Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Manny Malholtra will miss remainder of the season.

• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#271 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Does that mean I can get my name on the cup if I'm in good with the winning team?

lol ;)

They're still looking for a person to clean their jock straps, but you can't be creepy about it; no sniffing...
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#272 linden16kesler17

linden16kesler17

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

I'm sad to hear about Manny, such a great character guy.

Also, watching MG in the presser he gave about this, he also looks pretty torn up about it. What is he packing in those bags under his eyes?

Tough situation all around

#273 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,315 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Stupid people saying that because he passed a physical means that he shouldn't be able to be put on IR. Pretty sure his injury is kind of a unique one, and just because he was medically cleared to play, doesn't mean that it's safe for him to.

I'm kind of curious though. How many people think that this was partially a move to clear up a roster spot by Gillis? And how many people think that this was a legitimate decision by both sides for him to stop playing?

Edited by DeNiro, 15 February 2013 - 03:42 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#274 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,838 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

As others have said, this seems pretty clear - it's most likely a mutually agreed unofficial retirement. I'd be shocked if this wasn't at least partially his own decision. Of course the team can't say that for obvious reasons - plausible deniability. Not a crazy conspiracy theory, but a logical CBA loophole already discussed at length by analysts a lot smarter than myself.

As I understand it, if a players retires, the team still keeps a portion of remaining salary against the cap. On LTIR, on the other hand, cap hit is negated. So an injured player ready to retire might as well stay on LTIR until the contract is done. I realize he's actually on IR rather than LTIR for now, but that status can easily be changed when/if necessary for cap relief. If he officially retires outright, on the other hand, that option's off the table for good. I'm sure it won't be the last time we see this scenario under the current CBA.

Everything fits. At least that's my mostly uneducated take on it.

Edit: I just want to be clear, I don't think the continued eye problem and danger involved is being faked at all, I just believe that retirement is the end goal and that they are simply unable/unwilling to announce that in order to maintain cap flexibility, and I believe that Manny is completely on board with this.

Not really correct at all. If the player is on a 35+ contract (which Manny isn't) then the cap hit still applies even if the player retires. If he's not on a 35+ contract, none of the cap hit applies. There is no portion, it's all or none, and only as it relates to players 35+ with deals not signed before they reached that age.

It's not even a CBA loophole, he has an injury to his eye that's preventing him from playing at a safe level, so he's injured and goes on the IR. That's how it's designed to work.

Read any of my previous posts, but I highly doubt this ever involves LTI. Manny will eventually either retire or ask for a trade. The only thing I can see other than that is if we go on to win the cup and he'd want to be included on it as a player, so he'd not want to retire (or be traded obviously) in that case. If he has that concern, perhaps they keep him on IR and use LTI if absolutely necessary but I don't even see that as it's unlikely we take on more cap than we already have with it dropping by $6-7M next year.

Stupid people saying that because he passed a physical means that he shouldn't be able to be put on IR. Pretty sure his injury is kind of a unique one, and just because he was medically cleared to play, doesn't mean that it's safe for him to.

I'm kind of curious though. How many people think that this was partially a move to clear up a roster spot by Gillis? And how many people think that this was a legitimate decision by both sides for him to stop playing?

I'd say this: Gillis likely would have put him on IR earlier but may have considered keeping him available until at least Kesler's return in case of a sudden injury or sickness to another player where we wouldn't have been able to get a call up here in time. I still doubt that though, as he could have used a D rather than risk Manny's health if he feels that strongly about his ability to play safely.

It was more likely waiting on Manny to make a decision, at least enough of one to have a sense of what he'd want to do considering and not react by asking for a trade. They held him out for a while now, and they were waiting on that when Kesler was too close to healthy to wait any longer. It was either put him on IR now (before Manny has decided if he'll retire or what) or send someone else down to make room for Kes.

Edited by elvis15, 15 February 2013 - 03:52 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#275 Middle Nicoli

Middle Nicoli

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Good luck with your health Manny, way more important than any hockey game. You've had a long and memorable career, you have nothing to prove, you've had an amazing come back.

