Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 6 votes

Should The Canucks Have Gone After Matt Carle Instead of Garrison?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 Pasific Coluseum

Pasific Coluseum

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

No matter which way you slice it folks its evident Jason Garrsion has been a bust with a measly 2 points in 12 games played for the Vancouver Canucks. Being a huuuge Free Agent acquisition everyone was expecting a difference maker, but it could be argued keeping Salo might have been the wiser choice.

I think the Canucks made a regrettable decision in signing Garrison and the brass were more enamored by the fact Garrison was a BC boy. Similiar to the Hamuis effect when they signed Dan during Free Agency a couple years ago.

It's looking more and more like another Florida Panther acquisition gone bad i.e Ballard, Duco, Reinprecht, Oreskevich etc.. Now if we re-signed Salo, signed Matt Carle and waived/traded/demoted Ballard, Malhotra, Raymond our power play would not suck like it does. Matt Carle is a stud and is an upgraded Christian Erhoff. Imagine him on our PP.. Suffice to say it would be lights out for the opposition.

Willing to give it a bit longer before I render my verdict on Jason but frankly it's not looking all rosy and sunny. I'm starting to get buyer's remorse on Garrison. Please don't let it be another Ballard situation.

Edited by Pasific Coluseum, 13 February 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#2 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:32 PM

POPULAR

lol @ bust

shut up
Posted Image

#3 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,318 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

No

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#4 Gally

Gally

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,455 posts

I bet you were one of tho guys who were thrilled to get Garrison.

1zcq151.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

my mom wouldn't let me touch the laptop because I have to stand after I eat....kinda stupid

#5 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

I'm not impressed with Garrison yet but it's still early. I just hope he wasn't having a lucky season in Florida last year.

#6 AriGold

AriGold

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

I went to the game last night and paid close attention to Jason and honestly he looks so clueless out there. He gets scared when he has the puck and just tries to tie it up in the corner. I consider him a huge dissapointment this year but at the same time I said from the beinning that we better not pay all that money for him, then we did...

2 points in 12 games... yuk.. At least hes a +7

fept5bc.jpg

#7 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,861 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

He has been solid defensively. Sure, he's not racking up the points but he hasn't been getting much PP time at all, and is currently paired with BIEKSA.

What can you expect out of him right now?

Edited by LordofBrussels, 13 February 2013 - 08:40 PM.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,738 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

POPULAR

Because CDC has been bang on at assessing players in the past...

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#9 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

Once Garrison gets more comfortable he will dominate.

#10 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Rather a FA than give up a first + more for him.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#11 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Before you can label someone a bust, you need to list what your expectations were.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#12 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

POPULAR

I know it's been said before, but it's worth saying again. Anyone who was expecting big offensive numbers out of Garrison this year was fooling themselves. He scored 16 goals last year based on an unsustainable hot streak - he had 11 goals in the first 37 games, and then only 5 in the last 45, when his shooting percentage inevitably regressed to the mean. He was simply never going to score at a 16 goal pace this year.

Also, if people were expecting a slick passing point man who would rack up assists, they weren't paying attention. He only had 17 last year, despite getting a ton of PP time.

Having said all that, it was still a very good signing, and to call him a bust is completely ridiculous. Garrison is an excellent shut down defenseman - one of the best in the league by some measures. He's already fulfilling that role here. He has the second highest Corsi of D-men on our team. He's slightly behind Ballard, but Garrison has faced much more difficult competition. In other words, he's arguably been our best defenseman so far.

Anyone expecting an offensive dynamo was being foolish, but we should appreciate what we've got - a top notch shut down d-man who can chip in on offense, at a very reasonable price.

#13 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,538 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

OP logic: it only takes 12 games to decide if a player is a bust or not. It makes it even more accurate when those 12 games are with a brand new team.

#14 Mr. Ramsay

Mr. Ramsay

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

Ballard does not suck. When he plays with emotion, he can be one of our best defensemen. Better than Hamhuis.

Duco wasn't given the chance to play more minutes and a bigger role on the 4th line. He was suppose to be an enforcer but he wasn't given the chance to show what he could do. Oreskovich had somewhat of an impact but he wasn't fighting when he was suppose to be our "tough" guy. He throws hits and is decent defensively. That's what we expect from 3rd/4th line grinders.

