#1 PrimeMinisterBure

PrimeMinisterBure

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

POPULAR

I've had enough of this idiocy from Gillis, and the rest of you should be sick of it, too. The Canucks still have absolutely no one that the team can stand to lose for 5-10 mins during any given game who can truly make other teams think twice about taking cheap shots at Vancouver's star players. Manny's gone, so a spot is open, and whatever Volpatti and/or Weise provide to the team can easily be supplemented by Vandermeer with the type of intimidation he brings to the table. Yet, Gillis remains sitting on his ass, spewing his nonsense about how the game cannot be policed by the players and that all of that has to come through enforcement of the rules by on-ice officials as well as those in charge of handing out supplementary discipline. WAKE UP, GILLIS, YOU MORON!! The Sedins continue to get mugged on the ice nearly every game; they are sheltered from absolutely none of this by those people you expect to provide them with protection; and the only person on the team's roster who has the potential to supply them with any of this desperately needed protection has all the following going against him:

- he's 22 years old, and thus has nearly no NHL fighting experience in comparison to the other goons who are often deployed to target the Sedins;

- he's a top-six forward, and is expected to behave as such, which more than likely confuses him as to when he should drop the gloves, if ever;

- and the two players who are supposed to be scoring most of the team's goals currently are not, thus suggesting to him that he stay on the ice and continue to provide the offense they cannot right now instead of scaring the sh*t out of any other players and being sent to the box.

If Vandermeer takes Volpatti's place, the team loses a bit of speed of the fourth line, but so be it. If he takes Weise's place, it loses speed and a fairly good PK man, but Vandermeer can work on improving his abilities in this area over the season and make up for what he's lacking by providing some actual toughness to this team. Either way, the Canucks are better off. THE SEDINS NEED P-R-O-T-E-C-T-I-O-N, and Dan O'Halloran or whatever other dickhead official that clearly has a dislike for Vancouver's star players is not going to provide them with it. Get off your ass, Gillis, and get something done for a change, because other teams have no reservations taking liberties with our players with the way you've built built this team for your entire run as GM. And the fact that you seem to wear that as a badge of pride is absolutely shameful.

#2 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,407 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

He would have to play with the Sedins to act as any kind of deterrent..... that's not gonna happen.

#3 AriGold

AriGold

Hairy Old

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,531 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

AV chooses who gets put in the lineup and not lol..

Nice Gillis hate..

Hockey-Canada-Logo__2__large.png

#4 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Sedin Sedin Brouwer

#5 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,507 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Whoah.Kassian says hello.

#6 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

:picard:

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#7 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

POPULAR

i think putting kassian with the sedins whenever a game gets heated is good enough

i hate this argument

the sedins are grown men , and henrik has been throwing hits and pushing players off him lately
Posted Image

#8 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

POPULAR

I wouldn't call Gillis a moron right now. The team is 8-2-2 without Kes and Booth. Pretty remarkable.

#9 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

there is no room in the lineup to put him...........Kassasin will play with them against physical team but most of the team it skill vs skill

Edited by canuck_trevor16, 14 February 2013 - 07:00 PM.

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

#10 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,306 posts

And which defenseman would he bump?

Having a goon defenseman in the box for 5 minutes a game doesn't do us any good. It just means that the rest of our D have to play with different partners and play more minutes. Which increases our chance of losing. And the other teams goons will take advantage of this.

If we're gonna get a tough guy, we need to get one that can also play. Vandermeer is not that guy.

Edited by DeNiro, 14 February 2013 - 07:05 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#11 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

I remember Gretzky having Semenko as a linemate from time to time. He couldn't play worth crap but being on the line opened up so much ice for Gretzky and kept opposing teams honest.

For some reason Gillis has refused to budge on this even though the whole league knows the Cancuks are soft.

#12 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

A second :picard: for this.

#13 PrimeMinisterBure

PrimeMinisterBure

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

AV chooses who gets put in the lineup and not lol..