#276 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,608 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Have this saved from 2 years ago. Time to break it out again...

Posted Image

#277 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

Have this saved from 2 years ago. Time to break it out again...

Posted Image

Beauty. Added motivation for Nucks to "git 'r done."

/=S=/

#278 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,769 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Unless Manny is on on it from the beggining.
There could easily have been a conversation between MM and MG, instigated by either, wherein they came up with the idea together.
MM may have been having eye issues the whole time. He could have gone to mgmt and said "I have this idea".

Yeah, coulda been something like:

MG: Manny, you've been an outstanding addition to our club, you have played a very important role for us, but your injury just hasn't progressed as we'd hoped and there is nothing as important in this game as your vision.
MM: Well I'm not looking to call it quits Mike, I've worked hard, and the club is a little short-handed right now. I'm willing to take the risk. How about you let me start the season, play if I'm able, let me at least help get the club through this phase of Kesler's injury, and we'll see how it goes. Let me do this for myself and the team Mike, and revisit it at that point.
MG: Ok. You're a great team guy Manny. We have given it time, but the club does need you - I can give it a bit more time, but we'll probably need to have this conversation again...

#279 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

They're still looking for a person to clean their jock straps, but you can't be creepy about it; no sniffing...

how that came into your head, how that came into your head, how that came into your head, how that came into your head, how that came into your head, how that came into your head

#280 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

how that came into your head, how that came into your head, how that came into your head, how that came into your head, how that came into your head, how that came into your head

I have a friend that used to do the Laundry for the Goldeyes. He would have gotten a ring if they won the championship (they did, but I'm not sure if he was still working for them). I always poked fun at him saying that he was just cleaning the jock straps :P
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#281 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,505 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Hopefully he'll be alright

Posted Image

#282 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

In the Pens/Jets game Don Cherry declared Manny "retired" and implied that he was forced out by management to make cap space for Kesler to return because of the timing. Classy, Don. Real classy.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#283 panelguy

panelguy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Yeah I saw Ron & Don accuse the Canucks of something nasty with Manny retiring just as Kesler returns.
Always negative when it comes to the Canucks.

#284 kchengc

kchengc

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

to be honest I am quite upset at how mg handles this. if malhotra is indeed unfit to play it should come directly from his doctors or malhotra himself. he was cleared by the doctors to play, wasn't he?

#285 WestCoastCanucks

WestCoastCanucks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

to be honest I am quite upset at how mg handles this. if malhotra is indeed unfit to play it should come directly from his doctors or malhotra himself. he was cleared by the doctors to play, wasn't he?

I think it was either waivers or go on IR for Manny. This seems like MG's way of covering it up and saying he's concened for Manny's safety(which I'm sure he is to some extent) but I can't imagine Manny's too pleased with this.

Edited by WestCoastCanucks, 15 February 2013 - 08:11 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#286 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,838 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

A good employer will have the best interests of it's employees in mind though. It'd probably be a tough call for Manny to make himself being so close to it, and as has been mentioned, it wasn't just Gillis who decided. Gillis was the one to make the announcement about IR, but Manny might just be thinking through some things before he makes a decision on retirement or what he'd like to do.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#287 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

In the Pens/Jets game Don Cherry declared Manny "retired" and implied that he was forced out by management to make cap space for Kesler to return because of the timing. Classy, Don. Real classy.

True, but he also spent almost a third of that segment looking in confusion at Ron and repeating "What are you talking about? Wha??"

#288 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

If Manny is retiring from hockey I hope he stays as a assistant coach or something.

Edited by CHIPS, 15 February 2013 - 09:52 PM.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#289 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

True, but he also spent almost a third of that segment looking in confusion at Ron and repeating "What are you talking about? Wha??"

:lol: That is true. Up until the comments about Manny it was definitely one of their more entertaining Abbott and Costello-esque routines.

Or was that just senility and I should feel sad? :mellow:
Go, Canucks, Go!

#290 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,914 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Doctors don't advise teams based on possibilities. Manny's vision is at a certain level. It's a matter of opinion whether the lack of vision in one eye represents a danger to the player, but I doubt that a doctor would offer an opinion of someone's ability to play that game based on the likelihood of him taking a devastating hit because he didn't see it coming.