And I'm pretty sure Reinprecht never even played a game as a Canuck. He was acquired just for salary issues and that the Panthers could dump someone back because they knew they were taking two oldies for a great young player. Give Garrison more time, he'll understand how the West works and how AV wants him to be played, and he'll flourish. It's just like Jay Bouwmeester. Everyone expected Bouwmeester to do extremely well and produce offensively for the Flames but after three or four seasons, he hasn't done jack squat but he's finally understood what it takes to play in the West.

Posted Image

#15 Nas19

Nas19

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Stopped reading at, "Jason Garrison has been a bust with a measly 2 points in 12 games."

#16 dinga

dinga

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I'm sorry... Ballard has looked pretty good this season.

#17 laxgoalie

laxgoalie

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Guys Henrik Sedin is a bust.... 0 goals, and only 8 assists in 12 games... He's getting powerplay time, and still hasn't racked up a goal. Last game he got pushed around wayyyy too much for a first liner...
Am I doing it right?

We're 8-2-2, without Kesler and Booth. Watch, once Kesler is back Garrison will start to score. Kesler makes his living in front of the net screening goalies. Screened goalie, and a Garisson clapper? Also I'd like to add Garrison had the hardest shot on the Canucks.
Posted Image Posted Image

#18 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

Points aren't everything he's playing good defensively hence the +7

#19 KeslerBEAST

KeslerBEAST

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

team doesn't use him really well on the powerplay, no one ever sets him up for an easy one timer and instead choose to give it to him in awkward positions where he can't take a shot or an easy one at least

#20 Apples

Apples

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,913 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

We need Campbell to set him up on the PP

apple_e0.gif

apple_e0.gifapple_e0.gif

apple_e0.gifapple_e0.gifapple_e0.gif

#21 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

team doesn't use him really well on the powerplay, no one ever sets him up for an easy one timer and instead choose to give it to him in awkward positions where he can't take a shot or an easy one at least

This too

#22 22Sedinery33

22Sedinery33

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

Hes fine defensively it's just a matter of time until he can contribute offensively like he did in Florida by getting used to our system. Have some patience with the guy...
Posted Image

#23 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

I am actually impressed by Garrison's defensive play. Big and strong guy, capable of clearing people away from the net.. I didn't expect him to be as good as he has been...

His offensive play has been disappointing so far for sure though. He doesn't shoot the puck enough, and when he does, it's usually blocked or misses the net.. We are gonna need him to start producing soon

#24 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,696 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

Garrison is a better fit here. We needed more of a shutdown guy and that isn't Carle. Carle is alright, but Edler and Bieksa make him redundant.

Anyway, our defense is very nice-looking right now the way it is. The goalies aren't complaining.

Sure, Garry's not putting up a lot of points at the moment, but Edler sure is.

Lol at the 'verdict' of a player from a person who clearly lacks a meaningful understanding of the game.
Posted Image

#25 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

Don't know what games you have been watching, kid. Garrison and Ballard have been the Canuck's two best D, from what I see. Tanev and Bieksa have been good and Hammer and Eddie haven't played up to their regular high standard.

An 8-2-2 record indicates to me that more things are going right than wrong defensively. Garrison's +7 is a pretty nice stat, too.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#26 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 69,116 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

Nope, he's a BC boy, it has been a dream for him to play for the Canucks.

But to be honest he hasn't look too great so far. Yesterday, you could blame him on the lone goal by the Wild as he failed to get it out. I think he really needs practice shooting on target than just blasting it and going wide.

307mg00.jpg

#27 hf44

hf44

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

OP logic: it only takes 12 games to decide if a player is a bust or not. It makes it even more accurate when those 12 games are with a brand new team.

I guess that means both Hodgson and Grabner were bust here too. :frantic:
No wonder they were traded.

#28 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

Wow, some people should just stay away from the computer. Garrison has been very good and will continue to get better when he is comfortable with the system. He is big and mobile, and makes a great first pass. I think the Canucks need to get him back on the power play, but maybe they're working on things in practice first. His shot needs to be on net more as he seems to not be missing more often then not.
:towel:

#29 ManUtd

ManUtd

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

Reinprecht? Really? Pretty sure we took him in order to get our 3rd rounder back because Florida didn't want to pay him that kind of money to sit in the minors.

rsz_avs.jpg

#30 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,798 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

We have the best goals against in the conference and tied for the best in the NHL....

Oh I'm sorry is there something wrong with our defense?

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 13 February 2013 - 09:22 PM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.