Nice Gillis hate..

Yes, and AV also decides who gets traded, he writes up all the team's contracts, and also stocks the vending machines at Rogers Arena. Whether Vendermeer is in Chicago (which he currently is) or Vancouver is Gillis' decision, smartass.

#14 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

I remember Gretzky having Semenko as a linemate from time to time. He couldn't play worth crap but being on the line opened up so much ice for Gretzky and kept opposing teams honest.

For some reason Gillis has refused to budge on this even though the whole league knows the Cancuks are soft.

the canucks are far from soft.....red wings are far more soft

#15 PrimeMinisterBure

PrimeMinisterBure

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

I addressed Kassian in my post. Also, how did that work out with him in the lineup when Daniel was concussed by Duncan Keith, or the other night when nearly every Wild player was having their way with each Sedin? Kassian was present on both those nights. And those are just two of the most prominent of recent memory.

Edited by PrimeMinisterBure, 14 February 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#16 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

You're one angry man/woman
http://Posted Image

#17 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,481 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Call him up for playoffs. But we don't need him right now.

zackass.png

#18 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,306 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

POPULAR

Except that was before the instigator rule.

If someone were to do what he did back then, they would get an extra 2 for instigating, and a 10 minute misconduct.

Teams would gladly take a run at the Sedins if it meant getting a powerplay, and having our enforcer out for the rest of the game.

The NHL is not the same NHL it was 10-15 years ago.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#19 PrimeMinisterBure

PrimeMinisterBure

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

the canucks are far from soft.....red wings are far more soft

BULL****. We have some players who can protect themselves, but none who can protect others! Bieksa, Ballard, Lapierre, etc. are all guys who can look out for themselves, but none are causing any goons from taking shots at the Sedins -- and there's absolutely no debating this.

#20 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

malhotra was just put on IR TODAY!!! Today.....

lol obviously he's going to bring someone up to slot in....

I don't see how you can start calling the winningest GM and Mastermind behind the best 4 -5 years in Canucks history, a moron..

:picard:

And I don't think we are soft when all cylinders are firing and no one is injured...

Ballard dishes huge hits, Hamhuis dishes big hits, Edler inconsistently has the potential to deliver bombs. Bieksa is smaller but adds a mean streak and can swing with heavyweights. Volpatti hits like a train and is an awesome scrapper, Kassian is great a long the boards, hits lots, and can swing with heavyweights (He will be a heavyweight in a couple years once he fills out more, remember hes only 22).

When he's on his game, Booth is a great power forward, can play a crash and bang game (we havent seen a lot of him due to injuries, I was so happy when we got Booth.) Lapierre also hits A LOT. On top of all these guys we have good sandpaper, hard working guys, like YANNIK HANSEN, ALEX BURROWS, Great underrated players in the league.

I'm sure Vandermeer will get his shot.

The Canucks lack size rather than toughness, but even in that... We have a different culture in the dressing room this season. It shows on the ice.

Edited by frazzY, 14 February 2013 - 07:17 PM.

#21 pistolpro327

pistolpro327

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Anyone who thinks we need a fighter is wrong.

We need big skilled guys up front that can throw monster hits which are legal and not penalized that make the opposing team have to think about it the entire game everytime they're on the ice.

That is what we need.

#22 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

miss the day of -1 because we won't bring Vandermeer when Kesler coming back!

#23 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Anyone who thinks we need a fighter is wrong.

We need big skilled guys up front that can throw monster hits which are legal and not penalized that make the opposing team have to think about it the entire game everytime they're on the ice.

That is what we need.

+1
Enforcers do nothing but take penalties and cost team PP we don't want that

Skill and tougness win game we have one player, Kassasin who is big, tough, score, hit, and fight

#24 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

BULL****. We have some players who can protect themselves, but none who can protect others! Bieksa, Ballard, Lapierre, etc. are all guys who can look out for themselves, but none are causing any goons from taking shots at the Sedins -- and there's absolutely no debating this.

