The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Silence of the Fans: Southsiders vs. Canucks Security

goneforever

I wrote this up for PuckBuddys after the contretemps with the Southersiders at Rogers Arena a few nights ago, and ponder: why does Canucks security have a no-fun policy in the arena? Two seasons ago Canucks also made news when they evicted two gay fans wearing "HOCKEY LUVIN HOMOS" t-shirts. Probably would not have been bothered had they not been sitting directly behind the bench in full view of TV cameras.

The Silence of the Fans

Do you like the title? Get it? :)

Seeya at the game tonight!

Very good read! Thanks for writing that up!

Rogers arena is generally pretty quiet. Don't get me wrong, there is an "atmosphere" of anticipation and tension but there isn't much cheering. I think there might be a social psychology reasoning to a quiet arena. Obviously if the fans are generally quiet then the chances of one person standing up and cheering for their team is pretty low. And even if they do do it the people around that one fan may think of him weirdly and ignore him (hence why it's so hard to start a cheer at a Canucks game). A bit of an "outcast" effect so to speak, no?

I'm a bit of a nutjob at games (within reason - no animals or small children are hurt in the process). Me and my cowbell cheer HARD. But here's why I don't seem to ruffle feathers....I try to befriend those around me pre-game so they're guilted into accepting my behavior. I'm already one of the family by the time my eruption of cheers is unleashed, so they just roll with it. They actually join in at times. I had a very conservative Asian fellow in a suit with his two young children behind me a few games ago and it was tense at first....opera claps and upright postures for all. But I high fived him at the first goal, got him singing along with some of the songs and, by the end, he was walking on the wild side with me.

So it's all about approach...if you see someone sneering, talk to them. Ask if they're bothered by your cheering and, if they are, try to get them laughing and having fun WITH you then they'll be more inclined to ignore things. But if you take an "in your face" attitude, it usually isn't readily accepted or welcomed.

Sure, you'll always have that one idiot who wants to take a nap. Or, in my case, Colorado fans behind you (me) who yell "SIT DOWN" during Lu's final, winning save in a shoot out. Really? No.

It's about compromise and meeting in the middle. Respecting those around you and trying to encourage vs argue with them. Most people have a soft side and if you work on that, it's usually more successful than simply making your stand.

I don't get being asked to sit down with no one behind you....there may be more to this. Were they spilling beer on the people in front of them? I've had that happen, and it ain't cool. Messy drinkers are not good cheerleaders, even if they think they are.

But instead of fighting to be heard I think it's a matter of convincing others that we should be. It's a hockey rink for crying out loud.

Signed,

Deb the Homer Cheerleader.

Woo.

(Great article, GC...always love your stuff)

rogers arena sucks. bad music bad fans terrible ticket and consession prices. no cup holders unless your in club seats. the concorse is to small around the consessions for how many people are in the building .. the team that plays there has never won a championship. no sence of tradition in the building ( stan smyl and other banners like 94s were taken down and replaced with ones that would match.) stan never wore blue and green ever. the loudest the building ever gets is when everyone boo's the ref but i guess thats tradition seeing is how canuck fans are famous for blaming refs for everything and consipiracy theorys we even have a statue of our beloved ex coach roger complaining about the refs outside out building.

Although I have known to get crazy at games sometimes, no liquor required. I have seen both sides of this coin and would have to say that I am glad security is there. There is the odd fan that takes it too far and it becomes quite embarrassing to even be in the stands. I am all for having fun, and believe this should be encouraged but if you are hanging over the balcony then you should be dealt with accordingly. If this was not the case then, let me further play devils advocate here as say that maybe the "No-fun" mentality of the security officers has may be something to do with this....

or this...

or this...

or this :bigblush:

Sorry just love that clip so much :emot-parrot:

rogers arena sucks. bad music bad fans terrible ticket and consession prices. no cup holders unless your in club seats. the concorse is to small around the consessions for how many people are in the building .. the team that plays there has never won a championship. no sence of tradition in the building ( stan smyl and other banners like 94s were taken down and replaced with ones that would match.) stan never wore blue and green ever. the loudest the building ever gets is when everyone boo's the ref but i guess thats tradition seeing is how canuck fans are famous for blaming refs for everything and consipiracy theorys we even have a statue of our beloved ex coach roger complaining about the refs outside out building.

Archived