The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Silence of the Fans: Southsiders vs. Canucks Security

goneforever

I notiice a big difference at Lions' games too. I sit in the end zone there and it's so loud by the fourth quarter or when the D is on the field in a close game. Crazy loud. It's quite a contrast and hard to adjust at a Canucks game...I almost feel embarrassed at times by the lack of support being shown to the guys out there on the ice. It's one thing to "watch" them, but how about cheering them on? No excuse for throwing people out who aren't clearly a threat in some way.

For everyone trashing the individual security staff members: you do realize that they are probably more lenient than the management wants them to be, right? If the organization thinks a situation was dealt with heavy handedly they would be censured by their managers meaning they would be more lax next time. Think about it.

I think you're right on this and it's like anything - one or two bad apples who, when given a position of authority, can abuse that and apply it inappropriately. Not sure what went wrong with the Southsiders.

Event staff have to be proactive when alcohol is involved, as things do tend to escalate quickly - I get that part. And the idiots in the crowd who do fight, etc. pose a threat to everyone, so a wait and see approach is fairly ineffective, as it's then too late (by the time something does happen). But I think some are a little too quick on the draw and react without first determining if that threat exists with a quick assessment of things vs an immediate reaction. if people are clearly smiling and having a good time, throwing them out doesn't seem right. If someone has complained, it doesn't mean that they're in the right...people need to exercise a little leniency when they attend sporting events and, if they don't like noise or celebration, stay home and watch on TV. :)

Archived