The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should The Canucks Have Gone After Matt Carle Instead of Garrison?

Pasific Coluseum

I am actually impressed by Garrison's defensive play. Big and strong guy, capable of clearing people away from the net.. I didn't expect him to be as good as he has been...

His offensive play has been disappointing so far for sure though. He doesn't shoot the puck enough, and when he does, it's usually blocked or misses the net.. We are gonna need him to start producing soon

Garrison is a better fit here. We needed more of a shutdown guy and that isn't Carle. Carle is alright, but Edler and Bieksa make him redundant.

Anyway, our defense is very nice-looking right now the way it is. The goalies aren't complaining.

Sure, Garry's not putting up a lot of points at the moment, but Edler sure is.

Lol at the 'verdict' of a player from a person who clearly lacks a meaningful understanding of the game.

Don't know what games you have been watching, kid. Garrison and Ballard have been the Canuck's two best D, from what I see. Tanev and Bieksa have been good and Hammer and Eddie haven't played up to their regular high standard.

An 8-2-2 record indicates to me that more things are going right than wrong defensively. Garrison's +7 is a pretty nice stat, too.

Wow, some people should just stay away from the computer. Garrison has been very good and will continue to get better when he is comfortable with the system. He is big and mobile, and makes a great first pass. I think the Canucks need to get him back on the power play, but maybe they're working on things in practice first. His shot needs to be on net more as he seems to not be missing more often then not.

I have been disapointed with Garrison so far, he's actually been our worst defenceman defensively in his own zone. The only thing he brings that no one else has is that toughness in front of our own net - something we've lacked for years. He'll shine in the playoffs, but right now he's still making poor decisions with the puck.

That being said he's a team high +7 and has some nice stats. 1 goal, 1 assist in 12 games equates to around 7 goals in a full season which isn't shabby.

adjusting to a new system and new d partners, no training camp and some players take longer to make the adjustment hopefully garrison will find his game and thrive here. i wouldn't call the guy a bust for a while yet. i'm sure he 's putting a ton of pressure on himself and that never helps anything. there's no guarantees with any player coming in mg went after what he and many others thought was the best player available. only time will tell, try this again after the season.

Not a chance. 5.5 million for him is way too much. We have similar and better players for much less.

Jason Garrison needs to be better.

He's not as bad as some of you think he is.

At the same time hes not as good as some of you think either. He's been mediocre at best, he's betting paid Hamhius, Bieksa, Edler money, but he is by no means at the moment in their calibre. Not even close, and I don't expect it to ever happen. I just hope he continues to improve. Playing in the West is a little harder then playing in the east. He does need to improve. So far not very impressed with him. Heck Ballard, and Tanev is looking better then him.

To the OP:

If the Canucks brass wanted an apple they would've went after an apple but what they wanted was an orange so they went after an orange.

For further explanation, click this post:

/topic/339981-should-the-canucks-have-gone-after-matt-carle-instead-of-garrison/#entry11139505">http://forum.canucks.../#entry11139505

Nope, he's a BC boy, it has been a dream for him to play for the Canucks.

But to be honest he hasn't look too great so far. Yesterday, you could blame him on the lone goal by the Wild as he failed to get it out. I think he really needs practice shooting on target than just blasting it and going wide.

Archived