The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Manny Malholtra will miss remainder of the season.

AriGold

was always hoping he would return to form... he was awesome that season before the injury, was on verge of being an all-star (selke). I bet we would have won the cup that year if he didn't get that injury. he was a player who found his niche and excelled completely at it.

from the Gillis comments, sounds like what we were seeing on the ice was a result of vision problems still... sucks!!!@$#!$

Best of luck Manny!

It was the right thing to do as much as it is heart-breaking. The guy was all class but if his vision was really poor from his peripheral, I am glad they did this to protect him. Manny would probably play despite the risk that he could easily be blind-sided.

I think it's classy of the organization to do this so he still gets paid and asked to continue to be a part of the organization. They could have easily waived him or traded him for a late round pick but instead chose to honor his paycheck and keep him involved. As a hockey player you obviously want to play but it is the safer choice, especially since he has a newborn. It is so easy to get a concussion if you can't see on one side as you can't even avoid incidental contact in time.

I wish him all the best and I'm glad he will continue to play a part with the Canucks.

I feel bad for him and it sucks he was are best face off guy. But he wasn't really playing very after his eye injury and talking from a hockey sence its not a real big lose for the club. Especially with Kesler coming back very soon. I hope Manny will be ok and it's nothing to serious.

Canucks being classy as can be and Manny doing the same. This is just unfortunate fallout from Manny's injury. When you look at what MG has offered: a second chance to improve this season if possible, a paycheck when that failed, literally making up a job for him in the organization; and all this because they were worried for his safety and weren't going to play him until the day that he gets blindsided gruesomely.

There was no other way this was going to go down. Manny would readily play for this team despite almost any injury. It's the GM's job to reel in competitors like that. Best wishes to Manny.

This announcement makes me sad, Malhotra is such an inspiration the way he's battled back from such a devastating injury and fought so hard to keep playing. I really hope that it's not the end of his career although it does look that way right now. It's very disappointing, that it's had to come to this. Hopefully he can stay with the team in some capacity.

Why are people so emotional and dramatic in here? jeez, he will still get paid his cash and be part of the team somehow wether its in the coaching staff or management.

The fact is, he isnt helping the anymore, he knows it and so does management. This is not a bad news as everyone think it is, it opens up a spot for us to acquire a player that will be more useful to us or give Pinozotto a chance to crack the lineup.

Im sure MG didnt force him to retire, it sounds like a mutual decision and he did the honorable thing.

Damn, feel sorry for the guy, being out for the season sucks. Especially not knowing if you can play in the pros again.

On the bright side for the Canucks we do gain more cap space. We will definitely miss him in the face off circle, but this gives other guys a chance to step in and make an impact in ways Manny couldn't. And the team will still benefit from his leadership. He will definitely help the boys by being a good voice in the room.

Why are people so emotional and dramatic in here? jeez, he will still get paid his cash and be part of the team somehow wether its in the coaching staff or management.

The fact is, he isnt helping the anymore, he knows it and so does management. This is not a bad news as everyone think it is, it opens up a spot for us to acquire a player that will be more useful to us or give Pinozotto a chance to crack the lineup.

Im sure MG didnt force him to retire, it sounds like a mutual decision and he did the honorable thing.

Archived