The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHLPA negotiations was not about greed!

Eagle Eye

The NHLPA did a remarkable job for the players they represent. The so-called rich players deserve to be paid what their agents negotiate.

The greatest players in the world should be paid a premium, just like the elite professionals in any business whether it’s sports, financial wizards, developers, TV actors and the list goes on.

The Hockey Related Revenue (HHR) goes to paying the negotiated salaries, which salary cap will be reduced in future years to protect the owners from themselves. HHR is paid out to the players pension fund, insurance payouts, hockey equipment to minor hockey players, salaries to NHLPA staff. The NHLPA’s share of billions of dollars is not extra revenue to pad the pockets of the players. If you thought so you were wrong. Most of it pays for salaries and nothing more.

Speaking of Players Pension and Insurance Payouts I’m sure a few players on the Canucks staff have put their career on the line to win a game more than once. Manny’s career maybe over due to an eye injury. Where does that leave him and his young family? Mason Raymond broke his back. He appears to have made a full recovery but has been the media’s and many fans whipping boy ever since.

Rick Rypien gave everything he had to his team and for some reason his disease still kept him from believing he could have done more.

Lets hope surgery can put Erik Karlsson back on the ice and allow him to be one of the greatest defenseman to play for the Ottawa Senators and possibly the NHL.

Pressure from coaches, the media, the fans and the ever-ending burning desire to win. To be the best you can be, all the time without costing your team a bad goal. That pressure, hope you can build some confidence in the meantime.

The so-called greedy players deserve a lot of credit. In my eyes they are all heroes. They are great community people that give back more than most people would ever understand.

Greedy NHLPA, not a chance. Every player is worth every dime they make. Good for each and every player for scratching to the top of the heap. NHL players made it for some reason when millions of kids every year are not successful. They are the cream of the world's crop and deserve every dime.

Really? No way! All along I thought it was about the money.

I guess free agents really do care about their teams and players always put their team first as well as the fans.

When the team isn't doing well financially, the players must be the first to say "hey - I don't need all this money - let me give some back so the team will stay a float"....

31182961.jpg

I guess free agents really do care about their teams and players always put their team first as well as the fans.

When the team isn't doing well financially, the players must be the first to say "hey - I don't need all this money - let me give some back so the team will stay a float"....

31182961.jpg

It's not that I think the players are ultra greedy and should bow down to the wills of the owners for money they are entitled to, it's that it's hard to feel sorry for people making 10 times as much as the majority of our country during a time of economic turmoil. So, yes, I guess I do think they are greedy.

31182961.jpg

why even bring this up? you had september, october, november and december to voice your opinion. and NHLPA are greedy. yes they are top paid athletes but they dont save lives. Firefighters, Surgeons and Police officers make less money and they do way more for the world than NHL players do. Without police officers, firefighters, and surgeons lots of people would die, without NHL players people would watch the AHL. every sports athlete is overplayed.

With out the players the NHL does not exist, the NHL are just money grubbers and always have been. Don't hate the working man, hate the company he works for that takes advantage. Sure they create the opportunity for them to work, but they wouldn't be a company if they didn't have good workers. It's a 50-50 relationship, so I see why it eventually settled at that.

I'm sure they have other incomes that come in from outside sources, as do they have a lot of extra expenses. Either way the only real victims are the fans, they could have come to a conclusion if they weren't all so self absorbed. Fighting over money isn't the same as fighting over the right to play the actual game of hockey, so why bother defending anyone? They're all guilty of that in my opinion. I still dislike the NHL in general because it was instigated on their side of things, but they're the boss so lets just accept it and move on.

EDIT: It was all over greed, so I completely disagree with your post. But it was also about the principal of an agreement they had originally made and then went back on that premise. So I understand in a way, but pride only gets in the way of getting down to business and there was a whole lot of that going around the time of these "negotiations." Thank god it's over, I never wanna see another day of wasted hockey again as long as I live! :picard:

All through the lockout I was on the side of the players and the PA, in business if you do not stand on your rights someone will take advantage. My hat is off to the Fehrs for not letting anyone roll over them or over the NHLPA, nobody could have asked for better representation, especially given the history of the organization it was very impressive. Bettman is widely known as one of the toughest negotiators out there but he met his match this time, it's nice to see him and some of the other guys on the BOG taken down a notch. Just like a strong opposition is good for governance, a strong union is good for the sport. To put it in hockey terms, even though the union was giving up some size, the way it stood in there against a bigger opponent and kept chucking em was an inspiration to the guys on the bench, really fired everyone up. Fehr and the NHLPA gets a stick-tap from me.

It's not that I think the players are ultra greedy and should bow down to the wills of the owners for money they are entitled to, it's that it's hard to feel sorry for people making 10 times as much as the majority of our country during a time of economic turmoil. So, yes, I guess I do think they are greedy.

Archived