Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Manny Malholtra will miss remainder of the season.

• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#211 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,719 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

POPULAR

Im just not as emotionally attached to him like some people are here, doesnt mean i didnt feel bad about what happened.

Sorry if im not emotionally attached to a player that has played 3 years for us...

Even if you didn't care for Manny, is it right to rip on everyone in here who does? It's extremely understandable to get attached to a player so full of class, who battled back through a freak injury, only to have his childhood dream shut down. The whole Malhotra saga has made the fanbase love him, and he was cemented in our hearts with the unbelievable SCF return.

You don't have to care, but at least show some respect to those that do.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#212 Nuckhead13

Nuckhead13

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Even if you didn't care for Manny, is it right to rip on everyone in here who does? It's extremely understandable to get attached to a player so full of class, who battled back through a freak injury, only to have his childhood dream shut down. The whole Malhotra saga has made the fanbase love him, and he was cemented in our hearts with the unbelievable SCF return.

Posted Image

#213 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,341 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

He won't be on LTI unless we go for a trade. By the way this now gives us at this moment 3.35 Million in cap space, with Ebbett, Weise, Barker, and Alberts all could be traded or whatever and we would almost have enough for Lecavelier BEFORE we make a deal invloving Luongo.

As I've mentioned a few times now, this does not affect our cap space. Manny's cap hit still applies as IR only frees up his roster spot. We're currently under the cap by $840K unless Manny retires or is traded and we don't gain anything by putting him on LTI unless we trade for someone (loosely as a replacement) who puts us over the cap. We could apply for LTI relief at that time, though.

Edited by elvis15, 14 February 2013 - 06:05 PM.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#214 Nuckhead13

Nuckhead13

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Class ct for sure. Manny has a bright future ahead of him here in Wancouver still. we'll definitely benefit from having him for younger players to look up to, and teaching them face-off and PK skills, and the meaning of class.
Posted Image

#215 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Absolutely heartbreaking news for Manny and for the Canucks
You can feel the emotion and devastation behind this decision.

But Manny is a valuable asset on any team and in any role. Even if he's not on the ice, he'll still bring a huge amount to the team.

Good luck Manny. Best wishes to you.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#216 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

POPULAR

Yeah i agree, after reading what i said earlier, i did sound like a jackass lol.

Sorry if i offended anyone, my intention was not to disrespect Manny or his fans.

#217 Gunner Garrison

Gunner Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

Man, hope he's okay and can live his life normally in the future.

Also, does this mean his cap is off the books?

#218 thelastguy

thelastguy

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

I'm a little confused about this. Has he been put on injured reserve because he can no longer play effectively at the NHL level because of his injury? Or is his injury the sole reason he is no longer playing?

#219 dirk diggler

dirk diggler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

this explains it all

http://www.cbc.ca/sp...y-malhotra.html
"If I claim to be a wise man it surely means that I don't know..."

#220 Teen Icarus

Teen Icarus

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

Oh well...I hope that he can still help Schroeder with his faceoffs - he really needs some help in the circle.
Spoiler

#221 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

I'll miss you manny. You're too nice of a guy, I'm glad you'll live the rest of your life mostly healthy!

#222 Lulover88

Lulover88

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

good on mike gillis . He may be the worst interview I have ever seen , but the guy obviously has integrity . This is a hard decision to make , and Im impressed that the guy in charge understands that some things are more important than hockey .

#223 Tru_Knyte

Tru_Knyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,355 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

If Malholtra is retiring after this season i hope he stays on in some capacity, could help our centers on their face offs.
Posted Image

#224 The Shirokovian One

The Shirokovian One

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Is anyone else wondering why Manny was so involved in the CBA negotiations knowing that he had ten games to prove himself? I feel terribly for him, its just awful.

#225 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,087 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

Con: We lose a likeable character in Manny, his defensive awareness and face-off dominance.

Pro: We can now potentially gain a player, preferably younger, that is defensively sound and is able to contribute more offensively than Manny did. After the 82 game grind, Manny had zero points for the Canucks.
Posted Image

#226 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

Feel terrible for Manny. He's such a class act and he was so valuable to the team. One fluky puck deflection...

#227 gamasutra

gamasutra

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

I'm a little confused about this. Has he been put on injured reserve because he can no longer play effectively at the NHL level because of his injury? Or is his injury the sole reason he is no longer playing?

