Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Manny Malholtra will miss remainder of the season.

• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#151 Raspberries

Raspberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

wow, i am actually shocked it was Gillis's decision. Part of me certainly understands it, but I can only imagine how crushed Manny is feeling right now. This one really hurts.

#152 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,107 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

We have a Selke winner for those moments.

A Selke winner who is coming off an injury and hasn't played in nine months.

I don't know if you remember or not, but when Manny first came back from the eye injury, he wasn't very good in the faceoff circle. I expect it's going to take Kes at least a month before he's anywhere close to as reliable as Manny is right now.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#153 canuckleface77

canuckleface77

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

A Selke winner who is coming off an injury and hasn't played in nine months.

I don't know if you remember or not, but when Manny first came back from the eye injury, he wasn't very good in the faceoff circle. I expect it's going to take Kes at least a month before he's anywhere close to as reliable as Manny is right now.

Very different scenario IMO. Manny was barely skating, he wasn't allowed to until the last week or so before he played.

Kesler has been skating HARD for at least a month, and most likely will have kept his cardio up before that. His strength may be lacking slightly, but I believe his skating will be close to normal.

#154 LegionOfDoom

LegionOfDoom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Sad news, but hasn't been the same since the injury. Thankfully for canucks lappy has turned into the player he is. Will this help the cap situation at all? I wonder who will be wearing the road A in his place?

#155 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Aw Mannimal :(.... you have been a great Canuck, we are all pulling for you !

bmw-e30-m3-drift-o.gif

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society 

-Krishnamurti-            

#156 Mayhem30

Mayhem30

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

I'd like to hear what Manny has to say about this.

Posted Image

#157 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,107 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Very different scenario IMO.  Manny was barely skating, he wasn't allowed to until the last week or so before he played.

Kesler has been skating HARD for at least a month, and most likely will have kept his cardio up before that.  His strength may be lacking slightly, but I believe his skating will be close to normal.

Skating isn't the thing in question. Faceoffs are.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#158 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

This. Finally someone dares to suggest the unmentionable; looks like ol' Mike "think outside the box" Gillis has found a rather creative way to circumvent the cap. It's not like there haven't been questionable IR decisions here before and since there are precious few specifics about WHY Manny is on the IR I smell fish. I feel bad for Manny since I think he is a class act but I fear he is simply not good enough to play NHL hockey anymore and Gillis is taking the opportunity to remove him (and his salary) from the Canucks bottom line.

That's not exactly what I meant, could be true though. Other than his faceoff prowess Manny wasn't contributing much on the ice. With Kesler returning it's possible that he was going to be the odd man out of the lineup.

This may be the best situation for all parties because Manny gets his salary paid in full under this scenario. I think the Canucks are genuinely concerned for his health though.

#159 SOB for MVP

SOB for MVP

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,305 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

He wont play another game in the NHL.

I feel bad for the guy, but I honestly think this should have been done a while ago.

Posted Image

sig by -VC-

#160 theminister

theminister

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,156 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

If he's going to join the team as a coach they should either make him a skills coach or a conditioning coach.

small.pngNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEsmall.png

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#161 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

was always hoping he would return to form... he was awesome that season before the injury, was on verge of being an all-star (selke). I bet we would have won the cup that year if he didn't get that injury. he was a player who found his niche and excelled completely at it.

from the Gillis comments, sounds like what we were seeing on the ice was a result of vision problems still... sucks!!!@$#!$

Best of luck Manny!

#162 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,459 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

Gillis' interview:

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#163 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

Some tweets about the situation.

Dan Murphy@sportsnetmurph
Gillis says the door is closed on Malhotra returning to the #canucksthis season.

Jeff Paterson@patersonjeff
MG on Manny: came to this decision last year, but wanted to give Manny summer to train. Wanted to give him 10 games to see if change

Jim Jamieson@JamiesonCanucks
Gillis said Malhotra will stay with organization in some role as yet to be determined.

Jeff Paterson@patersonjeff
MG on Manny: a lesser person wouldn't have come back from what he's endured

Dan Murphy@sportsnetmurph
Mike Gillis says it was the #canucks decision to shut him down. Organization felt there was a risk to his safety on the ice b/c of his eye.

