#1 goneforever

goneforever

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

POPULAR

I wrote this up for PuckBuddys after the contretemps with the Southersiders at Rogers Arena a few nights ago, and ponder: why does Canucks security have a no-fun policy in the arena? Two seasons ago Canucks also made news when they evicted two gay fans wearing "HOCKEY LUVIN HOMOS" t-shirts. Probably would not have been bothered had they not been sitting directly behind the bench in full view of TV cameras.

The Silence of the Fans

Do you like the title? Get it? :)

Seeya at the game tonight!

#2 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

"HOCKEY LUVIN HOMOS"

How could I forget those guys.

#3 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

Ah yes, a no-fun policy with ridiculous beer prices. The recipe for a great atmosphere. :/

#4 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,002 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Ridiculous beer prices are everywhere. No excuse for silence of the fans compared to other arenas.
Posted Image

#5 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

I wrote this up for PuckBuddys after the contretemps with the Southersiders at Rogers Arena a few nights ago, and ponder: why does Canucks security have a no-fun policy in the arena?

The Silence of the Fans

Very good read! Thanks for writing that up!

Rogers arena is generally pretty quiet. Don't get me wrong, there is an "atmosphere" of anticipation and tension but there isn't much cheering. I think there might be a social psychology reasoning to a quiet arena. Obviously if the fans are generally quiet then the chances of one person standing up and cheering for their team is pretty low. And even if they do do it the people around that one fan may think of him weirdly and ignore him (hence why it's so hard to start a cheer at a Canucks game). A bit of an "outcast" effect so to speak, no?

Edited by Blömqvist, 15 February 2013 - 02:37 PM.

Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

#6 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

edit: double post

Edited by Blömqvist, 15 February 2013 - 02:36 PM.

Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

#7 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

If everyone starts to have fun, what are they going to do? Kick out thousands of people? You get kicked out for being the norm. Get 20+ people excited to go and bring in a good attitude and things might change.

#8 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Very good read! Thanks for writing that up!

Rogers arena is generally pretty quiet. Don't get me wrong, there is an "atmosphere" of anticipation and tension but there isn't much cheering. I think there might be a social psychology reasoning to a quiet arena. Obviously if the fans are generally quiet then the chances of one person standing up and cheering for their team is pretty low. And even if they do do it the people around that one fan may think of him weirdly and ignore him (hence why it's so hard to start a cheer at a Canucks game). A bit of an "outcast" effect so to speak, no?

Edit: slow day for me obviously :P

Edited by Jester13, 15 February 2013 - 02:50 PM.

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#9 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Great article! I think the Southsiders are awesome. They made my first whitecaps game so much fun, I wish I was sitting by them rather than the listless fans I was surronded by.
Posted Image

#10 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

I usually just want to sit and watch the game, cheer at big plays, shifts and goals, but thats it. In the playoffs it's amped, don't really care about it being quiet the rest of the time. Cheaper beer would obvs be nice tho.

#11 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:55 PM

But as far as I’m concerned, I’d like to encourage young men to take their shirts off at hockey games more frequently. As long as they’ve been manscaped. Otherwise, throw the wookies out.

hahaahah, nice :bigblush:

#12 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

I can smell your rant....

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#13 Profanity

Profanity

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

Thumbs up!

#14 dhawk11

dhawk11

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

I usually just want to sit and watch the game, cheer at big plays, shifts and goals, but thats it. In the playoffs it's amped, don't really care about it being quiet the rest of the time. Cheaper beer would obvs be nice tho.

or you could stay at home. cheap beer and quiet there too

#15 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,773 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

POPULAR

I'm a bit of a nutjob at games (within reason - no animals or small children are hurt in the process). Me and my cowbell cheer HARD. But here's why I don't seem to ruffle feathers....I try to befriend those around me pre-game so they're guilted into accepting my behavior. I'm already one of the family by the time my eruption of cheers is unleashed, so they just roll with it. They actually join in at times. I had a very conservative Asian fellow in a suit with his two young children behind me a few games ago and it was tense at first....opera claps and upright postures for all. But I high fived him at the first goal, got him singing along with some of the songs and, by the end, he was walking on the wild side with me.

So it's all about approach...if you see someone sneering, talk to them. Ask if they're bothered by your cheering and, if they are, try to get them laughing and having fun WITH you then they'll be more inclined to ignore things. But if you take an "in your face" attitude, it usually isn't readily accepted or welcomed.

