26 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle Eye

Eagle Eye

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

The NHLPA did a remarkable job for the players they represent. The so-called rich players deserve to be paid what their agents negotiate.

The greatest players in the world should be paid a premium, just like the elite professionals in any business whether it’s sports, financial wizards, developers, TV actors and the list goes on.

The Hockey Related Revenue (HHR) goes to paying the negotiated salaries, which salary cap will be reduced in future years to protect the owners from themselves. HHR is paid out to the players pension fund, insurance payouts, hockey equipment to minor hockey players, salaries to NHLPA staff. The NHLPA’s share of billions of dollars is not extra revenue to pad the pockets of the players. If you thought so you were wrong. Most of it pays for salaries and nothing more.

Speaking of Players Pension and Insurance Payouts I’m sure a few players on the Canucks staff have put their career on the line to win a game more than once. Manny’s career maybe over due to an eye injury. Where does that leave him and his young family? Mason Raymond broke his back. He appears to have made a full recovery but has been the media’s and many fans whipping boy ever since.
Rick Rypien gave everything he had to his team and for some reason his disease still kept him from believing he could have done more.

Lets hope surgery can put Erik Karlsson back on the ice and allow him to be one of the greatest defenseman to play for the Ottawa Senators and possibly the NHL.

Pressure from coaches, the media, the fans and the ever-ending burning desire to win. To be the best you can be, all the time without costing your team a bad goal. That pressure, hope you can build some confidence in the meantime.

The so-called greedy players deserve a lot of credit. In my eyes they are all heroes. They are great community people that give back more than most people would ever understand.

Greedy NHLPA, not a chance. Every player is worth every dime they make. Good for each and every player for scratching to the top of the heap. NHL players made it for some reason when millions of kids every year are not successful. They are the cream of the world's crop and deserve every dime.

#2 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Most of these people are making more than I will in 1 year than I will in 10. I shed no tears for them.

#3 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,676 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

Cattle.
Posted Image

#4 Eagle Eye

Eagle Eye

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

POPULAR

Most of these people are making more than I will in 1 year than I will in 10. I shed no tears for them.

That's why your at the bottom of the pile. Thats also why I wouldn't hire you. You cry foul too much. Not a team player.

#5 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,060 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Really? No way! All along I thought it was about the money.
I guess free agents really do care about their teams and players always put their team first as well as the fans.
When the team isn't doing well financially, the players must be the first to say "hey - I don't need all this money - let me give some back so the team will stay a float"....

Posted Image

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#6 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

I guess free agents really do care about their teams and players always put their team first as well as the fans.
When the team isn't doing well financially, the players must be the first to say "hey - I don't need all this money - let me give some back so the team will stay a float"....

Posted Image

THIS CONTRADICTS MY EARLIER FEELINGS. :frantic:

/=S=/

#7 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Yeah, 'cause every company has a rule that says that 50 % of all revenue should go to salaries...

If you don't like it in the NHL, then go form a new league, or join another one...!

#8 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

"Wait, what?.. I'm a millionaire?? MILLIONAIRE?!?!... UNACCEPTABLE!!!"

#9 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

My Mother always told me if I don't have something nice to say, I shouldn't say anything at all.

EDIT: In Before Elvis 15 says this is in the wrong spot.

Edited by Kassian's Face, 14 February 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#10 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

It's not that I think the players are ultra greedy and should bow down to the wills of the owners for money they are entitled to, it's that it's hard to feel sorry for people making 10 times as much as the majority of our country during a time of economic turmoil. So, yes, I guess I do think they are greedy.

#11 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I am so over the lockout.

#12 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Posted Image

that's 2 buddy!!!
Posted Image

#13 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

My Mother always told me if I don't have something nice to say, I shouldn't say anything at all.

wow she failed miserably
Posted Image

#14 ken kaniff

ken kaniff

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

why even bring this up? you had september, october, november and december to voice your opinion. and NHLPA are greedy. yes they are top paid athletes but they dont save lives. Firefighters, Surgeons and Police officers make less money and they do way more for the world than NHL players do. Without police officers, firefighters, and surgeons lots of people would die, without NHL players people would watch the AHL. every sports athlete is overplayed.
RIP rick
Sig too big.

