The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Leads the NHL in GAA

JamesB

Price was having a great week despite playing on a pretty average team, and I didn't even mention Crawford, but mostly because his team has been so good in front of him. Rinne is also putting up sparkling numbers this season once again.

Meanwhile, how are the typical goalie stars doing? Brodeur has a very average 0.908 save %, Lundqvist has a disgusting 2.48 GAA (more than a whole goal more than Luongo) and Quick has a 2.70 GAA and a save % of 0.890. Oh but it gets better. The once-great Miller has a GAA of 2.89 and past heroes like Ward and Kippersoff both have GAA well over 3.

So please, I know my NHL goalies.

Have a look at the stats for goalies this season. Anderson is having a rediculous year, he was leading every goalie statistic before tonight's game against Pittsburgh, and only really lost the GAA lead to Luongo by a hair. He is carrying the Ottawa team that has been playing without Spezza, and now loses Karlsson too. That 42 save shutout of Buffalo the other night was a masterpiece. He is the front-runner for this years Vezina without a doubt.

This is the quarter pole of the season and Anderson is the best goalie in the league right now, there's no denying his numbers are the best by any goalie. If his play slips in the next few weeks, then he won't be, but until then he's simply playing the best any goalie has. He's had one of the biggest workloads of any goalie and has shone this season. Karlsson's injury and a banged up Ottawa offence will really test him now.

Schneider doesn't have a bad first game and they would be almost equal in stats. Same as if Luongo has a bad game, so no, it isn't "quite obvious"

Both have earned the right to be starting #1 Goaltenders, we should enjoy the ride while they are both still here.

Archived