The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to slot in Vandermeer RIGHT NOW!

PrimeMinisterBure

Are you putting Vandermeer in the same class as these guys? How many of those guys would be able to crack our top 9? 2? You make no sense, and you ignore the obvious fact that AV says no fighting a lot when we're in the lead. Hurt them on the score sheet is the philosophy. What makes you think a goon is going to all of a sudden come in and throw knuckles at everything that moves? Unless you have a trade to propose that gives us a player that can contribute and hit and intimidate, then you have no point, cause Vandermeer is not that.

San Jose - Clowe, Burish (had McLaren) now replaced by Pelech,

Boston - Thornton, MacDermid, McQuaid, Lucic, Campbell

LA - Clifford, King, Nolan, Fraser

NY Rangers - Prust (until just a few months ago), Also Rupp until recent trade, Bickel, Asham

Detroit - Tootoo,

Pittsburgh - Engelland, Big Mac (in the minors), Glass

Philadelphia - Rinaldo, Sestito, Shelley, McGinn,

The difference is most of these players are very capable of playing a regular shift and are not just plugs, they also happen to be able to fight. I would not be opposed to getting a Chris Neil type of player for our 4th line, but for those of you who just want a John Scott type or to put Vandermeer on our 4th line that's what I'm disagreeing with. Boston was so successful playing their style because their goons could play hockey, look at what happens when you get a bunch of goons who can't, you end up like the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Obviously you're dumber than a bag of hammers. Never did I mention that the body could not absorb water. Maybe what you're truly lacking is a complete inability to read and comprehend. You were that retard at the back of the class when asked "what is 2+2" by the math teacher, whose response was "jello".

Sorry you had to take the small yellow bus and had to be let out half an hour earlier...it really stunted your socialization and comprehension skills, didn't it?

Puh-lease, i think the only reason we signed Vandermeer was because he literally camped out in Vancouver and was pretty much begging for a contract so we just gave him one.

Doubt he sees any playing time. If we have an injury, Corrado/Connauton/Sauve will get the call.

Okay then, if the Sharks, Kings, Bruins are full of enforcers that stand up for their players after they get hit:

Then why didn't Clowe fight Edler here? Hardly much retribution for taking out their best player...

Or how come nobody jumped Rome after he took out Horton?

Who fought Byron Bitz after he hit Clifford from behind?

There's no fighting in the playoffs. I don't know what hockey some of you have been watching. In the regular season plugs like Vandermeer are a non factor, and only fight other tough guys. They really only have a negative impact on winning games.

Again, enforcers don't stop the targeted hits from happening. They can only get retribution if they happen to be on the ice.

San Jose - Clowe, Burish (had McLaren) now replaced by Pelech,

Boston - Thornton, MacDermid, McQuaid, Lucic, Campbell

LA - Clifford, King, Nolan, Fraser

NY Rangers - Prust (until just a few months ago), Also Rupp until recent trade, Bickel, Asham

Detroit - Tootoo,

Pittsburgh - Engelland, Big Mac (in the minors), Glass

Philadelphia - Rinaldo, Sestito, Shelley, McGinn,

The difference is most of these players are very capable of playing a regular shift and are not just plugs, they also happen to be able to fight. I would not be opposed to getting a Chris Neil type of player for our 4th line, but for those of you who just want a John Scott type or to put Vandermeer on our 4th line that's what I'm disagreeing with. Boston was so successful playing their style because their goons could play hockey, look at what happens when you get a bunch of goons who can't, you end up like the Toronto Maple Leafs.

How many fights were there in last years playoffs? Anyone have an answer? My guess it was less than half a dozen the entire playoffs.

Players don't fight in the playoffs. Games are too important, and you only hurt your team by doing it.

You need tough players that can play regular minutes effectively. Vandermeer is not one of those players.

Wow, this is the third time that you've used the the term "tard" or "retard" that I've seen in this thread alone. You're quite the hero for trying to insult someone by using words that are terms used for the mentally handicapped who have no control over their disability........Do you make fun of the pyhsically handicapped too? Somebody should slap the stupid out of you....but then you'd still be ignorant.

Bring him in. IMO they should have never sent him down.

I'm not interested in winning another President's trophy. I'm OK with losing a few games and finishing top 3 in the Conference.

Lets see what we have in all our depth players and if needed make the necessary changes/trades now so we aren't taken by surprise in the playoffs. Plus I'd like to see him in the lineup and kick some ass a few times. Let other teams know this team will no longer be pushed around.

i was replying to the guy suggesting a gretzky/semenko scenario in a thread about vandermeer. lol. - but thanks for all those letters and words..

but since you brought it up... the canucks were arguably an injury or two from winning the cup (you know that game 7 playoff thingy that happened against the bruins?), and this team has been far from blown up since then. schroeder is softer than hodgson and playing the same role... the only real change since the bruins series was kassian POSSIBLY stepping into the top 6 for good.... which remains to be seen

That's ridiculous to say that the Leafs are terrible because they have tough guys on the roster. The fourth line they've assembled this year is actually making the team better. The thing making the Leafs terrible is everything else (top-six weakness, defense weakness, goaltending weakness, etc.), so please don't use this lame excuse.

Sorry, I thought you were a different poster that I was already arguing with. That's why I came off so harsh.

My apologies.

As for Vandermeer, he's a good bottom pairing D-man on quite a few teams, but not on a team that has the depth on D that the Canucks have.

He could play those minutes on Edmonton, Calgary, and Phoenix, cause really they didn't have a whole lot of options when it came to D.

But IMO, Alberts is a better D-man than Vandermeer, and the only reason people were excited about him was because he can fight. All the other aspects of his game are average or below average.

Oh really? Here's a quote from Brian Burke "We require, as a team, proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence. That's how our teams play" Look how far that got them, where's Brian Burke now? How is their 4th line making their team better this year? The Leafs have a decent record SO FAR because of players like Frattin, Kadri and Bozak playing well, their 4th line is full of plugs who don't really contribute to much besides PIM.

For those that love Vandy so much, have you guys seen his fights?

Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've seen, he's not actually a good fighter. Most of the clips where he fights tough guys, he actually loses

His strength or positive is that he always shows up to fight but I wouldnt count on him to win fights to pump up the crowd or instill fear

Wow, kids that have never played hockey have to realize the enforcer is dead doesn't deter anyone from cheapshoting the stars. Especially with the rules these days.

What kind of hockey professional is going to be scared of taking a punch when they can just fall to the ice and the fight is over? You can't just attack whoever you want out of the blue.

Hockey players protect themselves and Vandemeer can't protect the Sedins from the bench. What kind of make believe world do you live in?

Hockey is a physical game and players are targeted all the time. Get used to it wus. Players have to tough it out and fight through it, not cry like you fight boys for someone to go beat them up.

Vandemeer dressing is not going to ensure the Sedins never get checked. Becasue I'm sure all the players on the other team are chickencraps right?

Archived