The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Leads the NHL in GAA

JamesB

Luongo is probably the best goalie in the league right now behind Anderson and Rinne, maybe even Price. You don't trade away a top-5 goalie to sit with a guy who's around top-20 in stats in Schneider.

Right now Lu and Schneider have played the same number of games and it's quite obvious. Luongo > Schneider.

Luongo is probably the best goalie in the league right now behind Anderson and Rinne, maybe even Price. You don't trade away a top-5 goalie to sit with a guy who's around top-20 in stats in Schneider.

Right now Lu and Schneider have played the same number of games and it's quite obvious. Luongo > Schneider.

It's still early in the season, I agree with everything you said except for Craig Anderson. There's no way that he's a top 10 goaltender in the NHL much less top 5. I wouldn't even consider him a proper starting goaltender much less an elite one, he's like a Brian Elliott has a few good seasons but is garbage most of the time.Simply put Craig Anderson should not be mentioned in the same sentence as goalies like Luongo, Rinne and Price.

This is a nice problem to have, 2 clear number one goalies. At this point, why would we not keep Lu and make a run with what we have. Goaltending is the most critical position in the playoffs. We are the envy of the league right now. Lu is a proven playoff performer and his only problem was he couldn't score himself when our forwards ran dry. From now until trade deadline is for Schnieder to prove if HE is the real deal for our future, otherwise I say keep Lu and make a run for the prize.

big deal, the year we went to the finals Luongo and Schneider won the Jenning for fewest goal allowed 23 goals in 7 games (and that includes 2 shutout, so basically 23 in 5 games).

Schneider would have the same stats if it wasn't for Edler and Garrisson's assist in the SJ games. HE would have started 10 our games

Im gonna take a gamble and say this if we win the whole show this year neither goalie gets traded again, unless one of them says trade me. They will play them 50/50 saying how important it is. They will move Booth and Garrison (or ballard) to make cap space and have young guys play

Im gonna take a gamble and say this if we win the whole show this year neither goalie gets traded again, unless one of them says trade me. They will play them 50/50 saying how important it is. They will move Booth and Garrison (or ballard) to make cap space and have young guys play

Price was having a great week despite playing on a pretty average team, and I didn't even mention Crawford, but mostly because his team has been so good in front of him. Rinne is also putting up sparkling numbers this season once again.

Meanwhile, how are the typical goalie stars doing? Brodeur has a very average 0.908 save %, Lundqvist has a disgusting 2.48 GAA (more than a whole goal more than Luongo) and Quick has a 2.70 GAA and a save % of 0.890. Oh but it gets better. The once-great Miller has a GAA of 2.89 and past heroes like Ward and Kippersoff both have GAA well over 3.

So please, I know my NHL goalies.

Have a look at the stats for goalies this season. Anderson is having a rediculous year, he was leading every goalie statistic before tonight's game against Pittsburgh, and only really lost the GAA lead to Luongo by a hair. He is carrying the Ottawa team that has been playing without Spezza, and now loses Karlsson too. That 42 save shutout of Buffalo the other night was a masterpiece. He is the front-runner for this years Vezina without a doubt.

This is the quarter pole of the season and Anderson is the best goalie in the league right now, there's no denying his numbers are the best by any goalie. If his play slips in the next few weeks, then he won't be, but until then he's simply playing the best any goalie has. He's had one of the biggest workloads of any goalie and has shone this season. Karlsson's injury and a banged up Ottawa offence will really test him now.

I personally view save % as a better indicator of a goalie's game rather than gaa.  On a horrible defensive team (Like Luongo was with in Florida), the gaa is never going to be impressive.

Luckily, his save % is sparkling so far as well, and I would anticipate in a week or so that he'll be the league leader in that regard as well.  Or, at least, that Anderson's save % will continue to fall.

It seems so odd to me that we seem incapable of finding a way to trade the best goalie in the NHL.

Im gonna take a gamble and say this if we win the whole show this year neither goalie gets traded again, unless one of them says trade me. They will play them 50/50 saying how important it is.  They will move Booth and Garrison (or ballard) to make cap space and have young guys play

Archived