But we are debating it right now.

It's not as big of a deal in the playoffs, for which this team is built. The PP is the deterrent in the playoffs. Unfortunately, it hasn't come through in the defining moments of the past two playoffs.

EDIT: also, Kassian makes a big difference. This team has a different sort of swagger this year. And I think that is partially thanks to him. And the defense is tough.

Edited by Mookie Wilson, 14 February 2013 - 07:15 PM.

#25 PrimeMinisterBure

PrimeMinisterBure

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

He would have to play with the Sedins to act as any kind of deterrent..... that's not gonna happen.

You have absolutely no idea how hockey works. You really think that a player has to literally be beside another at all times to provide protection for another..? So, if a line on which a player that just threw a nasty hit on a Sedin just iced the puck, AV can't throw out the fourth line to pay that player back for his action??? I'm totally mistaken on my entire knowledge of hockey in this case. Thank you for your informative post. Now please return to playing with your mobile and abacus.

#26 Kesler_smash

Kesler_smash

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

Seems like all the goon lovers are out today making these total nonsense threads. I'm with Gillis on this one, in my opinion the role of the goon is slowly being phased out of the NHL. I don't understand how this type of player is any deterrent to players taking liberties with star players, other than by jumping some guy who isn't willing to fight, taking an instigator and putting the team short handed. On top of that I don't really see the Sedins getting pushed around in a way that is so serious it would require this type of response. I love when people bring up Gretzky having Semenko...this was what? 1987 sorry but hockey is a completely different game today than it was then and I am glad that the goon is slowly going extinct. I don't watch hockey for fighting and gooning I watch it for speed and skill.

#27 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

i think putting kassian with the sedins whenever a game gets heated is good enough

i hate this argument

the sedins are grown men , and henrik has been throwing hits and pushing players off him lately

Your signature is blocking my shine. My browser takes a moment to load whenever I drag by your posts.

#28 PrimeMinisterBure

PrimeMinisterBure

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Call him up for playoffs. But we don't need him right now.

Yeah, geat idea, call up a fighter for the that time of the season when fighting almost never happens!! When was it that Daniel received that nasty elbow last year..? That's right just a couple weeks before playoffs, causing the team to lose its best player and essentially killing its hopes for any significant impact in the playoffs. YET ANOTHER GREAT IDEA FROM ONE OF CDC'S MANY RESIDENT GENIUSES!!

#29 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

POPULAR

You have absolutely no idea how hockey works. You really think that a player has to literally be beside another at all times to provide protection for another..? So, if a line on which a player that just threw a nasty hit on a Sedin just iced the puck, AV can't throw out the fourth line to pay that player back for his action??? I'm totally mistaken on my entire knowledge of hockey in this case. Thank you for your informative post. Now please return to playing with your mobile and abacus.

This isn't the WWE.
Go back to what you know best.....which obviously isn't hockey.
I don't ride with the band, I roll with the team.

I've been a Canuck fan since 2004-05 when the team was going through a huge transition phase, missed the playoffs

#30 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,481 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Yeah, geat idea, call up a fighter for the that time of the season when fighting almost never happens!! When was it that Daniel received that nasty elbow last year..? That's right just a couple weeks before playoffs, causing the team to lose its best player and essentially killing its hopes for any significant impact in the playoffs. YET ANOTHER GREAT IDEA FROM ONE OF CDC'S MANY RESIDENT GENIUSES!!

:lol:

Alright then if you don't think he would have been valuable in the finals during those scrums in Boston when no one could stand up to Lucic and even Marchand then suit yourself.

I would much rather have him out there in the playoffs when fighting and intimidation matters the most rather than right now when we have guys capable and when we would have to mess with a line-up that has won 6 in a row to bring him in.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 14 February 2013 - 07:24 PM.

zackass.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.