do with off season activities. After signing his big contract this summer, Carey Price is no longer allowed to team rope in the off season, as mandated by the team.

#136 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

LOL at an Ottawa reporter saying Karlsson is at a Sidney Crosby level. That is extremely biased. He shouldn't of won the Norris Trophy either last year as he is such a one way player. He is good, but not that good.

Posted Image[Karlsson's] playing 30 minutes a game, a Norris trophy winner, arguably the best player in the League. It's obviously a big loss -- but like every injury, it's somebody's opportunity. We have to find out who that's going to be.Posted Image

— Senators' head coach Paul MacLean

#137 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

You should change your name. The real Maxim Yapierre would not be impressed with you...

#138 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#139 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

The only reason anybody at all thinks this is malicious is because it's Cooke. If Paul Martin did this, and somebody said "looks like he was trying to stomp on his Achilles tendon with his left foot while his right leg is positioned out with his eyes on the puck" and that person would instantly be deemed insane.

Just because Cooke's got a track record. Only reason this is being debated.
Posted Image

#140 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

That sucks, I was hoping the Sens would be the other Canadian team in the playoffs. Hopefully they can rally from this but recovering from a loss like Erik seems extremely difficult, if not impossible.

Wish him a speedy recovery. The play made me cringe.
Posted Image

#141 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,131 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

You should change your name. The real Maxim Yapierre would not be impressed with you...

The Great WHL rocks has an opinion and believes its the only one! Bow down minions!!

You are of the rare select few that believe this was a malicious intent to injure hit; I think you and your clique need to get your eyes checked.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#142 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

The Great WHL rocks has an opinion and believes its the only one! Bow down minions!!

You are of the rare select few that believe this was a malicious intent to injure hit; I think you and your clique need to get your eyes checked.

You're weird.

#143 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

This wasn't intentional.

Long before they got to the boards, cookie lifted his leg to be prepared for the pin in the corner. This type of play happens all the time in the league, the TSN analysts showed it best IMO.
It all happened in a split second, and even though it may look like the skate is coming down to hurt Karlsson, its his leg coming back down to brace himself so he can continue to pin him.
It wasn't an intend to injure, although you'll never get Sens fans saying that.

Here's the TSN video I was talking about:
http://video.tsn.ca/...p/0#main/latest

Edited by schlaBAM, 14 February 2013 - 03:41 PM.

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#144 kayubassist

kayubassist

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

that looks intentional to me.
why do you even lift your leg up as you skate toward the board.
I'd understand if he was losing balance while making the board play, but he is lifting his leg up and slice it down Karlsson's leg while moving toward the board.

well, I'm no expert at hockey but I think it's intentional and hope Cooke gets suspended for what he did.

#145 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Edited by Keke Mortson's helmet, 14 February 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#146 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

That was NOT intentional. You're either daft or bias if you think it was. After all the work Cooke has done to change his game do you guys really think that all of a sudden he would go out on a shift and think, "Hey I'm going to go and severe Karlsson's Achilles tendon." Or, "I'm going to go and step on Karlsson's leg." Even the old Cooke wouldn't do that.

The only change Cooke has made is to be sneakier about it, once a rat always a rat, my apologies to any rats offended by the comparison to Cooke.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#147 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

This wasn't intentional.

Long before they got to the boards, cookie lifted his leg to be prepared for the pin in the corner. This type of play happens all the time in the league, the TSN analysts showed it best IMO.
It all happened in a split second, and even though it may look like the skate is coming down to hurt Karlsson, its his leg coming back down to brace himself so he can continue to pin him.
It wasn't an intend to injure, although you'll never get Sens fans saying that.

Here's the TSN video I was talking about:
http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/864713/clip/0#main/latest

You don't lift a knee a foot off the ice to pin someone, nor do you turn your foot sideways like that.
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#148 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,102 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Loved this post from another message board

I've played hockey and I get that these guys are generally 100% aware of every minor movement they make with every appendage, but I still think suggesting that play was intentional is quite a stretch.

"My blade will definitely blindly find its way exactly down the back of Karlsson's skate and strike the Achilles with exactly enough force that I don't maim him for life but definitely take him out for the year because maybe we have to play these guys in the playoffs. And if I'm not hoping to sever a tendon then intentionally doing this at all is pretty useless. And I can definitely manage this without getting caught because I definitely don't want to get suspended or have Mario call me into his office again and threaten to axe my ass. If I didn't care about that, I'd just run this Karlsson kid head first into the boards or deliver a flying headshot/elbow/knee on knee. But no, because I'm dead set on making this look accidental I'm totally banking on the split-second blind skate stomp that isn't a stomp to land in exactly the right place down the back of the skate and hey, let's hope Karlsson isn't one of the few guys who wears Kevlar socks with exactly the right force. This is a fool proof plan."

Posted Image

#149 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,624 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

I like how the media is blaming everyone except Cooke in this. The referees for not stopping the play earlier, Karlsson for not wearing kevlar socks, everyone except the repeat offender. The damage control is at overkill levels.

#150 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

True. I'm embarrassed.

/=S=/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.