The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to slot in Vandermeer RIGHT NOW!

PrimeMinisterBure

I've had enough of this idiocy from Gillis, and the rest of you should be sick of it, too. The Canucks still have absolutely no one that the team can stand to lose for 5-10 mins during any given game who can truly make other teams think twice about taking cheap shots at Vancouver's star players. Manny's gone, so a spot is open, and whatever Volpatti and/or Weise provide to the team can easily be supplemented by Vandermeer with the type of intimidation he brings to the table. Yet, Gillis remains sitting on his ass, spewing his nonsense about how the game cannot be policed by the players and that all of that has to come through enforcement of the rules by on-ice officials as well as those in charge of handing out supplementary discipline. WAKE UP, GILLIS, YOU MORON!! The Sedins continue to get mugged on the ice nearly every game; they are sheltered from absolutely none of this by those people you expect to provide them with protection; and the only person on the team's roster who has the potential to supply them with any of this desperately needed protection has all the following going against him:

- he's 22 years old, and thus has nearly no NHL fighting experience in comparison to the other goons who are often deployed to target the Sedins;

- he's a top-six forward, and is expected to behave as such, which more than likely confuses him as to when he should drop the gloves, if ever;

- and the two players who are supposed to be scoring most of the team's goals currently are not, thus suggesting to him that he stay on the ice and continue to provide the offense they cannot right now instead of scaring the sh*t out of any other players and being sent to the box.

If Vandermeer takes Volpatti's place, the team loses a bit of speed of the fourth line, but so be it. If he takes Weise's place, it loses speed and a fairly good PK man, but Vandermeer can work on improving his abilities in this area over the season and make up for what he's lacking by providing some actual toughness to this team. Either way, the Canucks are better off. THE SEDINS NEED P-R-O-T-E-C-T-I-O-N, and Dan O'Halloran or whatever other dickhead official that clearly has a dislike for Vancouver's star players is not going to provide them with it. Get off your ass, Gillis, and get something done for a change, because other teams have no reservations taking liberties with our players with the way you've built built this team for your entire run as GM. And the fact that you seem to wear that as a badge of pride is absolutely shameful.

And which defenseman would he bump?

Having a goon defenseman in the box for 5 minutes a game doesn't do us any good. It just means that the rest of our D have to play with different partners and play more minutes. Which increases our chance of losing. And the other teams goons will take advantage of this.

If we're gonna get a tough guy, we need to get one that can also play. Vandermeer is not that guy.

I remember Gretzky having Semenko as a linemate from time to time. He couldn't play worth crap but being on the line opened up so much ice for Gretzky and kept opposing teams honest.

For some reason Gillis has refused to budge on this even though the whole league knows the Cancuks are soft.

I remember Gretzky having Semenko as a linemate from time to time. He couldn't play worth crap but being on the line opened up so much ice for Gretzky and kept opposing teams honest.

For some reason Gillis has refused to budge on this even though the whole league knows the Cancuks are soft.

malhotra was just put on IR TODAY!!! Today.....

lol obviously he's going to bring someone up to slot in....

I don't see how you can start calling the winningest GM and Mastermind behind the best 4 -5 years in Canucks history, a moron..

:picard:

And I don't think we are soft when all cylinders are firing and no one is injured...

Ballard dishes huge hits, Hamhuis dishes big hits, Edler inconsistently has the potential to deliver bombs. Bieksa is smaller but adds a mean streak and can swing with heavyweights. Volpatti hits like a train and is an awesome scrapper, Kassian is great a long the boards, hits lots, and can swing with heavyweights (He will be a heavyweight in a couple years once he fills out more, remember hes only 22).

When he's on his game, Booth is a great power forward, can play a crash and bang game (we havent seen a lot of him due to injuries, I was so happy when we got Booth.) Lapierre also hits A LOT. On top of all these guys we have good sandpaper, hard working guys, like YANNIK HANSEN, ALEX BURROWS, Great underrated players in the league.

I'm sure Vandermeer will get his shot.

The Canucks lack size rather than toughness, but even in that... We have a different culture in the dressing room this season. It shows on the ice.

Archived