Poor Manny. As much as it sucks, the organization has his best interests at heart. Hopefully an extended period of time off will see him coming back somewhere in the future.
Posted Image

#164 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

It was the right thing to do as much as it is heart-breaking. The guy was all class but if his vision was really poor from his peripheral, I am glad they did this to protect him. Manny would probably play despite the risk that he could easily be blind-sided.

I think it's classy of the organization to do this so he still gets paid and asked to continue to be a part of the organization. They could have easily waived him or traded him for a late round pick but instead chose to honor his paycheck and keep him involved. As a hockey player you obviously want to play but it is the safer choice, especially since he has a newborn. It is so easy to get a concussion if you can't see on one side as you can't even avoid incidental contact in time.

I wish him all the best and I'm glad he will continue to play a part with the Canucks.

Edited by DooBie604, 14 February 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#165 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,553 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

That sucks.

On another note, we can use his 2.5 M to go after a high-end rental...

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#166 Canouver

Canouver

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

I feel bad for him and it sucks he was are best face off guy. But he wasn't really playing very after his eye injury and talking from a hockey sence its not a real big lose for the club. Especially with Kesler coming back very soon. I hope Manny will be ok and it's nothing to serious.

#167 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Can't imagine how bad he feels

Makes me wanna puke
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#168 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

Very sad news. Good news is that Manny will be staying with the organisation in some capacity.

RIP LB RR PD

#169 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Canucks being classy as can be and Manny doing the same. This is just unfortunate fallout from Manny's injury. When you look at what MG has offered: a second chance to improve this season if possible, a paycheck when that failed, literally making up a job for him in the organization; and all this because they were worried for his safety and weren't going to play him until the day that he gets blindsided gruesomely.

There was no other way this was going to go down. Manny would readily play for this team despite almost any injury. It's the GM's job to reel in competitors like that. Best wishes to Manny.

#170 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

My heart goes out to Manny.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#171 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,374 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

(in all seriousness, i feel legitimately sad for Manny)

Edited by GLASSJAW, 14 February 2013 - 04:35 PM.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#172 rfus88

rfus88

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Funny how things go. One innocent bounce off a stick and his career was never the same...

Wear the damn visor.

The problem is most sticks and pucks come up from underneath. Full face shield is only way .

#173 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,421 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Well, Kesler will probably be back soon now that there is a spot open.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#174 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Sounds like he'll get a role within the organization. Maybe assistant coach?

Sucks that his career has to possibly end like this, but it's good that he'll be sticking around in Van.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#175 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

This announcement makes me sad, Malhotra is such an inspiration the way he's battled back from such a devastating injury and fought so hard to keep playing. I really hope that it's not the end of his career although it does look that way right now. It's very disappointing, that it's had to come to this. Hopefully he can stay with the team in some capacity.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#176 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Why are people so emotional and dramatic in here? jeez, he will still get paid his cash and be part of the team somehow wether its in the coaching staff or management.

The fact is, he isnt helping the anymore, he knows it and so does management. This is not a bad news as everyone think it is, it opens up a spot for us to acquire a player that will be more useful to us or give Pinozotto a chance to crack the lineup.

Im sure MG didnt force him to retire, it sounds like a mutual decision and he did the honorable thing.

#177 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,530 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Damn, feel sorry for the guy, being out for the season sucks. Especially not knowing if you can play in the pros again.

On the bright side for the Canucks we do gain more cap space. We will definitely miss him in the face off circle, but this gives other guys a chance to step in and make an impact in ways Manny couldn't. And the team will still benefit from his leadership. He will definitely help the boys by being a good voice in the room.

#178 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Why are people so emotional and dramatic in here? jeez, he will still get paid his cash and be part of the team somehow wether its in the coaching staff or management.

The fact is, he isnt helping the anymore, he knows it and so does management. This is not a bad news as everyone think it is, it opens up a spot for us to acquire a player that will be more useful to us or give Pinozotto a chance to crack the lineup.

Im sure MG didnt force him to retire, it sounds like a mutual decision and he did the honorable thing.

Because a well respected player on this team may have just had his career ended because of a freak injury.

How hard is that to understand?

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#179 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Because a well respected player on this team may have just had his career ended because of a freak injury.

How hard is that to understand?

Do you know him personally? I can understand the players feeling sad. but people here are acting like they knew the guy his entire life.

#180 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,386 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

I wish him well.

He's my favorite Canuck. Such a classy guy.

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.