The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Injury] Karlsson achilles cut 70% in battle with Cooke, out 3-4 mo after surgery

elvis15

Lol. "Cooke didn't mean to do it. He's changed!" How many people do you know that have changed THAT much? And he's never done anything like that, and wouldn't? Pretty sure he's put out plenty of guys long term on purpose before. The play looks way too awkward to have it ruled out as accidental. Doesn't help it looks like he stomps down too. Not exactly sure why he needed to lift his leg up while he hit the boards in the first place.

Cooke did well in toning things down, but this is like finding a smoking gun in a convicted felon's hand with someone laying shot nearby. Doesn't look normal or natural at all. Unless Cooke was trying to climb Karlsson to get over the glass or dry hump him because he was a big fan.

Doesn't matter to me if it was accidental or not, he needs to be suspended. If you caused such injury and there is evidence of recklessness ... ie. skate up, left leg up to kick ... should result in a suspension. If NHL doesn't, players will exact their own revenge next time they play. In real life, an accidental murder ... manslaughter comes with punishment.

Yes!!! Someone on this board has some common sense. So many people say "accident, not his fault". You know, he doesn't need to be intentionally trying to cut Karlsson to be guilty.

I know this concept is too big for the tiny brains of most people here.

Manslaughter does come with a punishment, even if you accidentally kill someone with no intention or desire. Cooke was trying to trip Karlsson with his foot, which is extremely dangerous. This alone establishes guilt. 20 games. Intentional would be a lifetime ban, so consider 20 games light.

Reasons why I think it was intentional:

1)Cooke seems to have a stamping motion i.e. after his skate landed on Karlssons tendon instead of it just gliding down to the ice (which it should have done as Cooke looked off balance landing on that foot), but instead he replants his foot on the ice behind as if in complete control the whole time.

2) After Karlsson let out several screams, Cooke didn't even look back; especially since the impact into the boards was very slight, a normal reaction would have been to look back in surprise of what just happened.

3) It's Matt Cooke

4) It's Karlsson (not exactly your typical bench warmer)

No way the league was going to suspend Cooke. The NHL does not want a black eye especially coming out of a lockout. If they suspend him then the police may get involved and charge Cooke. This would drag on for years.

It would be difficult to explain how a player could cut another player's achilles tendon in their sport.

NHL pretends its an accident and life carries on. I expect TSN and SPSN analysts to do the responsible thing and play along so their bread and butter provider does not take a hit. Otherwise CNN reports on what happened and NHL gets another black eye on par with the Bertuzzi incident.

I called it yesterday. NHL brushed it under the carpet.

No way the league was going to suspend Cooke. The NHL does not want a black eye especially coming out of a lockout. If they suspend him then the police may get involved and charge Cooke. This would drag on for years.

It would be difficult to explain how a player could cut another player's achilles tendon in their sport.

NHL pretends its an accident and life carries on. I expect TSN and SPSN analysts to do the responsible thing and play along so their bread and butter provider does not take a hit. Otherwise CNN reports on what happened and NHL gets another black eye on par with the Bertuzzi incident.

I called it yesterday. NHL brushed it under the carpet.

I think it was intentional and think he is pure evil. I wouldn't doubt he researched how to injur a top defenseman and make it look like an accident. This sport is not as innocent as some would love to believe, and I am not fooled by it.

To me the question isn't whether Cooke intended to injure Karlsson (which i think he didn't) but rather if his play was reckless or not. Fumbling about with a knee at the back of an opponent trying to pin him and then put it down with force with no control where the blade goes. Its just asking for someone to get hurt. If this really was a standard play (as i recall TSN experts argued) then i think there would be a lot more severe injuries in this league.

If you intentionally lift your blade in close proximity to another player you better know where it goes down before you put any weight on it.

Archived