The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler looking to return tomorrow

Burrows_Breath

I'm not worried at all. I'm worried about some possible tension in the room, but as far as Kesler coming back too early or "being rushed", not worried in the least. Kesler knows his body best and seems to be doing this on his terms so if he does come back tonight, you know he's as ready as he'll ever be.

I don't necessarily expect Kesler to make a huge impact right off the bat, but I do believe that his presence in the lineup alone makes an impact. Other teams aren't going to not match up their checking lines and shutdown D pairings with him just because it's his first game back from an injury. If he's in the lineup, he'll draw some of those matchups to him, meaning the other lines should have a bit of an easier time out there.

In fact, I think there's a higher chance of him making an impact offensively to start off than defensively. It'll take some time to get his timing and defensive reads in order, which is also why I hope he doesn't get too much of the PK and shutdown load to start off.

Well if you go back and read some of the articles from last year when Kesler had the surgery back in May, it was said it would take atleast 6 months to recover and still wouldn't return until he was cleared from the surgeon [Dr. Anthony Miniaci of the Cleveland Clinic] until at full strength. By this logic that would of meant Kesler would of been ready by November, well we all know there was no hockey because of the lockout so this gave Kesler a lot more time.

It has been 9 months since his surgery, and was told he only needed 6 months, so he has had an extra 3 months to recover and build the strength up even more, and I haven't heard of any set backs once. I do believe with the extra 3 months it has allowed him to be forsure 100%, and feel much more comfortable with him coming back this time then in the past when he actually rushed his return.

some quotes from Kesler back in May 2012

“I’m not going to come back early,” Kesler stressed Thursday from his off-season home in West Bloomfield, Mich. “With the program I have, the fourth-month period is when you can really start pushing the envelope and even if it goes until December, I’m not coming back until I’m 110% when I know I’m ready and able to play my game.

“It’s going to take six months and the surgeon [Dr. Anthony Miniaci of the Cleveland Clinic] is not going to release me until I’m at full strength and mobility. I’m doing rehab two or three times a week with my therapist and rehab on my own every day to get my range of motion back slowly. I’ve started working out this week so my legs are more sore than my shoulder right now, but I’m not going to rush anything.”

“I heard a pop in my shoulder, but a lot of times when you get hit, you hear little pops,” recalled Kesler. “It was a fluke thing but this one was a different feel. The first couple of weeks were the worst. I got an MRI done after the trip and found out what it was and just tried to play the rest of the season.”

Show me one case where a star player has been taken out and there has been legitimate retribution.

The only case that I can remember that happening was Bertuzzi on Moore. Do we really want our players doing that again?

Just as an example, here's Chicago's so called "retribution" on Torres after he took out one of their best players:

Pretty pathetic. I'm sure Raffi will never throw another hit on a Hawks player after that beating...

I guess that means the Hawks are soft too.

My favorite retribution was Booth fighting Richards. Sure it was a terrible fight, but at least Booth stood up for himself. I'd rather se that then have a goon go after their players.

Really? What shows you that? His 2 Assists while getting ice time with the Sedins and PP?

Or are you just impressed with the last assist he got vs Minny and think he's an incredible play maker just because of 1 play?

Actually I think he is right. The one thing I am very surprised and impressed with is his passing skills and his awareness of where everyone else is on the ice.

He has a lot of work to do to figure out where he is supposed to be without the puck as he sometimes looks lost, but watch his passing the next couple of games. It is excellent. It doesn't always translate into assists of course.

His last year of junior he got 51 assists in 56 games so that is a pretty decent sample size to work from.

I'm curious to see how he fairs tomorrow against the Blues and how he does against Chicago on Tuesday night.

He is a gritty guy, but he is far from being the next Gretzky as far as any real hockey skill goes. He can set up plays, but what are his other REAL assets?

Tuesday will be the test against the Hawks, I hate to say it, but damn, that team is firing on all cylinders!

Archived