The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

DEAL BALLARD?(Ottawa, Det, LA, losing D)

Seeing some teams losing D-men, especially Ottawa today. What would be fair to receive from them(don't know much about their prospects). Tough to break up a good thing; but Tanev is so solid he'd probably smoothly move on with another pairing.

It helps us to prepare for next year's Cap adjustment.

As Gillis stated in the Luo potential move, we should only do this if a team will overpay. Right now it appears Ottawa might.

Would like to see a proposal or two(with a slight overpayment), from any who know their prospects(supposedly well-stocked) well-thanks.

Powerice-No, as per title, I'm suggesting Ballard to Ottawa.

@Vintage: Yeah, these D-injuries are piling up, making our genius gm appear rather prescient. So does he take a chance(smite while the iron's hot)? Or is it too risky to deal Ballard? With the guys we have, #7-10, I say make a deal if Ottawa would overpay.

Nighthawk:What you have to recognize though, is the effect upon supply/demand. More teams are losing D to injury, thus, there are less to potentially deal. Remember what they say about a bucket of ice(w/cooler!) in the desert.

Furthermore, you've got a shortened season where gm's have to think fast. It appears a perfect storm, with Gillis predicting like a meteorologist!

There are strong similarities with the current D AND goaltender-shortage, league-wide. I can hear Gillis'cell ringing as we type...

Wow... a trade involving Ballard. That's never happened on CDC.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for trading off underachieving high-paid players in preparation of next season's lowered cap. But I still don't think Ballard has a ton of trade value... despite his solid play this season.

With the horrible injury to Karlsson, do you think that the Senators may pay a reasonable price for him?

I think Ballard has played well this year and is a top 4 dman on many teams.

Ballard is not in the category as Karlsson but he would help the Sens out a lot and they have a lot of cap space.

Although I do believe this is

a. the best time to trade him for a higher return and;

b. a better alternative to the all but certain decision to buy him out in the off-season for no other reason than cap reasons.

I worry that if we DO trade him, a devastating injury may happen shortly after, being a detriment to our defense.

Not to mention we do not necessarily have a replacement that is near the skill that Ballard possesses. I would prefer not to see Alberts or Barker as a permanent fixture in our top 6 this season. Maybe Vandermeer could suffice, I don't know..

I'd rather keep Ballard, he's quietly been one of our best guys on the blueline. We shouldn't trade any of our defencemen anyway or we'll be lacking depth once again. I like having Barker and Vandermeer as backup options, but only if one of our top-6 get injured - until then they hopefully won't play a game.

Honestly the Canucks have the best top-6 in the NHL without a doubt, and you win defences with championships, so why bother trading away our great depth? Ballard is playing like a 3-4 million dollar guy now which he hasn't been doing his whole tenure as a Canuck, let's not trade him now.

Archived