The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

DEAL BALLARD?(Ottawa, Det, LA, losing D)

Ballard's been really good this year. Great skater, blocks shots, not afraid to drop the mitts, good passer, I'd much prefer if we kept him; our D if a top 4 goes down (which is likely) without Ballard doesn't look so great:

I'll use the least harmful top 4 going town to illustrate my point (Garrison)

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Alberts-Barker

Vandermeer

Keep the depth on the blueline please Gillis.

If we trade Ballard and somehow pick up another dman in a Luongo deal let's say Carlson for example, then I think it would make sense. If not than I say keep Ballard.

Hammer juice

Edler carlson

Garrison tanev

Imagine that for a starting 6? One can dream

To paraphrase Gillis on a 'tender-deal. We'll listen if a team would meet our demands on trade-return.

I believe he should apply this answer to Ballard & Booth, as well. Also think we'll be disappointed getting a weak return on these guys, after the season ends.

Don't see the window closing as quickly as I've heard others say. It's interesting to watch the kids like Kassian & Schroeder emerge-add more to the youth & size if the opportunity is presented. JMHO.

Seeing some teams losing D-men, especially Ottawa today. What would be fair to receive from them(don't know much about their prospects). Tough to break up a good thing; but Tanev is so solid he'd probably smoothly move on with another pairing.

It helps us to prepare for next year's Cap adjustment.

As Gillis stated in the Luo potential move, we should only do this if a team will overpay. Right now it appears Ottawa might.

Would like to see a proposal or two(with a slight overpayment), from any who know their prospects(supposedly well-stocked) well-thanks.

Ballard was and still is a 4 million dollar defenseman.... except he's utilized in a role reserved for players around the 2 million range.

In a limited role, guys like Alberts, Barker and Vandermeer can easily fill in for bottom pairing.

While I'm a firm supporter of Ballard, I'd much rather have his salary cap allocated to improve elsewhere on the team.

• 1 month later...

Wow really.. Your the one saying this....? :blink:

First you went from: "Tanev has been carrying Ballard"

To: "Ballard has quietly been one of our best guys on the blueline"

Wow.. I like it. Glad to see you noticed his strong play just like the rest of us.

And to the OP, no reason for us to trade away our strength just to help out other teams, everything about our team is great, no reason to mess with that.

If you think that everything with this team is great you are seriously delusional.

That said:

VAN

LW/RW Jakob Silfverberg

LW Guillaume Latendresse (rental, re-sign based upon performance)

OTT

D Keith Ballard

2013 2nd

2014 3rd

With an injured Kesler:

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Raymond/Schroeder/Hansen

Latendresse/Lapierre/Silfverberg

Higgins/Ebbett/Kassian

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Edler/Carlsson or Alzner in a Luongo deal

Garrison/Tanev

Schneider

Holtby (From a Luongo Deal)

With a healthy Kesler:

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Raymond/Kesler/Silfverberg

Latendresse/Schroeder/Hansen

Higgins/Lapierre/Kassian

Next year if Latendresse is re-signed, and having re-signed Lapierre:

Sedin/Sedin/Burrows

Silfverberg/Kesler/Hansen

Kassian/Schroeder/Jensen

Latendresse/Lapierre/_______

It's possible. I think Ballard has looked good enough that he's at least worth something. There are definitely teams with money to spend that would be happy to add him. And he's a lot more low risk now that there are only a couple years left on his contract.

I'm really not sure what his value is though. He's still kinda a big question mark so I'm not sure if he'd bring back more than a fringe player, minor prospect or lower round draft pick.

Part of the problem too is that I'd be a little hesitant to give him up without adding another depth D man in return. But he might not be worth anything in addition to that. Hence, it might be in our interest to just hold onto him until the off season.

Archived