The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Manny Malholtra will miss remainder of the season.

AriGold

It's a sad loss. Manny has been a class act his whole career. I wish him the best and hope it's nothing too serious.

I believe by him being on LTIR he can still come back in the playoffs? If that's the case, it might not be that bad. We can use him still on the team. He's not what he use to be but he can still win faceoffs.

I think the Canucks should take a look at Arnott for now. I know he failed his medical with the Rangers but he might of healed by now and we could use him sparingly. I'd feel more comfortable with him on our team than having Ebbett.

All the best to Manny, this is terrible news, and horribly unfortunate. I hope he can have a role within the organization if he decides to retire.

--------

I do think it's fishy though, that once again the Canucks have someone going on the IR, while another player is ready to come back. It's happened in previous seasons, most notably with our defense.

Read the tweets and official communication, he's been put on Injured Reserve (IR). We can't put him on LTI anyway as we already have 23 players on the roster if Kesler returns so we don't have to call up a replacement (meaning we don't have to worry about a replacement player's cap putting us over). Since Kesler's cap hit is already counting against our salary cap (Booth's is too) and we're still under it, there isn't any concern about going over the cap as they return either.

The Canucks may decide to use the LTI clause (long term injury, usually called LTIR which isn't technically correct but causes confusion for many people with IR) later if we want to upgrade and have to bring in more cap as a result, but it's not necessary at this point.

I think it was a mutual decision between him and MG. The Canucks probably gave him options.

a- Put Manny on the IR for the rest of the year. get's paid and doesn't have to leave his newborn.

b-Look to trade Manny for a late round draft pick - Manny must waive NTC

c- Place Manny on waivers. Could go anywhere.

Like an earlier poster stated. He will probably retire after this year and work with the Canucks in an associate coaching role.

Only thing is we only have one left handed centerman at the moment. Looks like Henrik will be relied upon to take more defensive zone draws on the left side.

All the best to Manny, this is terrible news, and horribly unfortunate. I hope he can have a role within the organization if he decides to retire.

--------

I do think it's fishy though, that once again the Canucks have someone going on the IR, while another player is ready to come back. It's happened in previous seasons, most notably with our defense.

I really hate to bring this up again; but we have to face the fact Gillis traded Hodgson knowing full well Kesler and Malhotra were suffering what were probably chronic injuries. It's my opinion the man isn't remotely qualified or competent to be a general manager.

- the injury to M. was one of the worst ever... as far as Canuck success went, but championships always demand a certain amount of luck. Wish him all the best.

--------

Harrison Mooney seems to think he's done as a player and will start helping the coaching staff:

Canucks’ Malhotra done for the year over concerns about his eye; retirement to come?

The Vancouver Canucks will be without centre Manny Malhotra for the remainder of 2013. On Thursday, they announced that he's been placed on injured reserve through to the end of the year. From a release:

The Vancouver Canucks announced today that centre Manny Malhotra has been placed on Injured Reserve and will miss the remainder of the 2012.13 NHL season.

“The long term health of Manny Malhotra is of utmost importance to our organization,” said Michael D. Gillis, President and General Manager, Canucks Sports & Entertainment. “Throughout his career Manny has showcased his indispensability through skilled play, being a consummate professional and leader in the room while also continuously giving back to the community. Manny will continue to be a valued member of our organization.”

There are still a lot of questions to be answered in this surprise announcement, but the release gives a few hints at a few answers.

According to Bob McKenzie, the issue that will be sidelining Malhotra for the duration of the season is the same one that took him out of the Canucks' lineup late in the 2010-11: his left eye, which was struck by a puck in a freak deflection late in game versus the Colorado Avalanche on March 16.

A series of surgeries and a medical miracle allowed Malhotra returned to the Canucks' lineup just in time for Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final. Still, he admitted that his vision in that eye would never be 100%. And, after completing the series versus the Bruins, Malhotra had more procedures in the summer.

