The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Valentine's Day

Monty

That money simply would be more productive elsewhere. It's frivolous spending plain and simple. That you can more easily afford to spend it does not make it less frivolous, just more affordable to do so.

Like I said, it's certainly your prerogative if you have the funds. Doesn't make it less frivolous though. And personally I wouldn't want to date the type of women who expect $500 dates every time we go out. YMMV.

That money simply would be more productive elsewhere. It's frivolous spending plain and simple. That you can more easily afford to spend it does not make it less frivolous, just more affordable to do so.

Like I said, it's certainly your prerogative if you have the funds. Doesn't make it less frivolous though. And personally I wouldn't want to date the type of women who expect $500 dates every time we go out. YMMV.

You may consider it frivolous, but it is not your money. The person spending the money may not consider its to be so.

I have dated women and spent in excess of $500 on a date and I have spent less. And it is not every date that costs $500. In the case of Valentine's Day it is a once a year event.

I never said it was my money.

It IS frivolous. You can not argue that. It's a complete luxury and not remotely necessary to spend that much money on a date. That you choose to and can afford to is your prerogative but to deny that it's frivolous is ridiculous. You certainly have the freedom to spend it but that does not make it less frivolous.

Whether you were to invest that money, donate it to charity or any number of more productive endeavors, that money would be put to far better and more productive use. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't do it, just don't don't try and act like it's not completely irresponsible spending. Irresponsibility is fun some times, so knock yourself out!

I spent 12.99 on her favourite flowers (potted so they'd last) in her favourite colour on the 16th. The surprise and happiness she had from me getting one thing that was in itself very special and lasting showed me that it meant more to her than if I had just thrown money around and showered her with gifts/dinners/expensive wines. (not that I could have anyways, work kept us both apart on the 14th)

tl;dr moral: spending lots of money may lead to a good time, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you care, or if they care if you care.

Is spending $500 on a special date for Valentine's Day any different from spending $500 on a Canucks game? Two tickets, food, parking, beer, etc. - you can get up to $500 pretty easily. I wonder if all of the posters arguing that $500 is too much for a date would say the same thing about going to a Canucks game.

I've been away from this thread for the past couple days, been traveling (I wouldn't want to brag about where I've been, as the brag quota is filled in this thread) and I guess since I've been gone, I've been called out as "Racist" by Aeromatacanuck (sp?)

I am not a Racist, for the record. Nor did I say anything racist. One more thing, I'm guessing you have to spend money on these girls Aero, I mean, they have to put up with your pilot bragging and clear obsession with yourself and your "supposed" accomplishments. *News flash* when you stated that the USA has airports every 10 miles, this board is based in Canada! Some of the most difficult flying conditions on the planet, given our vast north and variating climate. And I can assure you there's much further landing locations than 10 miles, but I guess your worldly experience would just group Canada with the US.

As a Grandson of a RCAF pilot, I'd love you to tell him to his face how much better you and your Brazilian pilot buddies are at flying than him.

Happy week after Valentines everyone. Take your ladies out often. There really should be no need for a special day. If you treat then right, everyday is a special day ; )

Is spending $500 on a special date for Valentine's Day any different from spending $500 on a Canucks game? Two tickets, food, parking, beer, etc. - you can get up to $500 pretty easily. I wonder if all of the posters arguing that $500 is too much for a date would say the same thing about going to a Canucks game.

Archived