The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should The Canucks Have Gone After Matt Carle Instead of Garrison?

Pasific Coluseum

No matter which way you slice it folks its evident Jason Garrsion has been a bust with a measly 2 points in 12 games played for the Vancouver Canucks. Being a huuuge Free Agent acquisition everyone was expecting a difference maker, but it could be argued keeping Salo might have been the wiser choice.

I think the Canucks made a regrettable decision in signing Garrison and the brass were more enamored by the fact Garrison was a BC boy. Similiar to the Hamuis effect when they signed Dan during Free Agency a couple years ago.

It's looking more and more like another Florida Panther acquisition gone bad i.e Ballard, Duco, Reinprecht, Oreskevich etc.. Now if we re-signed Salo, signed Matt Carle and waived/traded/demoted Ballard, Malhotra, Raymond our power play would not suck like it does. Matt Carle is a stud and is an upgraded Christian Erhoff. Imagine him on our PP.. Suffice to say it would be lights out for the opposition.

Willing to give it a bit longer before I render my verdict on Jason but frankly it's not looking all rosy and sunny. I'm starting to get buyer's remorse on Garrison. Please don't let it be another Ballard situation.

I went to the game last night and paid close attention to Jason and honestly he looks so clueless out there. He gets scared when he has the puck and just tries to tie it up in the corner. I consider him a huge dissapointment this year but at the same time I said from the beinning that we better not pay all that money for him, then we did...

2 points in 12 games... yuk.. At least hes a +7

I know it's been said before, but it's worth saying again. Anyone who was expecting big offensive numbers out of Garrison this year was fooling themselves. He scored 16 goals last year based on an unsustainable hot streak - he had 11 goals in the first 37 games, and then only 5 in the last 45, when his shooting percentage inevitably regressed to the mean. He was simply never going to score at a 16 goal pace this year.

Also, if people were expecting a slick passing point man who would rack up assists, they weren't paying attention. He only had 17 last year, despite getting a ton of PP time.

Having said all that, it was still a very good signing, and to call him a bust is completely ridiculous. Garrison is an excellent shut down defenseman - one of the best in the league by some measures. He's already fulfilling that role here. He has the second highest Corsi of D-men on our team. He's slightly behind Ballard, but Garrison has faced much more difficult competition. In other words, he's arguably been our best defenseman so far.

Anyone expecting an offensive dynamo was being foolish, but we should appreciate what we've got - a top notch shut down d-man who can chip in on offense, at a very reasonable price.

Ballard does not suck. When he plays with emotion, he can be one of our best defensemen. Better than Hamhuis.

Duco wasn't given the chance to play more minutes and a bigger role on the 4th line. He was suppose to be an enforcer but he wasn't given the chance to show what he could do. Oreskovich had somewhat of an impact but he wasn't fighting when he was suppose to be our "tough" guy. He throws hits and is decent defensively. That's what we expect from 3rd/4th line grinders.

And I'm pretty sure Reinprecht never even played a game as a Canuck. He was acquired just for salary issues and that the Panthers could dump someone back because they knew they were taking two oldies for a great young player. Give Garrison more time, he'll understand how the West works and how AV wants him to be played, and he'll flourish. It's just like Jay Bouwmeester. Everyone expected Bouwmeester to do extremely well and produce offensively for the Flames but after three or four seasons, he hasn't done jack squat but he's finally understood what it takes to play in the West.

Guys Henrik Sedin is a bust.... 0 goals, and only 8 assists in 12 games... He's getting powerplay time, and still hasn't racked up a goal. Last game he got pushed around wayyyy too much for a first liner...

Am I doing it right?

We're 8-2-2, without Kesler and Booth. Watch, once Kesler is back Garrison will start to score. Kesler makes his living in front of the net screening goalies. Screened goalie, and a Garisson clapper? Also I'd like to add Garrison had the hardest shot on the Canucks.

Archived