117 replies to this topic

#61 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

Maybe he's just trolling the media, then make a suprise appearance tommorow.

#62 greetingsfrombrazil

greetingsfrombrazil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:56 PM

Took a nap for a couple hours and woke up with some big news, wasn't expecting this one at all.

I think he was just being precautious and modest during his interview, like waiting for the coach to give him the go. Moments later, he got the go during AVs interview. I don't know, I may be misunderstanding things.

We are doing really well without him, no need to rush him, altough PP needs his help. I can see AV limiting his minutes to PP and ES, give him 15 minutes and get Kesler going little by little.

#63 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Is it really smart to put him in this soon?

Wasn't he just cleared for contact like a week ago?

Indeed. Im not too thrilled that he is coming back with little time to have full, uptempo, contact practices.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#64 Berto91

Berto91

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Hmm... Not entirely sure how to feel about this. Can't say I've kept super up to date with his recent recovery, but I still think there's no rush yet. Isn't it VERY recently he's practiced and he even said the strength isn't there.

If he's not 100%, no one will be happy.

Edited by Berto91, 14 February 2013 - 05:07 PM.

100th Post: Friday 2nd July '10 :)

Vintage.Kesler, on 30 September 2010 - 03:30 PM, said:
Lol, tailored for a T-REX.

I'm pretty sure CDC just collectively orgasmed at the thought of CoHo getting recalled lol

#65 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Kassian has shown himself to be an incredible playmaker and he is not a cherry picker and will pass the puck. Higgins is not the best passer, but he is far from the puck hog Kesler is. And Kesler is not supposed to pass the puck, he is supposed to bury it in the back of the net. Its what he does, and he does it well.

Really? What shows you that? His 2 Assists while getting ice time with the Sedins and PP?

Or are you just impressed with the last assist he got vs Minny and think he's an incredible play maker just because of 1 play?

#66 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

As long as the Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen line stays intact..

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#67 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

POPULAR

Really? What shows you that? His 2 Assists while getting ice time with the Sedins and PP?

Or are you just impressed with the last assist he got vs Minny and think he's an incredible play maker just because of 1 play?

Actually I think he is right. The one thing I am very surprised and impressed with is his passing skills and his awareness of where everyone else is on the ice.

He has a lot of work to do to figure out where he is supposed to be without the puck as he sometimes looks lost, but watch his passing the next couple of games. It is excellent. It doesn't always translate into assists of course.

His last year of junior he got 51 assists in 56 games so that is a pretty decent sample size to work from.

Edited by Provost, 14 February 2013 - 05:41 PM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#68 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

Both of Kassian's assists this season have been impressive. Of course it is a small sample, but it was enough to warrant a couple minutes of discussion from the TSN analysts.

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#69 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,281 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

POPULAR

Even in his junior career he has shown tremendous vision and passing skills if you've watched him. A rare talent.

Edited by Dogbyte, 14 February 2013 - 05:19 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#70 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Kesler can dominate a game if he so chooses...the only problem is that his reckless all out play can make him injury prone...Like a lot of folks have said here already..what's the rush?

#71 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,654 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

The silver lining behind the news about Manny I guess

Kesler hasn't been 100% in a long time. Hopefully he has had all this injuries taken care of.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#72 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

The silver lining behind the news about Manny I guess

Kesler hasn't been 100% in a long time. Hopefully he has had all this injuries taken care of.

I'm not convinced he's 100%, to be honest. It worries me that maybe the Canucks are rushing him back because of the Malhotra issue.

/=S=/

#73 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

Kassian has made many nice passes this year that haven't lead to goals. Also, if you look at his stats at other levels, he's always had a healthy number of assists. He had 7 goals 13 assists in Chicago this year. In Junior he had 71 goals and 121 assists. If you pay attention to the games and do your research, it's pretty obvious that he is a skilled playmaker.

#74 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,052 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Actually I think he is right. The one thing I am very surprised and impressed with is his passing skills and his awareness of where everyone else is on the ice.

He has a lot of work to do to figure out where he is supposed to be without the puck as he sometimes looks lost, but watch his passing the next couple of games. It is excellent. It doesn't always translate into assists of course.

His last year of junior he got 51 assists in 56 games so that is a pretty decent sample size to work from.

I believe when he was first traded here he was asked what kind of player he was and he said even though he was a big guy and liked to score goals, he considered himself a play maker and that his passing skills are always something that gets pverlooked

Can't remember where I read that though

#75 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Maybe the reason the whole Malhotra situation is happening now because Kesler is actually 100% and ready to go?

Could've just kept calling it "personal days" until Kesler was 100%...

Posted Image

#76 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

first off , calm now

second , his assists are 2 real great passes , and most of his goal were from his own hard work , not the sedins

is he an incredible playmaker , not really but he can set guys up

i understand your anger but dont go down the whole " the sedins gave him all his points" route because thats clearly not true
Posted Image

#77 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

I believe when he was first traded here he was asked what kind of player he was and he said even though he was a big guy and liked to score goals, he considered himself a play maker and that his passing skills are always something that gets pverlooked

Can't remember where I read that though

Pretty sure he might have mentioned that in a between period interview.

