Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

goneforever

The Silence of the Fans: Southsiders vs. Canucks Security

62 posts in this topic

Ah yes, a no-fun policy with ridiculous beer prices. The recipe for a great atmosphere. :/

Ridiculous beer prices are everywhere. No excuse for silence of the fans compared to other arenas.

I wrote this up for PuckBuddys after the contretemps with the Southersiders at Rogers Arena a few nights ago, and ponder: why does Canucks security have a no-fun policy in the arena?

The Silence of the Fans

If everyone starts to have fun, what are they going to do? Kick out thousands of people? You get kicked out for being the norm. Get 20+ people excited to go and bring in a good attitude and things might change.

Very good read! Thanks for writing that up!

Rogers arena is generally pretty quiet. Don't get me wrong, there is an "atmosphere" of anticipation and tension but there isn't much cheering. I think there might be a social psychology reasoning to a quiet arena. Obviously if the fans are generally quiet then the chances of one person standing up and cheering for their team is pretty low. And even if they do do it the people around that one fan may think of him weirdly and ignore him (hence why it's so hard to start a cheer at a Canucks game). A bit of an "outcast" effect so to speak, no?

Great article! I think the Southsiders are awesome. They made my first whitecaps game so much fun, I wish I was sitting by them rather than the listless fans I was surronded by.

I usually just want to sit and watch the game, cheer at big plays, shifts and goals, but thats it. In the playoffs it's amped, don't really care about it being quiet the rest of the time. Cheaper beer would obvs be nice tho.

But as far as I’m concerned, I’d like to encourage young men to take their shirts off at hockey games more frequently. As long as they’ve been manscaped. Otherwise, throw the wookies out.

I usually just want to sit and watch the game, cheer at big plays, shifts and goals, but thats it. In the playoffs it's amped, don't really care about it being quiet the rest of the time. Cheaper beer would obvs be nice tho.

rogers arena sucks. bad music bad fans terrible ticket and consession prices. no cup holders unless your in club seats. the concorse is to small around the consessions for how many people are in the building .. the team that plays there has never won a championship. no sence of tradition in the building ( stan smyl and other banners like 94s were taken down and replaced with ones that would match.) stan never wore blue and green ever. the loudest the building ever gets is when everyone boo's the ref but i guess thats tradition seeing is how canuck fans are famous for blaming refs for everything and consipiracy theorys we even have a statue of our beloved ex coach roger complaining about the refs outside out building.

Although I have known to get crazy at games sometimes, no liquor required. I have seen both sides of this coin and would have to say that I am glad security is there. There is the odd fan that takes it too far and it becomes quite embarrassing to even be in the stands. I am all for having fun, and believe this should be encouraged but if you are hanging over the balcony then you should be dealt with accordingly. If this was not the case then, let me further play devils advocate here as say that maybe the "No-fun" mentality of the security officers has may be something to do with this....

or this...

or this...

or this :bigblush:

Sorry just love that clip so much :emot-parrot:

My theory as to why TPTB want a quiet arena atmosphere is because the players really need to concentrate and if it gets too loud they can't hear AV talk on the bench.

rogers arena sucks. bad music bad fans terrible ticket and consession prices. no cup holders unless your in club seats. the concorse is to small around the consessions for how many people are in the building .. the team that plays there has never won a championship. no sence of tradition in the building ( stan smyl and other banners like 94s were taken down and replaced with ones that would match.) stan never wore blue and green ever. the loudest the building ever gets is when everyone boo's the ref but i guess thats tradition seeing is how canuck fans are famous for blaming refs for everything and consipiracy theorys we even have a statue of our beloved ex coach roger complaining about the refs outside out building.