The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to slot in Vandermeer RIGHT NOW!

PrimeMinisterBure

How many fights were there in last years playoffs? Anyone have an answer? My guess it was less than half a dozen the entire playoffs.

Players don't fight in the playoffs. Games are too important, and you only hurt your team by doing it.

You need tough players that can play regular minutes effectively. Vandermeer is not one of those players.

Yes, watching Hordichuk get his face bounced off the ice by everyone he fights is a real deterent. At least Vandermeer can fight, but there are certainly better players that can fight out there.

For the record we do obviously need more messages being sent via fists, and our 4th liners don't seem to want to do their jobs in that department so something should be done.

You have absolutely no idea how hockey works. You really think that a player has to literally be beside another at all times to provide protection for another..? So, if a line on which a player that just threw a nasty hit on a Sedin just iced the puck, AV can't throw out the fourth line to pay that player back for his action??? I'm totally mistaken on my entire knowledge of hockey in this case. Thank you for your informative post. Now please return to playing with your mobile and abacus.

Playoff hockey last year was a full thug fest, like nothing i've ever seen before.

Bring up Vandermeer and sign one more absolute thug.

a monster, 6"4 min... ++ 230lbs+++ with a mean streak.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Burrows

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen

Vandermeer-LaPierre-Volpatti

Raymond / Weise

Learn to read. I said that he would be gone 5 minutes a game. You know, the amount of penalty time you get for fighting.

He's a plug. Anyone that thinks otherwise doesn't actually know much about him. If he was as good as people thought, he wouldn't have cleared waivers.

You are a perfect argument for the case of having a hockey aptitude test prior to being allowed to post in the forums. To begin with the original post was ridiculous .. secondly you attack this guy about his knowledge... How often do the 4th liners on our team play against the top players that are bashing the sedins around? Never, because the other coach is playing them when the sedins are on the ice... this becomes even more difficult of a task for AV to accomplish when the Canucks are playing on the road.

There is a lot more to the game than throwing goons on the ice to rough up the other 4th lines, and realistically for this stupid theory to work, you need to have the meanest, toughest guy on both teams, on your team. Otherwise the other teams tough guys come right back at ya and the Canucks are suddenly taken away from their superior skill game that wins them games.

Sweet plans bud.

Read my post again, genius. You really think there are never any times when there would be an overlap between the Canucks putting out their fourth line and the opposing team's first (or any other) line or any one of their defensive pairings? If you really believe that, don't even mention the words hockey IQ to me, you numbskull. How about when the first line of an opposing team ices the puck and is thus forced to take a faceoff in their defensive zone and can't make a line change. You really think they'll just effortlessly be able to win the draw against Lapierre, clear the puck out of their zone, AND make a line change before a guy like Vandermeer could grab a guy like Keith and start pounding his face into the ice?? That could and would easily happen if Gillis had any wits about him and the courage to make the right moves to protect his star players. But the guy is a coward. No wonder he was a players agent for such a long time, the sleazeball.

Canucks not only make the playoffs they have won the President's trophy the past 2 seasons. They excel in the regular season but the regular season is a different game, they are also helped by being in the NW division.

Playoff hockey requires toughness to be successful at. Even the Canucks organisation agrees with me, hence the Kassian for Hodgson trade and bringing in Volpatti, Weiss and Garrison who is bigger than most other Canuck Dmen.

The team is not complete yet, they need more toughness in their top 9 forwards and a mean, SOB, crease clearing Dman.

Look who won the Cup the past 3 years, Chicago, Boston and LA.

Post 2005 NHL is no more, The way the game is being played you need a tougher, bigger team. Just look at the Canucks' drafting change. They realize this and have gone from drafting smaller skilled players to bigger grittier ones.

I addressed Kassian in my post. Also, how did that work out with him in the lineup when Daniel was concussed by Duncan Keith, or the other night when nearly every Wild player was having their way with each Sedin? Kassian was present on both those nights. And those are just two of the most prominent of recent memory.

Archived