Sure, you'll always have that one idiot who wants to take a nap. Or, in my case, Colorado fans behind you (me) who yell "SIT DOWN" during Lu's final, winning save in a shoot out. Really? No.

It's about compromise and meeting in the middle. Respecting those around you and trying to encourage vs argue with them. Most people have a soft side and if you work on that, it's usually more successful than simply making your stand.

I don't get being asked to sit down with no one behind you....there may be more to this. Were they spilling beer on the people in front of them? I've had that happen, and it ain't cool. Messy drinkers are not good cheerleaders, even if they think they are.

But instead of fighting to be heard I think it's a matter of convincing others that we should be. It's a hockey rink for crying out loud.

Signed,
Deb the Homer Cheerleader.
Woo.

(Great article, GC...always love your stuff)

Posted Image

#16 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

or you could stay at home. cheap beer and quiet there too

I'll bet most of the stay at home fans like myself are noisier at home than fans at the arena. Hmmm...perhaps it could be the cheaper price for beer contributing?

#17 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

rogers arena sucks. bad music bad fans terrible ticket and consession prices. no cup holders unless your in club seats. the concorse is to small around the consessions for how many people are in the building .. the team that plays there has never won a championship. no sence of tradition in the building ( stan smyl and other banners like 94s were taken down and replaced with ones that would match.) stan never wore blue and green ever. the loudest the building ever gets is when everyone boo's the ref but i guess thats tradition seeing is how canuck fans are famous for blaming refs for everything and consipiracy theorys we even have a statue of our beloved ex coach roger complaining about the refs outside out building.

#18 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

Although I have known to get crazy at games sometimes, no liquor required. I have seen both sides of this coin and would have to say that I am glad security is there. There is the odd fan that takes it too far and it becomes quite embarrassing to even be in the stands. I am all for having fun, and believe this should be encouraged but if you are hanging over the balcony then you should be dealt with accordingly. If this was not the case then, let me further play devils advocate here as say that maybe the "No-fun" mentality of the security officers has may be something to do with this....

or this...

or this...

or this :bigblush:

Sorry just love that clip so much :emot-parrot:
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#19 forsaken_canuck

forsaken_canuck

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

My theory as to why TPTB want a quiet arena atmosphere is because the players really need to concentrate and if it gets too loud they can't hear AV talk on the bench.
Posted Image

#20 DcANuck

DcANuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

rogers arena sucks. bad music bad fans terrible ticket and consession prices. no cup holders unless your in club seats. the concorse is to small around the consessions for how many people are in the building .. the team that plays there has never won a championship. no sence of tradition in the building ( stan smyl and other banners like 94s were taken down and replaced with ones that would match.) stan never wore blue and green ever. the loudest the building ever gets is when everyone boo's the ref but i guess thats tradition seeing is how canuck fans are famous for blaming refs for everything and consipiracy theorys we even have a statue of our beloved ex coach roger complaining about the refs outside out building.

:picard:

Edited by DcANuck, 15 February 2013 - 03:21 PM.

Posted Image

#21 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,773 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Oh, and I meant to say great article Fannibal Lecter.

Posted Image

#22 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,861 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

I'll bet most of the stay at home fans like myself are noisier at home than fans at the arena. Hmmm...perhaps it could be the cheaper price for beer contributing?

Good call. I'll pick up the Southsiders and be at your place for 7.

#23 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Ridiculous beer prices are everywhere. No excuse for silence of the fans compared to other arenas.

Ever been to the states?

#24 Middle Nicoli

Middle Nicoli

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

I was actually at the Minnesota game on Tuesday when the Southsiders started to chant. At first I wonder what was happening, kinda of a Glee thing going, until I realized that it was the Southsiders. Since the game was kinda boring it did liven the place up. Don't know yet if I liked it or not, was a very soccer/football thing. Probably won't happen very often once the Whitecap season starts. I guess I was lucky to pick that night:-)

#25 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

:picard:

the best part about u not liking my post is u really have nothing to argue against but put up that stupid face palm youve contributed as much to this convo as you have to society 0

#26 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,558 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

the best part about u not liking my post is u really have nothing to argue against but put up that stupid face palm youve contributed as much to this convo as you have to society 0

Your post was mainly complaining about Smyls jersey not being the right color...

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Nobody breaks from Mafia... Mafia breaks YOU!