Gillis decided Manny's eyesight was too far gone for playing hockey.

"In my opinion, it didn't get worse, but there wasn't the type of change necessary for him to not be at a much higher risk than everybody else out on the ice," said Gillis.

"It's going to be difficult for Manny. It is difficult for him. But I took [the decision to stop playing] out of his hands — and I wasn't going to move forward the way it was going."

#228 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

I hope you enjoy your retirement Manny. You've been a very valuable asset to this franchise and I hope that you stay with us for your great leadership qualities and positive attitude. We shall miss you!

:towel:
Posted Image

#229 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,033 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

It's a shame, he's really given it everything he could since his eye injury. If this turns out to be the end of his playing career I hope the Canucks find him a position within the organization. He's been nothing but class and hard work during his time here, and I wish him nothing but the best with his future.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#230 Mr X

Mr X

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,893 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

I'm bummed out because he was playing so well before the injury, and was getting recognized not only here, but league wide. I had heard rumours from friends who had parents working in the organization that his eye never really improved. I think we could all see that his play was poor at best on the ice, so it's now really obvious why. I think he was hesitant to go "all out" because of his impaired vision and I think it's something that probably won't ever go away at this point, which is totally understandable.

Related to hating on people who feel bad for the guy, I'm going to be honest, I feel a little bad, but not THAT bad, let's put this all in perspective. He makes more money that most of us put together lol.

#231 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

Cap reasons.

I think MG told him either he takes rest of season off
or he gets waived. Manny is not remotely close to the player he was before injury.

This frees up $2.5 mill to bring in a more competent player. Obviously Manny is not happy about this. He wasn't at the press conference and I'm not surprised.

I don't think this is a huge loss lineup wise. I would have done the same thing as MG.

#232 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

That's a shame that is eye hasn't gotten better, never like too see anyone have their vision impaired. It's a reminder to recreational players that you should probably be wearing full face protection.

Nice thing for Manny is he should be set for life if he didn't blow his money.

#233 Jason82

Jason82

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

he was the best half indian to ever play the game :towel:

hoepfully he stays with the org. or goes to SJ another classy org.

#234 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

Manny seemed to be a player who just never got the breaks. He never really fit in with the Rangers, and started to get going when when he went to Columbus.

He seemed to be like Salo getting injured at the wrong times.

I find it unlikely he'll be able to play again. But he is one of the classy, good guys in hockey. Total team guy and good in the community. Never saw him take a shift off. Sad way to end a career. But he's lucky he got to play in the big show. That's better than 99.9% of ever did.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#235 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,374 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

I just got really sad for Manny after getting really mad at someone for disrespecting him :(

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#236 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

Yeah i agree, after reading what i said earlier, i did sound like a jackass lol.

Sorry if i offended anyone, my intention was not to disrespect Manny or his fans.

wow did this just happen on CDC? i totally 1up'ed that post.
Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

#237 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,341 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

Cap reasons.

or he gets waived. Manny is not remotely close to the player he was before injury.

This frees up $2.5 mill to bring in a more competent player. Obviously Manny is not happy about this. He wasn't at the press conference and I'm not surprised.

I don't think this is a huge loss lineup wise. I would have done the same thing as MG.

Well, it has nothing to do with cap right now, as I know you must know. They could put him on LTI if we do trade for someone with a higher cap hit (like moving a $1M player for a $3M player) but I don't know that's the plan considering we have to drop salary to get under the cap next year. If we bring in a rental, I'm sure Gillis wouldn't want to give up much in assets to do it, and if he moves someone like Ballard it'll be for someone cheaper. Even a Luongo deal won't bring back more cap that goes out.

Manny is a loss for us for sure, even if you just consider the depth he brings. It's tough personally for him as well, since he's such a competitor. And those of us who are fans of his play and character certainly hope he's ok emotionally with the decision and will be fine moving forward.

schroedersig2_by_elvis15-d5szksn.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#238 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,639 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

Cap reasons.

Manny did a press conference? When was this?

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#239 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

Whether there was space or not, it'll be very disrespectful if the Canucks just instead scratched him for every game.

#240 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

Man, I hope the Canucks can win the cup this year & petition to have Manny Malhotra as the extra name on the Stanley Cup. He clearly WANTED the cup badly. GO CANUCKS GO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.