Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Car jammed at 200 km/h.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#31 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

I challenge you to turn off the ignition even at 50km or less even and tell me how easy it is to steer, try to pull over to the shoulder . If you own a compact then disregard :)

........Have a difficult time believing any idiot would turn off the ignition.My vehicles range from a 1970 XJ6 to an 1989 & 1996 GMC truck.....My point is, irrelevant of year turn off the ignition and the steering lock activates......instant death !

Edited by fagin, 14 February 2013 - 11:36 PM.

#32 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,986 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

I've done that before at over 80 km, if your car was running before you still have easy steering. It's only when it's been off for a while, same goes for the brakes

Neutral and apply emergency brakes gradually would of likely been the safest approach. Who cares about the motor the dealer will be paying for it

This has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. When your engine is running it spins all the belts and accessories, when the engine is off there is no power to the power steering, power brakes. When traveling in a forward motion and steering straight you will not encounter much resistance. Try to actually turn or swerve. The brakes will feel like they are working but what you are really doing is feeling the slow work of the hydraulic fluid not under the master cylinders pressure.

Not to mention if you turn your ignition back to far you may lock the steering column.

No1813_comets2_rr.jpgDec2814_jake_rr.jpg

#33 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

........Have a difficult time believing any idiot would turn off the ignition.My vehicles range from a 1970 XJ6 to an 1989 & 1996 GMC truck.....My point is, irrelevant of year turn off the ignition and the steering lock activates......instant death !

Not when it's in gear. You guys don't know what you're talking about. You can still steer and brake but it will take all your might. In adrenaline mode it will be easier. This is absolutely the right thing to do.

#34 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,116 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

<p>

<br />
........Have a difficult time believing any idiot would turn off the ignition.My vehicles range from a 1970 XJ6 to an 1989 &amp; 1996 GMC truck.....My point is, irrelevant of year turn off the ignition and the steering lock activates......instant death !

equally stupid to let the car accelerate to 200kph without any way to slow down. Was there any brakes at all? Could he have downshifted one gear?

better instant death than killing someone else.

in this case, he shouldn't be driving in the first place. Enough idiots on the streets, don't need physically challenged people on the road to add to the carnage.
Posted Image

#35 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

<p>

equally stupid to let the car accelerate to 200kph without any way to slow down. Was there any brakes at all? Could he have downshifted one gear?

in this case, he shouldn't be driving in the first place. Enough idiots on the streets, don't need physically challenged people on the road to add to the carnage.

........I wasn't defending the said action ! Just explaining what happens when turning the ignition off....that's all.

#36 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=uQ98Z4apta0
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#37 BurnabyJoe

BurnabyJoe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

Nice that it had a happy ending.

I would of have ???? nailed it as well!
http://i8.photobucke...e/canucks40.jpg <- Jim Robson's 40th Anniversary Team.

#38 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:51 PM

Not when it's in gear. You guys don't know what you're talking about. You can still steer and brake but it will take all your might. In adrenaline mode it will be easier. This is absolutely the right thing to do.

....The ONLY way this will occur is with an automatic NOT standard The steering will lock when ignition turned off.

Edited by fagin, 14 February 2013 - 11:57 PM.

#39 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,129 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

<p>

Did people not even read the article?

His breaks weren't working. Every time he hit them the car would accelerate.

This was a car built for a disabled person, it was not your standard car.

Turning off the ignition with no brakes while going 200 km/h would be catastrophic. You would not be able to steer it to safety, or put on the emergency break. :lol:

I love how people act like they would be so calm and cool in this situation, even though I guarantee most of you have never been in a situation like this.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#40 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:10 AM

A vehicle that couldn't slow down....?

Edited by Lancaster, 15 February 2013 - 12:13 AM.

#41 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:21 AM

I challenge you to turn off the ignition even at 50km or less even and tell me how easy it is to steer, try to pull over to the shoulder . If you own a compact then disregard :)

Posted Image

It's a 1960 International, this thing has no power steering (and as you can see it doesn't have much else) and I can steer it no problem and it's not a little car.

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 15 February 2013 - 12:27 AM.

#42 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

Your steering would become very, very difficult. The steering wouldn't lock unless you put the car into park as well but you can't do that at speed.

#43 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

A car that doesn't have power steering is easier to steer than a car with power steering that isn't working.

#44 Guest_Gumballthechewy_*

Guest_Gumballthechewy_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

I love how people act like they would be so calm and cool in this situation, even though I guarantee most of you have never been in a situation like this.

Well I don't know about anyone else here but I'd be cool like a cucumber!

Ha ha! No, I'm not comfortable with excessive speed, I'd probably have a heart attack!

#45 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

It appears not many of you have any idea of how a car really works.

Edited by JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo, 15 February 2013 - 12:41 AM.

Posted Image

#46 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

I'm sure the manual will indicate which lever is the velocitator and which the deceleratrix.
Posted Image

#47 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

dunno why I can't embed You Tube directly. I used to be able to up until about a week ago

#48 gurn

gurn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

"His breaks weren't working. Every time he hit them the car would accelerate"

wonder what would have happened if he hit the gas pedal, perhaps the brakes work?

Scary ride.

#49 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

Scary, i don't know what i would've done.

Posted Image

#50 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

Did people not even read the article?

His breaks weren't working. Every time he hit them the car would accelerate.

This was a car built for a disabled person, it was not your standard car.

Turning off the ignition with no brakes while going 200 km/h would be catastrophic. You would not be able to steer it to safety, or put on the emergency break. :lol:

I've been in a situation like this back in high school in my dad's truck. I shifted into neutral and pulled into a weigh station after the truck kept accelerating even when stomping on the brakes. The engine ended up blowing a hose and shutting off after bouncing off the rev limiter for about 30 seconds, so I had no power steering for the last bit, which was extremely difficult to handle (5000 lbs truck, no power steering), but I got it off the road without anyone getting hurt. My driving instructor had told me this was the correct thing to do if the throttle ever got stuck.

Obviously, this is a customized vehicle in the article and it seems as though neutral wasn't an option.

Edited by n00bxQb, 15 February 2013 - 04:36 AM.

#51 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

I dont know man. I've been driving an '87 Chevy Suburban with broken power steering for quite a while and I still manage. It's not all that comfortable but on the bright side my upper body strength has gone through the roof.

#52 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,187 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Wow a lot of dense/ignorant comments. Turning off the ignition will not lock the steering wheel. There's more than one stop for turning a key people. The middle spot leaves the column unlocked and the ignition off..

I have a ~3000LB vehicle with power steering and despite not actually having the strength of ten men I can still unlock my steering column, with the ignition off and push all 3000lbs of car out of my garage from a full stop, up a slight incline including steering it to compensate for the driveway being on a slight angle...all under my own power through the freaking door window! And no, I'm not a superhero or body builder.

Steering a moving vehicle at any speed is infinitely easier than that even minus the power assist, so at 200kph should be no problem for anyone that isn't completely feeble (or disabled as in the OP who should have still had the option to shift to neutral IMO).

Edited by J.R., 15 February 2013 - 10:20 AM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#53 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,426 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

I've done that before at over 80 km, if your car was running before you still have easy steering. It's only when it's been off for a while, same goes for the brakes

Neutral and apply emergency brakes gradually would of likely been the safest approach. Who cares about the motor the dealer will be paying for it

Except it said when he put on the brakes it would speed up.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#54 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,187 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

Except it said when he put on the brakes it would speed up.

Brakes and emergency brakes are not the same. Seriously do none of you know basic functions of the cars you drive?

Edited by J.R., 15 February 2013 - 12:00 PM.

"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.