The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to slot in Vandermeer RIGHT NOW!

PrimeMinisterBure

and i never disagreed with that - i disagree with having a policeman in a canucks uniform for whenever the sedins get ran. a guy like lucic keeps other players honest, but in the new NHL a guy like semenko would probly cause the sedins to get ran even harder so they can get a powerplay everytime goony mcgoon tries to 'protect' them.

i think every team in the league would take a lucic in their top 6 - this really has never been a question... problem is how many guys like lucic are in the league? not many.. and i truly hope we luck out and kassian keeps stepping up to the plate like he has.

and to answer your first question, no, i dont remember much of the final... i think i've repressed those memories deep down inside forever and ever.

What a waste of my time. First you didn't even remember who you were in a discussion with, now at the end you tell me you don't even remember the problem.

Why are you even having this discussion with me?

If you don't remember what happened in the past how could you possibly know how not to let it happen the future.

Ok, you go watch all 19 fights and then use your power of interpretation on what you consider a quality fight. But that wasn't your original question until you were proven wrong. Again, you asked how many fights there were in the playoffs last year, saying that there would be less than half a dozen and you were wrong. Now you want to argue the quality of fight along with your other excuses you listed. If you want to do that, then I also know there are times where guys drop the gloves and throw a few punches and only get double roughing penalties too but I'm not about to go watch every playoff game from last year to see how many times it happened.

The Bruins have all sorts of toughness, and depending on who they dress, a couple goons. This didn't stop Savard from being turned in to a vegetable, or Horton being concussed a couple times, or Seguin getting nailed many times.

Getting hit and having the line crossed is not unique to our team, and no team is immune.

Read my post again, genius. You really think there are never any times when there would be an overlap between the Canucks putting out their fourth line and the opposing team's first (or any other) line or any one of their defensive pairings? If you really believe that, don't even mention the words hockey IQ to me, you numbskull. How about when the first line of an opposing team ices the puck and is thus forced to take a faceoff in their defensive zone and can't make a line change. You really think they'll just effortlessly be able to win the draw against Lapierre, clear the puck out of their zone, AND make a line change before a guy like Vandermeer could grab a guy like Keith and start pounding his face into the ice?? That could and would easily happen if Gillis had any wits about him and the courage to make the right moves to protect his star players. But the guy is a coward. No wonder he was a players agent for such a long time, the sleazeball.

That's funny because if you look at our playoff run in 94' in the Finals Odjick didn't even play. Yes we had Hunter and Antoski on limited minutes, but that was it.

We lost to Boston because:

1) We couldn't score on the road.

2) We couldn't defend on the road.

3) The team didn't show up in game 7.

The Canucks were more beat up in the Finals against Boston, and we lost key players.

If we had a 100% healthy team we might have had a chance.

You are gloating about 19 fights in 86 games played? You still have absolutely no point. Who were those participants? Goons or real players? What team is going to want a meaningful player taking on our 5 minute per night fighter? Goons are going the way of old yeller, and so are people with attitudes like yours. Players that are willing to stick up for their team mates when necessary are useful as long as they can play hockey. There is no room for a set of knuckles on our roster, and less than one fight every 5 games in the playoffs proves that there is no need for it.

You have absolutely no idea how hockey works. You really think that a player has to literally be beside another at all times to provide protection for another..? So, if a line on which a player that just threw a nasty hit on a Sedin just iced the puck, AV can't throw out the fourth line to pay that player back for his action??? I'm totally mistaken on my entire knowledge of hockey in this case. Thank you for your informative post. Now please return to playing with your mobile and abacus.

So, having one of the toughest players in the history of the league and who was a Stanley cup winner and went to 2 others in Hunter and a 245 pound monster who could skate and crush guys like Antoski wouldn't be better than having the illustrious Victor Oreskovich patrolling the fourth line? Although Odjick might not have played, he would have been a better option than Oreskovich and Tanner Glass too. And that wasn't it, we also had Momesso. Do you think that if Sergio Momesso was around that he wouldn't have done something to Marchand when he was punching Sedin in the face multiple times? Of course he would have. Cliff Ronning loved having that big hot head on his line. When you stick up for each other it brings a team together and this tem has lacked that. The defence also had Didick who was tough as nails and was quick to stand up for a teamate. Like I said, that team could play any way you wanted.

Yes, the Canucks lost Hamuis, but the Bruins lost Horton. And, what team are ever fully healthy by the time they make it to the finals...again, this is as bad of an excuse as the officiating. We lost to the more well rounded team...PERIOD!

Doesn't matter how tough our team was....players and coaching staff said from mid seaon on including the playoffs that they were NOT going to get involved in the after whistle plays. and they stuck to that. It just shows how well respected coach V is because the team never deviated from that plan from the word go.

Oh ya bringing up past teams is useless as it was a completely different game. Having guys like you mentioned in your post in the present game would be useless.

Honestly what do you think would have happened to Gino in todays game if he beat up an entire teams 1st or second line like he did to the St.Louis Blues? Todays game just doesn't allow it.

Orr = Volpatti in terms of hockey ability, but Orr hits and fights a lot BETTER. Brown = Wesie, except Brown fights better. I bet you at the end of the year, Orr + Brown will have as many points as Wesie + Volpatti. The silly thinking of our 4th line guys are better "hockey players" than other teams "tough" 4th line is very naive. Can you imagine what Orr would do to the Boston skills guys if Marchant rabbit punch Phil Kessels? I bet you Orr will probably make Lucic wanted to hide behind the ref again.

I would take Vancouver's 4th line over Toronto's all day every day. Why is it silly thinking when our 4th line IS easily better than Toronto's "tough" 4th line.

Orr - Steckel - Brown vs Volpatti Lappy Weise

With Booth back our 4th is going to look something like Volpatti/Higgins - Lappy - Weise/Kassian you tell me who's superior.

Yeah I'd imagine Boston would be on the PP for most of the game and Orr would be sitting in the box like Ben Eager in the SJ series. Let's put it this way, If i was playing hockey and i knew that some dumbass would come after me and take a penalty every time i laid a hit on their star player i'd be running at their stars all night.

• 1 month later...

Archived