His hero was Big Bert. The comparison isnt too far off. Bert in his productive times here, was a sublime passer/playmaker.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#78 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,052 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Pretty sure he might have mentioned that in a between period interview.

His hero was Big Bert. The comparison isnt too far off. Bert in his productive times here, was a sublime passer/playmaker.

yeah, sounds right.

#79 Tru_Knyte

Tru_Knyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,355 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hope he's 100%. If so, gonna be a great boost to the team.
Posted Image

#80 diesel_3

diesel_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,512 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Hope he's 100%. If so, gonna be a great boost to the team.

I just hope he goes back to his strong north-south game and not the perimeter dive master we saw last year.
Posted Image
Thanks to JimLahey for the great Sig!
Posted Image
SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

#81 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,516 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

If he's ready he's ready.. You can only do so much in practice..getting into a game with limited minutes is probably the best way to go and gradually work your way up.

#82 AFrame14

AFrame14

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

Is it really smart to put him in this soon?

Wasn't he just cleared for contact like a week ago?

So is kes playing for sure tomorrow?? Cuz I'm with you, one practice after being cleared to okay and he's back on the lineup? Seems a little fast but maybe kesler has taken his time this season and has been in good shape for a while now
NUCKS FOR THE CUP

#83 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

So is kes playing for sure tomorrow?? Cuz I'm with you, one practice after being cleared to okay and he's back on the lineup? Seems a little fast but maybe kesler has taken his time this season and has been in good shape for a while now

.....Yes he is playing tomorrow ....via 5.00pm radio news report.

#84 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Kesler - Higgins
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Weise - Lapierre - Volpatti

Kassian > Burrows in every sense of the game right now. He's bigger, tougher, stands up for the twins better and is showing he has better hands and more skill than Burrows too.

I agree with your lineup, but not with your assessment. Burrows does so much out there, and is incredibly hard to play against. Although I think he makes the Sedins better, I think he makes Kesler better. Kassian provides a lot to the Sedin line and has show he can produce with them, and he should be groomed for the playoffs in this role. Kesler and Burrows need to reunite with whichever winger can gel with them (Booth, Higgins, Hansen, etc...). Our 3rd and 4th lines will benefit from the trickle down effect. I would really like to see Frick and Frack return to form, and I want to continue watching Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Chewbacca on the 1st line. B)

Edited by WiDeN, 14 February 2013 - 09:15 PM.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

MirandaKerr.jpg
2 0 1 5 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#85 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Hopefully Booth isn't far behind. Seems very underrated around here.

#86 The Magician

The Magician

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

bring back the minus button

cL3GIZK.jpg

Credit to Parise11 for the amazing sig!

#87 Raffi Torres's Smirk

Raffi Torres's Smirk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

I just hope he goes back to his strong north-south game and not the perimeter dive master we saw last year.

Yeah his diving is just atrocious. He'd be my favourite Canucks if it wasn't for that aspect of his game. It really makes him seem like a whining, slovenly baby. Ugh.

#88 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:04 PM

Is anyone else projecting a Syd Crosby Return?

Nope.

Today was his first full practice with the starters. Crosby and the Pens if you'll recall were extremely cautious with his return. Sid was practicing full contact and full speed with the starters for several weeks.

In this case, Kes had no off-season training program and no ability to strength train until close to Christmas. He had a setback in early January due to not being able to strengthen one side of his body as a result of both the shoulder and wrist surgeries and he only started skating with the team in non-contact activities a couple of weeks ago.

So I don't think anyone should have high expectations for him for the rest of this season. He'll need a full off-season of training before we see the 40-goal beast mode Kes we saw in that Nashville series. He might come out of the chute really quick but I wouldn't think that would last more than a couple of weeks before he settled in.

I'm still not comfortable with him coming back this early and I don't understand why the team (AV specifically) seem to be in a hurry to get him into the line-up with the good start the team has had. He may be medically cleared to play but he's obviously not totally comfortable with it yet. Why not have him train like crazy for another 3 weeks or a month and come back more confident in March some time.

Edited by MJDDawg, 14 February 2013 - 10:06 PM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#89 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

If he doesn't play tomorrow then I think theres some communication issues between him and AV. I'm thinking he will play and is just trolling the media or is just being cautious in case he just doesn't feel comfortable and changes his mind.

Edited by TheGame., 14 February 2013 - 10:14 PM.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#90 Nucks fan555555

Nucks fan555555

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:42 PM

It's so stupid that there letting him play this early. He needs a week minimum to get his strength top notch and so he has a bunch of full practices under his belt. What's the need to hurry? And it obviously seems like the team is trying to push for a return....this looks like a deja vu all over again
Go Canucks Go

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.