The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should The Canucks Have Gone After Matt Carle Instead of Garrison?

Pasific Coluseum

+7 hmm so he's been involved in goals even if he's not been the one to shoot or make the last two passes. and obviously he's been solid on the D side of things. What were you expecting exactly Karlsson numbers? or Enstrom numbers!? He's not a European he's canadian and plays with heart and come playoff time you will be loving the JG5 effect trust me :emot-parrot:

No matter which way you slice it folks its evident Jason Garrsion has been a bust with a measly 2 points in 12 games played for the Vancouver Canucks. Being a huuuge Free Agent acquisition everyone was expecting a difference maker, but it could be argued keeping Salo might have been the wiser choice.

I think the Canucks made a regrettable decision in signing Garrison and the brass were more enamored by the fact Garrison was a BC boy. Similiar to the Hamuis effect when they signed Dan during Free Agency a couple years ago.

It's looking more and more like another Florida Panther acquisition gone bad i.e Ballard, Duco, Reinprecht, Oreskevich etc.. Now if we re-signed Salo, signed Matt Carle and waived/traded/demoted Ballard, Malhotra, Raymond our power play would not suck like it does. Matt Carle is a stud and is an upgraded Christian Erhoff. Imagine him on our PP.. Suffice to say it would be lights out for the opposition.

Willing to give it a bit longer before I render my verdict on Jason but frankly it's not looking all rosy and sunny. I'm starting to get buyer's remorse on Garrison. Please don't let it be another Ballard situation.

No matter which way you slice it folks its evident Jason Garrsion has been a bust with a measly 2 points in 12 games played for the Vancouver Canucks. Being a huuuge Free Agent acquisition everyone was expecting a difference maker, but it could be argued keeping Salo might have been the wiser choice.

I think the Canucks made a regrettable decision in signing Garrison and the brass were more enamored by the fact Garrison was a BC boy. Similiar to the Hamuis effect when they signed Dan during Free Agency a couple years ago.

It's looking more and more like another Florida Panther acquisition gone bad i.e Ballard, Duco, Reinprecht, Oreskevich etc.. Now if we re-signed Salo, signed Matt Carle and waived/traded/demoted Ballard, Malhotra, Raymond our power play would not suck like it does. Matt Carle is a stud and is an upgraded Christian Erhoff. Imagine him on our PP.. Suffice to say it would be lights out for the opposition.

Willing to give it a bit longer before I render my verdict on Jason but frankly it's not looking all rosy and sunny. I'm starting to get buyer's remorse on Garrison. Please don't let it be another Ballard situation.

Garrison scored almost half of his goals and 13 of his assists 5 on 5, on a Florida team that was 27th in offence. And you dont think he could easily beat or match those numbers when playing with one of the top offences in the league? Those numbers were not luck.

Garrison has a rocket of a shot, but like many defencemen when they move to new teams there is always a transition period as they get comfortable with a new team and system. Right now he is just trying to not make to many mistakes while playing a responsible game and getting used to a new partner.

He is already doing very well defensively, the offence will come with time, and right now I would much rather have a defencemen that a defencemen who recons himself a foward...

wow you guys are amazing if I can count the times people complained about not having enough canadian talent on this team. So MG signs Garrison, a canadian boy. why we have these high expectations for him too match what he did in florida. Give your head a shake, like alot of people said he doesnt have a great setup guy, so its hard for him to get that big booming shot off. I also haven't seen him getting alot of power play time and yes its only 12 games. He's better then salo china glass.

I know it's been said before, but it's worth saying again. Anyone who was expecting big offensive numbers out of Garrison this year was fooling themselves. He scored 16 goals last year based on an unsustainable hot streak - he had 11 goals in the first 37 games, and then only 5 in the last 45, when his shooting percentage inevitably regressed to the mean. He was simply never going to score at a 16 goal pace this year.

Also, if people were expecting a slick passing point man who would rack up assists, they weren't paying attention. He only had 17 last year, despite getting a ton of PP time.

Having said all that, it was still a very good signing, and to call him a bust is completely ridiculous. Garrison is an excellent shut down defenseman - one of the best in the league by some measures. He's already fulfilling that role here. He has the second highest Corsi of D-men on our team. He's slightly behind Ballard, but Garrison has faced much more difficult competition. In other words, he's arguably been our best defenseman so far.

Anyone expecting an offensive dynamo was being foolish, but we should appreciate what we've got - a top notch shut down d-man who can chip in on offense, at a very reasonable price.

To OP

You need to acquire some patience.

I'm not over the moon with Garrison but that is because he never came with what I wanted in the first place.......a nasty push back edge to his game.

However he is here now and it is too early to say he is a bust. He needs to work on his gunnery sight though, that's for sure.

As for Ballard, as soon as he got fit and was played decent minutes on his natural side, he was the player we signed.......a thoroughbred D man, with a deceptive gliding style, a good slap when it's set up and a mean mf when the occasion calls for it. Over and above that he has terrific chemistry with Tanev. You only had to watch Tanev in Chicago to see how he missed his sidekick.

The Canucks defense has been very solid so far this season, and Garrison is a big part of the reason. Ballard is finally coming into his own and playing they way he was expected and Garrison adds to that dimension and makes the team more balanced. Even when missing Kesler and Booth and with the Sedins still finding their game, the Canucks are racking up the wins and are very hard to play against. In time Garrison wil start unleashing his huge slap shot and be used on the PP, but right now he's focusing on effective shut down defense, and he's doing a great job.

I am actually impressed by Garrison's defensive play. Big and strong guy, capable of clearing people away from the net.. I didn't expect him to be as good as he has been...

His offensive play has been disappointing so far for sure though. He doesn't shoot the puck enough, and when he does, it's usually blocked or misses the net.. We are gonna need him to start producing soon

Spot on.

After watching Garrison take point shots I'm thinking I never gave enough credit to Salo and Edler for finding ways to get pucks through to the net. He obviously has a rocket, but everytime I see Garrison wind up I'm thinking "well we're about to lose the puck."

But defensively he's been better than advertised so it's tough to complain too much. If he finds a way to hit the net he'll be a great addition.

I think it is hard for a player to adjust to a completely new system.

Look at Ballard. He's been one of our more solid d-men, and it took him forever to "get it". I see some pretty good talent from Garrison, but I'm sure everyone was aware of the potential risk of signing him to a big contract with a fairly small sample size of his abilities.

I think it is too early to call him a bust - especially considering he leads the team in +/-.

Matt Carle is a great puck moving D for sure, but I think what Garrison adds to our defense is of much greater value.

As others have said, he will be a 'breath of fresh air' in the playoffs. Just can't see a Byfuggy type bullying our goalies. He's a massive guy, who will withstand the punishment during the playoffs. The bonus will be when his offensive side kicks in.

Archived