CDCFL - Montreal Canadiens GM
CDCEHL - Winnipeg Jets AGM

#27 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

I'm a bit of a nutjob at games (within reason - no animals or small children are hurt in the process). Me and my cowbell cheer HARD. But here's why I don't seem to ruffle feathers....I try to befriend those around me pre-game so they're guilted into accepting my behavior. I'm already one of the family by the time my eruption of cheers is unleashed, so they just roll with it. They actually join in at times. I had a very conservative Asian fellow in a suit with his two young children behind me a few games ago and it was tense at first....opera claps and upright postures for all. But I high fived him at the first goal, got him singing along with some of the songs and, by the end, he was walking on the wild side with me.

So it's all about approach...if you see someone sneering, talk to them. Ask if they're bothered by your cheering and, if they are, try to get them laughing and having fun WITH you then they'll be more inclined to ignore things. But if you take an "in your face" attitude, it usually isn't readily accepted or welcomed.

Sure, you'll always have that one idiot who wants to take a nap. Or, in my case, Colorado fans behind you (me) who yell "SIT DOWN" during Lu's final, winning save in a shoot out. Really? No.

It's about compromise and meeting in the middle. Respecting those around you and trying to encourage vs argue with them. Most people have a soft side and if you work on that, it's usually more successful than simply making your stand.

I don't get being asked to sit down with no one behind you....there may be more to this. Were they spilling beer on the people in front of them? I've had that happen, and it ain't cool. Messy drinkers are not good cheerleaders, even if they think they are.

But instead of fighting to be heard I think it's a matter of convincing others that we should be. It's a hockey rink for crying out loud.

Signed,
Deb the Homer Cheerleader.
Woo.

(Great article, GC...always love your stuff)

Good post and I agree with you, we're all in this together. You do, however, touch on a subject that is near and dear to my heart when you mention your cowbell.

I'm assuming you have one of those tinkly kind of cowbells (you know, like what cows sometimes wear) that are fairly innocuous but there are those people who like to bring those giant rock and roll style cowbells that put out incredible sound pressure levels that can seriously damage your hearing. I hate these people. They are usually related to my least favorite kind of person at any kind of public event that involves cheering and/or applause. I call them the two fingered whistle blasters (2FWB's for short). These people are always men (in my experience I have witnessed exactly one woman who did this) and they pride themselves on being able to create frequencies and sound pressure levels that can seriously damage your hearing. What's more they are so proud of their ability that it seems the more obnoxious and loud the whistle the more they want to do it. I work as a live sound engineer (amongst other things) and I have had situations where incredibly loud death metal bands were actually being drowned out by some maroon whistling throughout the performance. These bozos usually like to situate themselves right beside the sound board where, even with molded ear plugs they completely deafen me and make it impossible to do my job. Every single time that I request that they stop they puff up and get in my face; classic passive aggressive bullcrap. In literally every case I have had to eject these imbeciles because they refused to stop and in a couple of cases I was threatened with physical violence to the point where I have actually had to bar people from the club that I work at. For WHISTLING!!! We have all had to put up with these people and I for one don't stand for it for more than a few seconds whether I am at work or out in public. If you are one of these people (not you, Deb but I mean the general public) you might want to take a long hard look at why you find it so important to show us all your fabulous whistling skills. Do it around me too much and you will get five in the gums; I make my living with my ears and woe be the retard that tries to damage my hearing in a macho show of ego. Rant over.

#28 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

imagine if lower bowl was always standing going hard southsider style. that would be epic, instead its Dbags closing business deals ...massaging clients..poor players. Rogers is the worst.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#29 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

It's gonna be hard to change, most of the people who frequent games just aren't those rowdy type of people.

On the bright side, i do know that management have been talking to the Penguins in trying to get ideas to create a better crowd atmosphere. The Pens do a great job at getting excitement in the arena such as the ''Student Rush'' where they offer discounted tickets to college and highschool students, injecting the arena with some youth, who knows maybe that will work.
Posted Image

#30 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

Rogers Arena has had a similar policy for concerts as well.
For example my experience at a Metallica concert which they were filming for a DVD. They had specifically asked the audience to be as loud as possible and to sing to the songs with them, but the security kept telling people around me to be quiet. I managed to not get asked despite providing volume, but the people in front of me weren't so lucky. They were thrown out even though they weren't bothering anybody. Well nobody other than the snooty girl sitting next to me with her mother who was on her cell the whole time.
The security is terrible and creates a bad atmosphere.

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.