#15 tmajor

tmajor

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Yeah, 'cause every company has a rule that says that 50 % of all revenue should go to salaries...

If you don't like it in the NHL, then go form a new league, or join another one...!

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. The player cost is cost of goods sold. The players are the product we watch. COGS in most businesses far exceed 50%. Overheads (including wages and salaries of the real employees - security, concession staff, retail staff, customer service) can eat up 5-20%. And then there is a profit in the end, even for the bottom feeding teams in "bad" US markets. Accounting hocus pocus can turn profits into losses, especially in the short term...but at the end of the day as long as a team has a value then forecasted cash-in exceeds forecasted cash-out. All NHL teams have a value.

The lockout was 100% pure greed by Bettman and the collective group of owners. There was no need for the 43% ++++++++++ initial lowball offer. The players had to sacrifice over 1/3 of a season in their short careers in order to settle half way, at 50%.

And you thought Bettman was getting boo's before from fans...

#16 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

In my industry about 45 % of the sales are the cost of the product itself. The players are the product.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#17 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

With out the players the NHL does not exist, the NHL are just money grubbers and always have been. Don't hate the working man, hate the company he works for that takes advantage. Sure they create the opportunity for them to work, but they wouldn't be a company if they didn't have good workers. It's a 50-50 relationship, so I see why it eventually settled at that.

I'm sure they have other incomes that come in from outside sources, as do they have a lot of extra expenses. Either way the only real victims are the fans, they could have come to a conclusion if they weren't all so self absorbed. Fighting over money isn't the same as fighting over the right to play the actual game of hockey, so why bother defending anyone? They're all guilty of that in my opinion. I still dislike the NHL in general because it was instigated on their side of things, but they're the boss so lets just accept it and move on.

EDIT: It was all over greed, so I completely disagree with your post. But it was also about the principal of an agreement they had originally made and then went back on that premise. So I understand in a way, but pride only gets in the way of getting down to business and there was a whole lot of that going around the time of these "negotiations." Thank god it's over, I never wanna see another day of wasted hockey again as long as I live! :picard:

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 14 February 2013 - 05:43 PM.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#18 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

All through the lockout I was on the side of the players and the PA, in business if you do not stand on your rights someone will take advantage. My hat is off to the Fehrs for not letting anyone roll over them or over the NHLPA, nobody could have asked for better representation, especially given the history of the organization it was very impressive. Bettman is widely known as one of the toughest negotiators out there but he met his match this time, it's nice to see him and some of the other guys on the BOG taken down a notch. Just like a strong opposition is good for governance, a strong union is good for the sport. To put it in hockey terms, even though the union was giving up some size, the way it stood in there against a bigger opponent and kept chucking em was an inspiration to the guys on the bench, really fired everyone up. Fehr and the NHLPA gets a stick-tap from me.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#19 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

It's not that I think the players are ultra greedy and should bow down to the wills of the owners for money they are entitled to, it's that it's hard to feel sorry for people making 10 times as much as the majority of our country during a time of economic turmoil. So, yes, I guess I do think they are greedy.

Why, you think that other people's productivity comes at your expense? You think that their talent was somehow taken from you and people like you? So you think that because they are more talented thatn you and worked harder at it all the way through childhood and beyond, and because, against all odds, they made it - that somehow it comes at your expense? You believe the non-productive subsidize the productive? Well, I guess if you are willing to throw out all reason, common sense and logic, that you are free to believe that. Of course you are not free to make it true.

#20 VancouverCanucksRock

VancouverCanucksRock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

Yeah, what other frickin union takes 50% from the frickin owners? OP is a.......such a good guy,,,,,,
Posted Image WHen idiots think numbers are words, I do believe in 2012 for cleansing Earth of the idiots

#21 Dr. J.

Dr. J.

