The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Silence of the Fans: Southsiders vs. Canucks Security

goneforever

Yeah security is pretty bad, I remember one game there was a little kid sitting behind me with a cowbell and an airhorn it was so damn annoying, but I still didn't say anything because I expected to hear that at an NHL game. People who complain about loud noises and stuff need to stay home.

Whitecaps atmosphere > Canucks atmosphere

Got my whitecap season tickets yesterday and can't be happier, I don't even go to single Canuck games anymore because they just aren't fun anymore to be there. Last time I went there I was cheering when they weren't playing well and someone told me to quiet so I haven't been back in like 3 years.

Very good read! Thanks for writing that up!

Rogers arena is generally pretty quiet. Don't get me wrong, there is an "atmosphere" of anticipation and tension but there isn't much cheering. I think there might be a social psychology reasoning to a quiet arena. Obviously if the fans are generally quiet then the chances of one person standing up and cheering for their team is pretty low. And even if they do do it the people around that one fan may think of him weirdly and ignore him (hence why it's so hard to start a cheer at a Canucks game). A bit of an "outcast" effect so to speak, no?

Although I absolutely agree with what you say, you have to understand that having 'HOCKEY LUVIN HOMOS' written publicly on your shirt by gay guys is no different than having 'HOCKEY LUVIN N***ERS' written on the shirts of two black guys. They would probably get thrown out or asked to take them off as well.

Nobody likes the no-fun police but that is kind of the norm for our society in regards to profanities.

Although I absolutely agree with what you say, you have to understand that having 'HOCKEY LUVIN HOMOS' written publicly on your shirt by gay guys is no different than having 'HOCKEY LUVIN N***ERS' written on the shirts of two black guys. They would probably get thrown out or asked to take them off as well.

Nobody likes the no-fun police but that is kind of the norm for our society in regards to profanities.

The problem is the players one the ice being paid millions of dollars don't like silence.. hence Bieksa statement last year about the crowd is not cheering loud enough ,when responding to losing at home or something.. ?

honestly if that is the way they want the fans to act then Vancouver really needs to rethink there ticket prices or who they let buy season tickets. all these non fans are ruining it for everyone because they want to look good. look at any of the other teams they all try to be the loudest fans in the league and the canucks ownership is trying to make it more like curling or golf........ wake up fans need to be fans.

if my local WHL team did this and i was not able to be a crazy fan at the games i would never buy a ticket again.

It really sucks, because those guys have the right idea and have worked wonders with Whitecap games.

I also get confused when people claim they don't cheer or stand because they want to concentrate on the game. Can you not do both? Or is that too much for your brain to handle? I mean, Rogers Arena doesn't even need chants or songs in the crowd. It just needs a bit of noise to encourage the team. Sadly, that doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon.

That is how you cheer for your team. You don't have to sing, just make some noise. At least try to encourage the team to win. The crowd can make a huge difference.

Oh man, hats off to the southsiders. I can't wait until Ottawa gets a pro soccer team and join a firm. It's so much fun to get amped up for a game and its a good time. Keep it within reason. I wasn't there but surely these lads were not physically harming anyone. Let em be as loud as they want. Maybe we'd have a Winnipeg type atmosphere. I'm watching the weenerpeg Pittsburg match and their fans are nuts. Everyone is cheering.

It's all ticket prices and corporate seating.

This really grinds my gears. Yes, 2008 called, they want their reference back. But it's true.

Either way. Can't wait for the game tonight. Wife and daughter sleeping I get to be excited and cheer!

No security will stop me haha

Whitecaps atmosphere > Canucks atmosphere

Got my whitecap season tickets yesterday and can't be happier, I don't even go to single Canuck games anymore because they just aren't fun anymore to be there. Last time I went there I was cheering when they weren't playing well and someone told me to quiet so I haven't been back in like 3 years.

I notiice a big difference at Lions' games too. I sit in the end zone there and it's so loud by the fourth quarter or when the D is on the field in a close game. Crazy loud. It's quite a contrast and hard to adjust at a Canucks game...I almost feel embarrassed at times by the lack of support being shown to the guys out there on the ice. It's one thing to "watch" them, but how about cheering them on? No excuse for throwing people out who aren't clearly a threat in some way.

Ridiculous beer prices, with ridiculous no-fun rules due to over controlling power hungry security = quiet crowd and terrible atmosphere.

Maybe if they let Canuck fans release their emotion in the stadium, they wouldn't riot in the streets.

This is a shout out to Canuck security, you guys suck.

Ridiculous beer prices, with ridiculous no-fun rules due to over controlling power hungry security = quiet crowd and terrible atmosphere.

Maybe if they let Canuck fans release their emotion in the stadium, they wouldn't riot in the streets.

I thought the beer prices were high at Rogers Arena/GM Place, until I actually lived in Vancouver and realized that the beer prices are actually high...in Vancouver! (just like everyone else, as it turns out, but that's another story). It's cause people in Vancouver are on average wealthy and so they know we will pay more for stuff on average, allowing them to charge more and still hit sales targets, marketing 101.

Thanks for the kudos! At the game last night, I was almost certain the entire arena was going to be evicted after the long, loud standing ovation for Henrik. But arena security was outnumbered, so, I guess they decided against it.

I'm a bit of a nutjob at games (within reason - no animals or small children are hurt in the process). Me and my cowbell cheer HARD. But here's why I don't seem to ruffle feathers....I try to befriend those around me pre-game so they're guilted into accepting my behavior. I'm already one of the family by the time my eruption of cheers is unleashed, so they just roll with it. ...

(Great article, GC...always love your stuff)

For everyone trashing the individual security staff members: you do realize that they are probably more lenient than the management wants them to be, right? If the organization thinks a situation was dealt with heavy handedly they would be censured by their managers meaning they would be more lax next time. Think about it.

Archived