276 replies to this topic

#31 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

I would support the mother receiving child support from the government that which she would have to pay back after they're adults / finds the father to pay etc.

That way the kids win and the mother pays.
Posted Image

#32 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,374 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

^^^And the father gets to bugger off, showing no support or care towards children he used to call family.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#33 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

this is a girls world and they are the nut crackers so get your nuts out.

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#34 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,111 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Sue for sole custody then.

Make her pay support.

No?

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#35 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Make her pay support.

No?

a poor father would not be able to afford a lawyer

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#36 Venom52

Venom52

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

Goes the other way too, how many guys don't pay child support? Plenty of absentee fathers in the world.

I always date outside of my ethnic group. It will be easier to tell if the kid is yours. My 5 cents...now the penny is gone.

Or you can just date a normal and loyal girl that won't cheat with anyone??

Posted Image

#37 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

We need Maury for this.

#38 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

No mention of spousal support tho.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#39 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Get with a girl make sure you use a dome or nine months later she'll be applying for child support just like a bank loan. If she's got a kid well sir i hoped you hid otherwise your bank account is a like a auction and she's starting the bid.

#40 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Its times like these that make me glad I reproduce through mitosis.

#41 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

The Laws protect the Woman no matter if the woman is right or wrong. Where are the laws to protect the men?

http://www.yourjewis...3/02/w6592.html

A man was devastated when he found out that three of his four children are not his.

The man in Montreal, Canada, had been married for 16 years to the same woman.
The couple, had four children ages 16, 14 and 12, who are girls along with a boy of nine-years-old.

The couple separated in 2010. While going through the divorce and custody issues, the man found out that he was not the father of his three daughters, although their son is his.

Even more bizarre: all three girls have different fathers.

But the worst yet to come, even after learning that the kids who he loved and raised as his own were not his, the judge ordered him to pay his former wife child support for all the children.

Since he is the only father the children have known and he raised them as his own, he is responsible as if he was the father.

In another case, a man named, Pasqualino Cornelio, was paying child support for his twins, but he later demanded DNA testing. When he found out that he was not the father of the twins, now 16, the judge ordered that he has to continue paying child support.

The reason he had to pay child support was for the children, not the wife. He had acted in the role of the father for long enough to make him financially liable to the children. It has nothing to do with the wife.

#42 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Depends on how rich the guy is. You'd be surprised of how much of a paycheck child support can eat up. And you have no way of knowing what the mother is going to do with the money. From what I've seen anyway, generally the mother is awarded more than she'd probably need. If you're rich, you seem to get screwed. Not sure if poor father's get screwed as badly.

In the story, the guy took care of these kids for a long time as is.. and he got cheated on.. why aren't the legit father's made to pay? Or the mother? She probably got half in the divorce too, which is the kicker. I agree with how many dads don't pay this, but it still doesn't mean that someone should be made to pay for kids that aren't even his, especially when they didn't even know.. and ESPECIALLY if the wife cheated on him during marriage. That's kind of messed up.

The legit fathers would be forced to pay. You have to find them first. The mother is also forced to pitch in financially.

If you could find the bilogical father, you'd end up with a scheme where both the new dad and the bio dad have to pay something. The amount each has to pay would depend on income.

Edited by taxi, 14 February 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#43 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

I think the lesson is you should get DNA testing asap.

#44 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

Just had a thought - maybe Wetcoaster could confirm...

If this guy managed to find out who the actual biological fathers were, is there any legal basis for him to sue them for the the financial support he gave their offspring?

Yes there would be a legal basis. There are plenty of cases where a biological dad has to pay support, despite his kids being taken on by a new dad. Whether the new dad himself could get money is another matter, but the kids certainly could.

#45 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,908 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Make her pay support.

No?

it would really have to be extreme circumstances for a father to be awarded sole custody (something like proof of abuse or drug use maybe)
Posted Image

#46 MM16

MM16

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

^^^And the father gets to bugger off, showing no support or care towards children he used to call family.

While I don't completely disagree with you, the fact that he was their father under fraudulent means should be considered. He was there when he was under the impression they were his, however if he had found out when they were born that they were not his he would have the option to choose to stay or leave and choose to take responsibility of children that weren't his or not. However in this case he did not have that option because he was lied to.

The same can be said for step parents paying support, they go into the situation knowing what's at stake and it is their choice to care for children who are not biologically theirs.

Unfortunately for this fellow and many others they do not have this option.

Edited by Mr_Spock, 15 February 2013 - 12:01 AM.

#47 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:43 AM

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

Posted Image

#48 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:00 AM

The least the father can do is help support the children. He is the only father they have ever known. And as I said before, he certainly loved them and cared for them before knowing about this. What worries me is that now he has no interest in his children.As for the wife, trust me, she will see the consequences for this, much more than the father (if you can call helping support children a conseqence). The mother will, rightfully so, have to deal with children who will grow to resent what their mother did, never knowing their real fathers. She does not have an easy road ahead.The father can come out looking like a king in all of this by simply being loving, supporting father to only kids he has ever been a father for.Is it fair? No. But as the saying goes, "Life is not fair." Be a man, do the right thing. Sometimes, the right thing isn't "fair."

