#1 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

POPULAR

As of tonight Roberto Luongo has the lowest goals against average among qualified NHL goalies at 1.45. He is second in save percentage at .943. (And the Canucks lead the lead with the lowest overall goals against average.)

It is hard to believe he can continue at this pace but if he does it will be his best year ever. And I wonder if a Vezina trophy is possible for a goaltender who plays only a little over half his team's games?

The goalie is the most important player on the ice most nights. Without great goaltending the Canucks would have only a mediocre record right now instead of being one of the top team in the NHL.

MG indicated that other GMs were willing to take Luongo as a salary dump -- they would take on the salary but not give much in return and indicated he would not make a trade on that basis. Right now MG looks smart for not trading Luongo and it is hard to imagine any trade that would improve the team right now. As it is, the Canucks will not have an easy time deciding who to demote when Kesler and Booth come back.

#2 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:39 AM

POPULAR

All the people who threw Luongo under the bus and wanted to trade him for a bag of pucks are sure enjoying a nice plate of crow right now.

RIP LB RR PD

#3 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:39 AM

This should be played as the game intro every time he starts :D

x_x_tumblr_miyglaKcds1s75lpdo1_500.gif

On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami :ph34r:

#4 Display Name

Display Name

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:11 AM

Thomas Vanek leads the league in points as of tonight.
Believe in Schneider.

#5 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,208 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

Luongo is probably the best goalie in the league right now behind Anderson and Rinne, maybe even Price. You don't trade away a top-5 goalie to sit with a guy who's around top-20 in stats in Schneider.

Right now Lu and Schneider have played the same number of games and it's quite obvious. Luongo > Schneider.
Posted Image

#6 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vae_AkLb4Q

This should be played as the game intro every time he starts :D

I think they play it every time he gets a shutout and is first star lol

#7 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:37 AM

assuming they split the season 50-50 and Luongo plays say another 17 full games, and he averages 3 goals against in all those games (and i seriously doubt that's going to happen) his GAA would still be 2.55 for the season. his previous best GAA for a year is 2.11 won't be surprised if he tops that the way he is going.

#8 Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Zack_Kassians_Elbow

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:49 AM

Luongo is probably the best goalie in the league right now behind Anderson and Rinne, maybe even Price. You don't trade away a top-5 goalie to sit with a guy who's around top-20 in stats in Schneider.

Right now Lu and Schneider have played the same number of games and it's quite obvious. Luongo > Schneider.

It's still early in the season, I agree with everything you said except for Craig Anderson. There's no way that he's a top 10 goaltender in the NHL much less top 5. I wouldn't even consider him a proper starting goaltender much less an elite one, he's like a Brian Elliott has a few good seasons but is garbage most of the time.Simply put Craig Anderson should not be mentioned in the same sentence as goalies like Luongo, Rinne and Price.

#9 crossbar and in

crossbar and in

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:51 AM

This is a nice problem to have, 2 clear number one goalies. At this point, why would we not keep Lu and make a run with what we have. Goaltending is the most critical position in the playoffs. We are the envy of the league right now. Lu is a proven playoff performer and his only problem was he couldn't score himself when our forwards ran dry. From now until trade deadline is for Schnieder to prove if HE is the real deal for our future, otherwise I say keep Lu and make a run for the prize.

#10 mpt

mpt

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,463 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

Finally Luongo stopped caring what the media and fans think of him. All he's doing now is playing for fun and to win and he's playing like the Luongo of old. Keep it up Lou, ignore these morons and you'll continue to play great wherever you end up.

#11 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

It sounds like you know your NHL goalies.

#12 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:17 AM

im glad he wants to stay till the end of the season

Posted Image

#13 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:22 AM

The Luongo love-in still continues!!! I'm all for keeping him til the end of the season but after everything he has been through here, it's better off starting a new chapter elsewhere.

#14 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:47 AM

one last shot at lord Stanleys' mug with the blue, green and white :towel:

Posted Image

#15 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:54 AM

He is

The goalie oracle
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#16 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

big deal, the year we went to the finals Luongo and Schneider won the Jenning for fewest goal allowed 23 goals in 7 games (and that includes 2 shutout, so basically 23 in 5 games).

Schneider would have the same stats if it wasn't for Edler and Garrisson's assist in the SJ games. HE would have started 10 our games

#17 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,208 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

Price was having a great week despite playing on a pretty average team, and I didn't even mention Crawford, but mostly because his team has been so good in front of him. Rinne is also putting up sparkling numbers this season once again.