This is a decision that could only be made by hockey people who understand what happens out on the ice, with the speed and physicality of an NHL hockey game.

BTW: Further to a point that was made yesterday, (I think it was oldnews) the game last night already showed that the Canucks will miss Manny. Right before the Stars scored their second goal, Cheech was remarking that it was a situation where we would normally see Malhotra. (A defensive zone faceoff to Schneider's left) On his weaker side, Schroeder lost the draw cleanly and a few seconds later, the puck was in the Vancouver net, cutting the lead to 3-2.

I understand the a roster spot needed to be opened up to make room for Kesler, but I believe that if Gillis wasn't truly interested in protecting Manny's health, he could easily have kept him in the lineup and sat either Weise or Volpatti.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#291 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Real disappointing news about Manny. He was such a great addition to the team and then that horrible injury. He tried his best to get his game back, but to no avail. The Nucks will miss him. I know I sure will.

#292 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

I wonder about this. If this were an completely amicable decision, Manny would have had a press conference by now. It wouldn't have been so hush-hush beforehand, either. Also, the first article I read had a quick blurb that stated Malhotra is not prepared to announce his retirement.

The fact that the Canucks are right up against the cap adds a suspicious tone to this. The GM has gone on record as stating that many of the offers he has gotten for Luongo have required that he take back salary. But with Booth and Kesler coming back, he could not take any more salary back than Luongo's 5.3...until now.

That said, just because it looks suspicious, doesn't mean that the reasons for doing it aren't 100% legitimate. If there wasn't a clear medical basis, and/or Manny was dead-set against it, the league and/or union would not allow this to happen.

I think at this point Manny is mad/upset about this. He's coming to grips that the only career that he has ever had is now over. But at the same time, he probably realizes that it is in his and his family's best interests. Soon as the shock has passed, and the emotions died down, Manny will likely have the presser.

Along with the Salary Cap roster spot is another reason. With Kesler and Booth coming back roster spots becomes an issue.

Either it was Manny out on LTI or they have to waive one of their roster players. There have been injuries on other teams and if the Canucks waive one of their Dmen (Barker) I'm pretty sure he'd get picked up.

Who do you keep as a depth player, Manny at $2.5 mill or Barker at 700 k ? All things considered I think MG made the right choice.

As far as the League or NHLPA not letting it happen I don't think that's an issue at all. Either Manny agreed to go on LTI or he gets waived. I don't think any one would trade for him. I also don't think Manny would get picked up on waivers either. Pretty much he could have chosen to go on waivers and played the rest of year in the minors.

Edited by WHL rocks, 17 February 2013 - 12:46 PM.

#293 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Only read page one, but navy blue was killin' it

Kinda relieved he is out to be honest. He was hurting on the fourth line and now doesn't have to lose face by being sat.

#294 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

Nice to hear Manny's still being actively involved with the team.

Vancouver Canucks@VanCanucks
Skaters on ice this morning: 1, 35, 7, 18, 25, 41. They are joined by Malhotra. #Canucks

Vancouver Canucks@VanCanucks
AV: Manny is still part of the team. Anytime he wants to be on the ice when we practice, he's more than welcome.

I really do like the idea floated before about using Manny as a faceoff coach. Couldn't find one much better!

And from the news section of the website....

Manny returns...to practice

There was a buzz at what was supposed to be a fairly quiet Canucks morning skate when Manny Malhotra, who was placed on injured reserve on Thursday, joined a group that was comprised only of tonight’s scratches (Booth, Barker, Ebbett and Alberts) plus both goaltenders, Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider.

"He's still a part of our team and we want him to be around the players," said Canucks' head coach Vigneault. “We want him to continue to have that solid impact that he has on our group by the way he conducts himself."

While he won't be making any more in-game appearances with the Canucks this season, Vigneault suggested that Malhotra appearances at practice could be a regular occurrence moving forward.

"Anytime he wants to step on the ice and skate with our guys, he's more than welcome."

Edited by poetica, 17 February 2013 - 03:07 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.