The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would Gillis still trade Luongo if he wins the Vezina this year?

ChewbaccaKaboom

Tough to say. On one hand, trading away a Vezina winner isn't unheard of - Roy, Hextall, Hasek - all unreal goalies were traded. But on the other hand, Luongo IS 33 years old, while Schneider is what, 26? 27? We could have a Vezina winner for the remainder of his contract, or a possible Vezina winner for approximately 14. Tough call.

For Luongo to win the Vezina, I think he would have to play a majority of the games, say, at least 30. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If that is the case though, it would be ridiculous to trade the best goalie in the NHL in favour of someone who still wouldn't have played a full season.

It's already a dilemma and I'm pretty sure that Gillis already wonders what he can do since he's got 2 #1 guys (hence Vigneault's coin :P)

The thing is, I really don't think it's smart to run with only one of these fine goalies at this point. Lu's got better stats than Cory, but Cory's (perceived) potential should be very high as well. Having this tandem is about as safe as you can get, since if either falters they still have the other guy at their disposal to step in and possibly steal a win. However, if Schneider's not successful with Lu gone who will they turn to? Conversely though, if Lu falters in the playoffs again with Cory gone who will they turn to? Either way, Eddie's lacking in experience to give the team confidence in his abilities to step in in a pinch.

In short, having both Bobby Lu and Cory as competent #1's is a great problem to have! Thank goodness deciding which one to deal is not our decision to make (but just for discussion's sake I would run with Lu and trade Cory for a 1B guy who's older and below him, yet still capable of spot starts, like a Martin Biron, or what about J.S. Giguere? Either way on top of the former starter in net they would also get other assets in return).

I like a two goalie system, we have two presidents trophies with these guys. If one guy goes down the other guy can fill in with no drop in play. It's just a matter of being able to fit both guys under the cap and them being okay with it. But I think we have similar cap space in tied up in bad contracts like Booth and Ballard (8.45M).

I just keep asking myself, would Boston have won the Stanley Cup with Rask if they had traded away Thomas when Rask took over as the number 1 goalie?

Guys like Hasek and Thomas were very good goalies as older players... I'd hate to lose Lu for a 3rd line centre or a dud prospect.

If it was 0 degrees one day, and tomorrow is twice as cold, how cold would it be?

Why do psychics have to ask for your name?

If Wal-Mart is lowering prices every day, how come nothing in the store is free yet?

The "Psychic Friends Network" went out of business... didn't they see it coming?

Is it possible for someone to become addicted to therapy? And If so, how would you treat them?

Why do we drive on the parkway and park in the driveway?

If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Isn't is it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do "practice"?

When sign makers go on strike, is anything written on their signs?

Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

Why is the word abbreviation so long?

If a word is misspelled in the dictionary, is it misspelled?

And if it is misspelled, how would we know?

Why do "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean the same thing?

Why are they called "stands" when they are made for sitting?

Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected expected?

Why are a "wise man" and a "wise guy" opposites?

Why do "overlook" and "oversee" mean opposite things?

Do coffins have lifetime guarantees?

If the sky is the limit, then what is space, over the limit?

Are children who act in rated '12'and above rated movies allowed to see them?

To all you idiots talking about "trading a goalie when his value is highest" - shutup.

Look back at the last odd 10 Cup winners. One thing they had in common was fantastic goaltending. Now we're getting that level of goaltending, and you want to trade away our goalie because he's on top of his game? Here's an idea, instead of trading him away, lets use that "high value" to our own advantage and win a Cup with it.

Mark my words, if MG trades away Luongo now when he's finally hitting his prime this team will not win a Cup for a very long time. Schneider is still many years off Luongo's elite level right now, and if you think that kid is going to bring this team a Cup after playing around 60 career NHL games you're crazy. He'll enter his prime too, but it's still ways off. Luongo's is now.

Simply, you don't trade an all-time NHL-top-10 goalie when he's in his prime. It would be like the Canucks trading Henrik Sedin last season instead of Hodgson, or the Penguins trading Malkin instead of Staal. You keep your better players, trade your worse ones.

Archived