Meanwhile, how are the typical goalie stars doing? Brodeur has a very average 0.908 save %, Lundqvist has a disgusting 2.48 GAA (more than a whole goal more than Luongo) and Quick has a 2.70 GAA and a save % of 0.890. Oh but it gets better. The once-great Miller has a GAA of 2.89 and past heroes like Ward and Kippersoff both have GAA well over 3.

So please, I know my NHL goalies.

It's still early in the season, I agree with everything you said except for Craig Anderson. There's no way that he's a top 10 goaltender in the NHL much less top 5. I wouldn't even consider him a proper starting goaltender much less an elite one, he's like a Brian Elliott has a few good seasons but is garbage most of the time.Simply put Craig Anderson should not be mentioned in the same sentence as goalies like Luongo, Rinne and Price.

Have a look at the stats for goalies this season. Anderson is having a rediculous year, he was leading every goalie statistic before tonight's game against Pittsburgh, and only really lost the GAA lead to Luongo by a hair. He is carrying the Ottawa team that has been playing without Spezza, and now loses Karlsson too. That 42 save shutout of Buffalo the other night was a masterpiece. He is the front-runner for this years Vezina without a doubt.

This is the quarter pole of the season and Anderson is the best goalie in the league right now, there's no denying his numbers are the best by any goalie. If his play slips in the next few weeks, then he won't be, but until then he's simply playing the best any goalie has. He's had one of the biggest workloads of any goalie and has shone this season. Karlsson's injury and a banged up Ottawa offence will really test him now.
Posted Image

#18 smokes

smokes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:16 AM

We would still get wayyy more from Schnieder in a trade than Luongo. Seeing that Luongo did not diminish as a goaltender. Probably better off trading Schneider. Better Luongo and Lack than Schnieder and Lack.

#19 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

Why dont you let the season play out before you do the >.

#20 Nordiques_fan

Nordiques_fan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

Schneider would have the same stats if it wasn't for Edler and Garrisson's assist in the SJ games. HE would have started 10 our games

True. I also found that if you put aside all the goals he let in so far this year, and just consider his shutout, his GAA is 0.00!!!

OMG!!! Schneider for Pope!!!

#21 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,000 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

Way too early bud. Let's see how they both do when it's Playoff time.

307mg00.jpg

#22 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

Yeah we get it. You prefer Luongo over Schneider.
On topic, yes Luongo is doing very well so far, give Cory a mulligan on that first game and his stats are on par as well.

#23 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

POPULAR

You just did.
Posted Image

#24 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

This is a nice problem to have, 2 clear number one goalies. At this point, why would we not keep Lu and make a run with what we have. Goaltending is the most critical position in the playoffs. We are the envy of the league right now. Lu is a proven playoff performer and his only problem was he couldn't score himself when our forwards ran dry. From now until trade deadline is for Schnieder to prove if HE is the real deal for our future, otherwise I say keep Lu and make a run for the prize.

Luongo has proven to be inconsistent in the playoffs, nothing more. Our lack of scoring the last 2 series is not a valid excuse for him to get lit up.

#25 Ryan Kesler RK17

Ryan Kesler RK17

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

Luongo has proven to be inconsistent in the playoffs, nothing more. Our lack of scoring the last 2 series is not a valid excuse for him to get lit up.

Is our lack of defense a good reason?
Posted ImagePosted Image
Thnx to Vintage Canuck. for my awesome sig

#26 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

He has looked pretty stellar, I think we should keep him until the draft and maybe make some small trades at the deadline but nothing huge.

Send down Ebbett, or scratch Malholtra/Weise when Kesler and Booth come back

Edited by Zoolander, 14 February 2013 - 08:48 AM.

My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#27 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

big deal, the year we went to the finals Luongo and Schneider won the Jenning for fewest goal allowed 23 goals in 7 games (and that includes 2 shutout, so basically 23 in 5 games).

Yeah, best to completely forget about the shutouts. In fact, remove them from the statistics altogether. 23/5.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#28 Max-a-Million

Max-a-Million

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

Just imagine if Luongo was playing for another team right now, say Boston or Black Hawks and we had to face them in the finals with Lou playing the way he is now? Oh yeah, MG, sit on this trade for at least another 6 months, please.

I spend half my money on Wine, Women and Song.
The other half I waste!

#29 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:49 AM

You just did.

Craig Anderson can be mentioned in sentences. But the aforementioned individual should not ever be mentioned in a sentence that contains the individuals I will name in my next sentence. Pekka Rinne, Carey Price and Roberto Luongo are three of the top NHL goalies.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#30 Spyderr

Spyderr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

Im gonna take a gamble and say this if we win the whole show this year neither goalie gets traded again, unless one of them says trade me. They will play them 50/50 saying how important it is. They will move Booth and Garrison (or ballard) to make cap space and have young guys play
Come on LU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.