The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should The Canucks Have Gone After Matt Carle Instead of Garrison?

Pasific Coluseum

I went to the game last night and paid close attention to Jason and honestly he looks so clueless out there. He gets scared when he has the puck and just tries to tie it up in the corner. I consider him a huge dissapointment this year but at the same time I said from the beinning that we better not pay all that money for him, then we did...

2 points in 12 games... yuk.. At least hes a +7

interesting stat that probably no one knows. Garrison has played against the highest quality of competition out of any defensemen on our team. I think its measured in the corsi or some weird advanced stat thing. But yeah, I haven`t seen him make many defensive mistakes, which is pretty good for someone playing against the best opposition players.

I know it's been said before, but it's worth saying again. Anyone who was expecting big offensive numbers out of Garrison this year was fooling themselves. He scored 16 goals last year based on an unsustainable hot streak - he had 11 goals in the first 37 games, and then only 5 in the last 45, when his shooting percentage inevitably regressed to the mean. He was simply never going to score at a 16 goal pace this year.

Also, if people were expecting a slick passing point man who would rack up assists, they weren't paying attention. He only had 17 last year, despite getting a ton of PP time.

Having said all that, it was still a very good signing, and to call him a bust is completely ridiculous. Garrison is an excellent shut down defenseman - one of the best in the league by some measures. He's already fulfilling that role here. He has the second highest Corsi of D-men on our team. He's slightly behind Ballard, but Garrison has faced much more difficult competition. In other words, he's arguably been our best defenseman so far.

Anyone expecting an offensive dynamo was being foolish, but we should appreciate what we've got - a top notch shut down d-man who can chip in on offense, at a very reasonable price.

I know it's been said before, but it's worth saying again. Anyone who was expecting big offensive numbers out of Garrison this year was fooling themselves. He scored 16 goals last year based on an unsustainable hot streak - he had 11 goals in the first 37 games, and then only 5 in the last 45, when his shooting percentage inevitably regressed to the mean. He was simply never going to score at a 16 goal pace this year.

Also, if people were expecting a slick passing point man who would rack up assists, they weren't paying attention. He only had 17 last year, despite getting a ton of PP time.

Having said all that, it was still a very good signing, and to call him a bust is completely ridiculous. Garrison is an excellent shut down defenseman - one of the best in the league by some measures. He's already fulfilling that role here. He has the second highest Corsi of D-men on our team. He's slightly behind Ballard, but Garrison has faced much more difficult competition. In other words, he's arguably been our best defenseman so far.

Anyone expecting an offensive dynamo was being foolish, but we should appreciate what we've got - a top notch shut down d-man who can chip in on offense, at a very reasonable price.

Archived