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

That's why your at the bottom of the pile. Thats also why I wouldn't hire you. You cry foul too much. Not a team player.

How can you know that? Perhaps he is a teacher, or a fire fighter, or a soldier, or a farmer, or an emergency room nurse -- and does an excellent job. All of these professions are paid a tiny fraction of what a marginal NHLer makes. Does that really reflect the relative values of the two professions?

#22 one night

one night

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. The player cost is cost of goods sold. The players are the product we watch. COGS in most businesses far exceed 50%. Overheads (including wages and salaries of the real employees - security, concession staff, retail staff, customer service) can eat up 5-20%. And then there is a profit in the end, even for the bottom feeding teams in "bad" US markets. Accounting hocus pocus can turn profits into losses, especially in the short term...but at the end of the day as long as a team has a value then forecasted cash-in exceeds forecasted cash-out. All NHL teams have a value.

The lockout was 100% pure greed by Bettman and the collective group of owners. There was no need for the 43% ++++++++++ initial lowball offer. The players had to sacrifice over 1/3 of a season in their short careers in order to settle half way, at 50%.

And you thought Bettman was getting boo's before from fans...

Did you ever think that the 43% offered was what the owners were getting from the last contract.

#23 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

I only cared during the lockout.
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#24 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,683 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

Irony is ironic. But thanks for pointing out that it clearly isn't Canucks Talk.

wow she failed miserably

:lol:

Edited by elvis15, 14 February 2013 - 09:53 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#25 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,741 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:36 PM

The average NHL salary is 2.4M in 2011 - http://ca.sports.yah...g=ycn-10423863; 10% of that ("...1 year than I will in 10") is $240,000. Hardly "bottom of the pile" if you ask me.

Stop being a suckup and defender of the union; both sides were equally stupid to have dragged this lockout on for so long, especially at a time when revenue was at an all-time high (despite what Bettman and the owners said).

I shed no tears for millionaires and billionaires who try and pretend like they are regular blue/white-collared men and woman.

Edited by Common sense, 14 February 2013 - 10:39 PM.

#26 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

Why, you think that other people's productivity comes at your expense? You think that their talent was somehow taken from you and people like you? So you think that because they are more talented thatn you and worked harder at it all the way through childhood and beyond, and because, against all odds, they made it - that somehow it comes at your expense? You believe the non-productive subsidize the productive? Well, I guess if you are willing to throw out all reason, common sense and logic, that you are free to believe that. Of course you are not free to make it true.

I never said they didn't deserve the money. I even said they did in my comment. I'm not saying I deserve to be paid 7 million dollars a year, or that they should be paid peanuts. I am not saying that I am entitled to any of their hard work. My only comment is about them is about them fighting over money. Sure, they have every right to. And I'm not even calling them bad people for fighting over entitlements. But you can't say that fighting over money when you are already being paid millions isn't related to greed. That is greed. They want more.
It doesn't matter if they deserve it, and it's not necessarily evil to want more. I was only pointing out that out because the OP said that wasn't greed.
*Edit* And the reason I mentioned that the rest of the country is suffering financial is because it's why I have little sympathy for their plight. It's hard to feel bad when you know people work 60+ hours a week and still earning peanuts after working their entire lives. It's hard to feel bad when there are people out their forced to take peanut paying jobs when they are trained for much better positions. I am not saying that they should be forced to subsidize others. I am only saying that I don't feel bad for them.

Edited by Tragoedia, 15 February 2013 - 12:17 AM.

#27 Eagle Eye

Eagle Eye

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

How can you know that? Perhaps he is a teacher, or a fire fighter, or a soldier, or a farmer, or an emergency room nurse -- and does an excellent job. All of these professions are paid a tiny fraction of what a marginal NHLer makes. Does that really reflect the relative values of the two professions?

Anybody that complains like the person that you quoted is not a team player. It takes good chemistry to be the best. He can still be a teacher, a firefighter, farmer..... That dosen't mean he is good at what he does. Only the best rise to the top. NHL players made it to the top league in the world. and yes they should be paid dam good for the limited time they can.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.