You completely changed my opinion on the whole matter with that one paragraph, and I'm a very stubborn individual.

#49 smokes

smokes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:21 AM

Wife should have thought about that before she cheated.

The problem is that the child support money still goes into the mother's hand which she does not need to account for. Child support for the children, ok fine children should not be punished but show me some receipts.

Edited by smokes, 15 February 2013 - 03:26 AM.

#50 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,725 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:28 AM

If he is forced to pay, I think the man should be able to the sue the real fathers for child support if he wants. Put it towards their education fund or wedding costs.

#51 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:32 AM

The children should not be punished because of the mother. ]

The man shouldn't be punished because of the mother, either.

#52 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

4 kids, 4 fathers. For crying out loud, what kind of idiot DNA is this woman passing along?

RIP LB RR PD

#53 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,013 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

If he is forced to pay, I think the man should be able to the sue the real fathers for child support if he wants. Put it towards their education fund or wedding costs.

Yet still puts additional burden upon father who isn't the father.

Such an awful system that is aimed at screwing a man no matter what.

Most of the choices go to women, but most of the responsibility goes to man. This is obviously not considered equality but preferential treatment. Whether or not the guy who thought he was the father cared for the children he thought was his I don't see why it's relevant. The kids are important but the state (i.e. government) should look to go after not the guy who was responsible and took care of children he thought were his but the people who weren't, i.e. woman of infidelity and real father(s). The only caveat being if the guy taking responsibility as if he were the father decides he still wants that responsibility.

In this occurrence where it turns out the man is not the father, it is the father that should be given the choice if this is a situation he wants to be morally and financially responsible for. The children should be primary concern but not at the burden of the responsible "father", at the burden of the mother and whoever the real father(s) are. This makes the most sense but like I said the system is set up to screw the guy, especially the responsible ones. I dunno if this some sort of westernised attempt at retribution for the way men of the past acted toward women, but sufficed to say this type of favouritism and punishment makes equality movements seem rather laughable (giving them a bad name) and proof in the pudding that such movements in contemporary times aren't about equal treatment but preferential treatment when giving them too much of a voice, overriding logical mediums/constraints, instead of stopping at equal treatment, favouring excessively tilting a scale in the "other" direction. As far as the issue of custody, rights over children, and financial responsibility are concerned, men get the shaft big time, and it should change.

Edited by zaibatsu, 15 February 2013 - 06:01 AM.

#54 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,337 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

Yes there would be a legal basis.  There are plenty of cases where a biological dad has to pay support, despite his kids being taken on by a new dad.  Whether the new dad himself could get money is another matter, but the kids certainly could.

I was talking about retroactively as well. Could he claim that the biological father should have paid at least part of what he was paying all along, and sue to get that money back?

There would be statutes of limitations that would limit how far he could go back, but there could still be a lot of money involved.
Posted Image

#55 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

I think it's downright criminal to expect that he be ordered to pay child support for kids that aren't his. I wonder, though, how hard it must be for him to separate himself from their lives. Up until he found out, he would have formed very strong bonds with the children. What a yucky situation.

Oh, and where are the real fathers???

Edited by EX_Bert_Worshipper, 15 February 2013 - 07:08 PM.

Posted Image

#56 BurnabyJoe

BurnabyJoe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Hmm. Father certainly had no problem helping provide for the kids when he thought they were his and loved them all equally. But now that he finds out that they aren't genetically his, he only wants to provide for one? Sorry, but no.

It should be his ???? decision.

Like what a mega bitch.............

Edited by BurnabyJoe, 15 February 2013 - 07:20 PM.

http://i8.photobucke...e/canucks40.jpg <- Jim Robson's 40th Anniversary Team.

#57 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

I think it's downright criminal to expect that he be ordered to pay child support for kids that aren't his. I wonder, though, how hard it must be for him to separate himself from their lives. Up until he found out, he would have formed very strong bonds with the children. What a yucky situation.

Oh, and where are the real fathers???

Noting criminal about it.

He stood in loco parentis to the children and supported them - the law provides in such cases that child support may be awarded. It is all about the best interest of the child and not any wrongdoing ascribed to the mother.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#58 EX_Bert_Worshipper

EX_Bert_Worshipper

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,834 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

Noting criminal about it.

He stood in loco parentis to the children and supported them - the law provides in such cases that child support may be awarded. It is all about the best interest of the child and not any wrongdoing ascribed to the mother.

But, does he have NOTHING to go on? She falsified the facts and led him to believe that he is the father of her children. Shouldn't they be going after the real fathers?
Posted Image

#59 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

But, does he have NOTHING to go on? She falsified the facts and led him to believe that he is the father of her children. Shouldn't they be going after the real fathers?

He stood as the parent to the children for years. I set out the applicable law above. The actions of the wife have no bearing on his obligations to act in the best interest of the children.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#60 Bitter Melon

Bitter Melon

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

Unfortunately, its one of those no-win situations. The law is dumb, but he is forced to abide by it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.