The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What they're sayin 'bout Manny move....

nickels

I know this is likely to get a very one sided opinion from the posters in here, but I've copied some of the negative(only) comments from article on TSN site. I'm always astounded at the negative view of the Canucks from across Canada...especially towards our players, who IMO are among the classiest groups in the league (Lap,Burrows,Bieksa (Kes?) have completely toned down their chirping from previous years)

Does the Manny move completely pass the "smell" test ? I personally, was always a little skeptical of the timing of the Ballard concussion move last year, and how it benefited the team.

Just interested in everyone's "intelligent" thoughts.....no need to attack the messenger....

Please, don't chime in with insults and "lock the thread" demands. If you disagree, please take the time to explain why......

tylermajor

8 hours ago

Stay classy Vancouver! Oh....too late. Shame on you MG. Manny was not ready to be shut down.

old duff man

9 hours ago

Great move, force a player to retire,because you messed up your cap..Class all the way.

redtribe14

10 hours ago

Everything that comes out of Gillis is a lie, just like the Nucks fans. God to use him for cap room...but it the end Gillis will be the one shown the door

justyouw8

11 hours ago

Nothing but the utmost respect for Manny and wish him well. But does this now mean the Leafs can place Connolly on the IR citing he gets injured too often and is a risk to get hurt again, maybe DiPietro goes on the IR for the Islanders? This is nothing more than a cap circumvention move made by Gillis. He was able to pass a physical to make the team at the start of this year.. Again, best of luck Manny.

renaud

1 day ago

Malhotra is really a classy hockey player, he'll be missed. But I must agree that this move and the coincidence with the kesler return (taking the hole left at the center) is really suspicious.I really love this team, but It seem that Canucks management is circumventing the cap on this one by saying that Malhotra is not safe to play, then is salary won't count against the cap rather than send him back in the minor cause they think he just isn't playing well enought to be in the lineup.

ens fan to the end

1 day ago

Manny is a class act, but I think this is a Salary Cap dump by the GM, now that Kessler is back from LTIR, and his salary will count again. This article is unclear if Manny is being put on LTIR without even a medical assessment being done. Can the GM determine if he's 'at risk' without a medical assessment, and why did he need a few weeks, just before Kessler's return, to decide that he was a risk. I hope the NHL steps in here to clarify if someone can be put on LTIR just because he's not playing well.

finnish

1 day ago

mike gillis continues to disgust me. nothing but good wishes for manny but gillis is a joke.

dreamon

1 day ago

The most capped-out team in the NHL will be creating cap room as soon as they put Manny on LTI reserve, hmmmmmmmmmmm..........get well soon Manny!

str8tup

1 day ago

I never questioned Manny's determination or desire, I question Gillis's integrity. Manny obviously feels that he can still play. His average TOI is down by about 70 seconds a game, he is getting 2 fewer shifts per game but his productivity has disappeared even though he is still winning face offs at an amazing 65%. I still maintain that he cleared a medical coming back from his injury and cleared another one to start the season, he has not sustained any further injury which would degrade his sight. Players have played at this level under similar circumstances. The league should and I believe will review this move. Report this comment!

old duff man

1 day ago

I would like to see what a doctor has to say about his ability to play safley(there are set standard).Manny seems to think he can still play.Were did players agent GM and referee consultent Mike Gillis get his eye doctor certificate.This move has some stink on it

pharoh

1 day ago

investigate Gillis NOW! He got away with it last year and he's doing it again!

demon

1 day ago

How can the league let this go without an investigation? It is a ploy by the player agent shyster lawyer Mr. Gillis for cap relief and most fans know it. Too bad the NHL isn't as intelligent as the fans are! Gillis has to be the most mis-trusted gm in the entire league which is why very few gms want nothing to do with him and why he cannot get rid of Lou. Report this comment!

frankburnz

1 day ago

again I wish manny the best, but the season is less than a month old and all players are subjected to rigorous physicals the nucks had to have known he health was questionable, gillis is playing with the salary cap Report this comment!

str8tup

1 day ago

This is a clear cap violation. He obviously passed the physical to start the year or they would not have leagaly been able to play him. He did not sustain any further injury or degredation to his sight. This is cheating plain and simple

TSN is filled with Canuck haters. You don't mention the Oilers and Blackhawk fans that state they can't stand the team but they say Manny was class all the way, and wished him well.