Now it would appear that the condition of his eye has deteriorated enough to raise questions about his safety on the ice, which, considering the speed of the game, the threat of hitters and the need for complete peripheral vision, makes a lot of sense. If Malhotra's blind side is larger than most players, he's putting himself at risk, and he knows it. When Gillis says, "The long term health of Manny Malhotra is of utmost importance to our organization," I'd hazard a guess that this is what he's referring to.

The final lines of the release indicate that Malhotra's career is over -- "Throughout his career Manny has showcased his indispensability through skilled play" -- although he hasn't made that decision yet. The centre will spend the rest of the season on long-term injury exception, then re-evaluate.

In the meantime, he'll get a taste of what his post-hockey career will be like. Malhotra has already done a lot of coaching work with the Canucks, teaching young centres how to improve their faceoff techniques and running drills and practices. The final line of the release indicates that he'll likely do more of that. If he finds that it's enough to satisfy his need to be on the ice, I suspect that we've seen the last of Manny Malhotra as a player.

It's a shame. When Malhotra was healthy in his first season in Vancouver, the Canucks were able to roll their top three lines comfortably. With Malhotra on the roster, Alain Vigneault developed some of the most extreme deployment strategies in the league, sending Malhotra out almost exclusively for defensive zone faceoffs so that Henrik Sedin and Ryan Kesler could start closer to the opposing net. Malhotra's unique role as an offensive enabler and shutdown centre earned him discussion as a dark horse Selke candidate.

Speaking of Ryan Kesler, he appears to be ready to jump back into the lineup. His return originally looked as though it might displace rookie Jordan Schroeder. Does Malhotra's absence open up a permanent spot for the rookie centre?

Have to say, our team really has been getting its fair shair of bad injuries / accidents the last few years.

1. Ohlund bad eye injury but was able to come back

2. Mcsorely/Brasheer

3. Bertuzzi - Moore. To this day I still feel Bert was trying to start a fight and let his temper get the best of him, cheap shot that ended up very badly

4. Luc Bourdon

5. Ryp

6. Manny

thats alot of VERY bad things that have happened to this team. Not to say injuries dont happen to other teams but would be nice if the clouds parted and our boys would stay safe/healthy.

Sad to see an end of the season for Manny. Does sound like his eye may be the issue bc he was skating fine last few games. If its the end of his career its too bad. Class act, leader, lets hope its just the season and he can come back better.

I really hate to bring this up again; but we have to face the fact Gillis traded Hodgson knowing full well Kesler and Malhotra were suffering what were probably chronic injuries. It's my opinion the man isn't remotely qualified or competent to be a general manager.

- the injury to M. was one of the worst ever... as far as Canuck success went, but championships always demand a certain amount of luck. Wish him all the best.

I think it was a mutual decision between him and MG. The Canucks probably gave him options.

a- Put Manny on the IR for the rest of the year. get's paid and doesn't have to leave his newborn.

b-Look to trade Manny for a late round draft pick - Manny must waive NTCyeah

c- Place Manny on waivers. Could go anywhere.

Like an earlier poster stated. He will probably retire after this year and work with the Canucks in an associate coaching role.

Only thing is we only have one left handed centerman at the moment. Looks like Henrik will be relied upon to take more defensive zone draws on the left side.

Great first post; welcome aboard!

If he retired he waives his salary, which would not be fair as he was injured on the job. Same with Pronger, Mark Savard...

Yeah I was wondering if LTIR was decided in favor of retirement so Canucks can get his cap space, and he continues to collect a paycheck, he deserves that at the very least.

I

This. Finally someone dares to suggest the unmentionable; looks like ol' Mike "think outside the box" Gillis has found a rather creative way to circumvent the cap. It's not like there haven't been questionable IR decisions here before and since there are precious few specifics about WHY Manny is on the IR I smell fish. I feel bad for Manny since I think he is a class act but I fear he is simply not good enough to play NHL hockey anymore and Gillis is taking the opportunity to remove him (and his salary) from the Canucks bottom line.

Archived