The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Manny Malholtra will miss remainder of the season.

AriGold

I wonder about this. If this were an completely amicable decision, Manny would have had a press conference by now. It wouldn't have been so hush-hush beforehand, either. Also, the first article I read had a quick blurb that stated Malhotra is not prepared to announce his retirement.

The fact that the Canucks are right up against the cap adds a suspicious tone to this. The GM has gone on record as stating that many of the offers he has gotten for Luongo have required that he take back salary. But with Booth and Kesler coming back, he could not take any more salary back than Luongo's 5.3...until now.

That said, just because it looks suspicious, doesn't mean that the reasons for doing it aren't 100% legitimate. If there wasn't a clear medical basis, and/or Manny was dead-set against it, the league and/or union would not allow this to happen.

I think at this point Manny is mad/upset about this. He's coming to grips that the only career that he has ever had is now over. But at the same time, he probably realizes that it is in his and his family's best interests. Soon as the shock has passed, and the emotions died down, Manny will likely have the presser.

Archived