Some on TSN are really bad. HodgePodge being the worst. (Sounds like he's a die-hard Oiler/Flames Fan)

Gillis said he wanted to give Manny 10 games to see how he'd do. He's done that. If the player is at risk because he can't see out of one eye, I'm sure he understands that. If Manny truly feels he can still play. I'm sure he'd waive his no trade and asked to be moved. And he hasn't done that.

TSN is filled with Canuck haters. You don't mention the Oilers and Blackhawk fans that state they can't stand the team but they say Manny was class all the way, and wished him well.

Some on TSN are really bad. HodgePodge being the worst. (Sounds like he's a die-hard Oiler/Flames Fan)

Gillis said he wanted to give Manny 10 games to see how he'd do. He's done that. If the player is at risk because he can't see out of one eye, I'm sure he understands that. If Manny truly feels he can still play. I'm sure he'd waive his no trade and asked to be moved. And he hasn't done that.

I said this yesterday. MG is in a "no win" situation because if Manny got badly injured due to "a blind spot say" the insurers for the NHL may not think they are liable to pay out.

Was there not a similar situation back a few years ago when a player with a known injury was played and he then acquired a career ending injury?

I have my differences with MG on some things but when it comes to doing the decent thing for any players welfare he has always been classy. No one gives more players the chance to revamp their career after injury than Mike Gillis imo.

These people just can't stand the Canucks (more likely because of their fans than anything else) and would stoop to any depths to trash Vancouver.

I was under the impression that Manny's salary still goes against the cap and were cap compliant with both Kessler and Booth in the lineup, however the Manny move does create a rooster spot so nobody needs to to be sent down... could be wrong here though, hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.

With that being said nobody of the above tweeters are doctors or have close contact with Manny and MG, besides most are just haters and supporters of their own teams....basically anyone can say what they want but they will never know the exact reason until more of an "official" announcement is made or they have access to some "inside information", and even then its up the players discretion...

Even if what the tweeters are mentioning happens to be true, this is a move made by the GM using a loophole in the system, which is not something unusual in NHL, just look into Tim Thomas trade to NYI!

As a GM would you risk a players health and possibly a Stanley Cup if the player wanted to play and felt he could play? Were all sad to see Malholtra go, but then think further and in the future of both the player and the team.

Do I personally find it peculiar that Manny is placed on LIR when Kesler is cleared to play? Yes, but then that's the reason why MG is the gm and were not...the guy is a lawyer and has been around the business for a few, so I think its safe to think the guy must have a fair clue of what hes doing. There are so many things we find peculiar about NHL, yet we still support favorite our teams, so what?

Just think about how difficult and dangerous it is to play with one eye if all the reports and other tweets about Manny's condition are close to being true... also the insurers might not want to insure a player knowing his eye condition.

Bottom line here is opinions are just opinions and haters will always be haters.

This tweeter thing is worst than a broken telephone... if I fart and tell the person on the phone i farted, then there is one other person knowing bad the air around me is at that time, but if I pull out the smart phone and tweet, then the whole world knows about it... do you see where I'm going with this?

Honestly, Manny knew he was done as soon as he saw the extent of his injury. Before and after stats do nothing but prove the obvious. Before and after PICS do nothing but prove the obvious.

Not ready to retire?

Please...

If he continued, he would eventually be blindside hit and destroyed worse than he is now.

If CAP compliance is not the issue then clearing a roster spot could have been accomplished by waiving Ebbett.

You want to talk about Gillis being classy, consider Raymond. It was Gillis who insisted that Raymond could come back from his injury. Every yahoo on CDC was calling for his demotion or trade.

What these ignorant armchairs don't realize is that the Canucks really need Manny... He plays/ed and extremely important role on this team, and very effectively. The Canucks don't need to make a "cap dump" - they are cap compliant - and Malhotra is a free agent at season's end when the Canucks will actually need to address cap issues. What this does is leave a big gap in the bottom six at the most crucial position to this organization. It means they actually need to spend asset value to acquire another depth center and very few guys in the league make a comparable substitute in that role.

Spare us the conspiratorial cap circumvention nonsense - you don't know what you're talking about.

Archived