Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 6 votes

Should The Canucks Have Gone After Matt Carle Instead of Garrison?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#91 nuckfanfromafrica

nuckfanfromafrica

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

grass is not always greener. Weber, Suter...Too early

#92 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,375 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

No it isn't and yes they can.

Elaborate then .
Posted Image

#93 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

No but they should have gone after Duncan Keith.
Physically...

#94 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,939 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

No but they should have gone after Duncan Keith.
Physically...

and emotionally and mentally and spiritually and monetarially? :rolleyes:

Or you know they could just try to win the games they play against Chicago.
Posted Image

#95 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

If you look at Garisson's career, he is better known as a shut-down Dman.

shut-down

he can score a bit, probably contribute more if things start clicking.... but he is a safe acquisition because he is a shut-down type first

#96 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,485 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

If you look at Garisson's career, he is better known as a shut-down Dman.

shut-down

he can score a bit, probably contribute more if things start clicking.... but he is a safe acquisition because he is a shut-down type first

I find it absolutely hilarious how many people on CDC have no concept of how important good defending is to a defenceman. I mean the word is part of the position.

In fact it blows me away. They figure one or two good defenders are required to help out the goalie and every other defender is measured by the points they get.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#97 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,406 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Carle
his -19.66 corsi is 16th on Tampa, -2 is tied for worst on Tampa
6 years 5.5

Garrison
+8.88 corsi is 7th on Vancouver, +7 is tied for best on the Canucks
6 years 4.6
has less points, must be a bust

fun thread, but no better than the "overhyped" blah blah already been done thread...

Edited by oldnews, 14 February 2013 - 09:37 PM.

#98 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

No matter which way you slice it folks its evident Jason Garrsion has been a bust with a measly 2 points in 12 games played for the Vancouver Canucks. Being a huuuge Free Agent acquisition everyone was expecting a difference maker, but it could be argued keeping Salo might have been the wiser choice.

I think the Canucks made a regrettable decision in signing Garrison and the brass were more enamored by the fact Garrison was a BC boy. Similiar to the Hamuis effect when they signed Dan during Free Agency a couple years ago.

It's looking more and more like another Florida Panther acquisition gone bad i.e Ballard, Duco, Reinprecht, Oreskevich etc.. Now if we re-signed Salo, signed Matt Carle and waived/traded/demoted Ballard, Malhotra, Raymond our power play would not suck like it does. Matt Carle is a stud and is an upgraded Christian Erhoff. Imagine him on our PP.. Suffice to say it would be lights out for the opposition.

Willing to give it a bit longer before I render my verdict on Jason but frankly it's not looking all rosy and sunny. I'm starting to get buyer's remorse on Garrison. Please don't let it be another Ballard situation.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#99 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

I agree that it's not impossible for him to score 16 goals again, but it will be very difficult. Even if you assume an 8% shooting percentage (which is still very good for a defenseman, but not impossible) he would need to get 200 shots to score 16 goals. Last year he had 168 in 77 games, so increasing that to 200 on a team in which he's not guaranteed PP time is a very tall order. So far this year he has 19 shots in 12 games, which is a slower rate than he had last year.

You make a good point about his assists and the second half, though, and it kind of illustrates how he was affected by puck luck. I would guess that a lot of those assists were off rebounds or deflections on the powerplay - shots that were going in for him in the first half. It shows that any drop in his shooting percentage should be partially compensated in more assists. Going forward, I think it's reasonable to expect between 5-10 goals and 30-35 points for Garrison.

I agree it was probably some puck luck and him seeing his shot might be blocked and passing to a more open shooter. Of course having a blast like he does, makes for that many more rebounds, and thus more chances created.

I think he is very much guaranteed PP time, he is already pretty much 2nd (1 sec less than Hamhuis) in PP time per game for dmen. Thats a full minute less than he was playing on the PP last year. One of the reasons he was brought in was because of his ability to man the point on the PP. I fully expect he will start taking more time from Hamhuis as he gets more comfortable, leaving Hammer to more of his defensive responsibilities. I think the biggest reason he hasnt shot as much is that he isnt getting the 1 timers to. I can barely think of a handful of shots where he had the opportunity to fire away. With time and more confidence in system he will certainly start to pull the trigger more. Im not expecting his to become a Norris candidate or anything of the sort, and he may very well not reach that goal mark again, but I def think he has the capability to bypass his best numbers in Florida.

#100 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

and emotionally and mentally and spiritually and monetarially? :rolleyes:

Or you know they could just try to win the games they play against Chicago.

They are already trying to do that and so far its 1-1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.