61 replies to this topic

#31 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

It's gonna be hard to change, most of the people who frequent games just aren't those rowdy type of people.

On the bright side, i do know that management have been talking to the Penguins in trying to get ideas to create a better crowd atmosphere. The Pens do a great job at getting excitement in the arena such as the ''Student Rush'' where they offer discounted tickets to college and highschool students, injecting the arena with some youth, who knows maybe that will work.

That would be a great idea, especially since I'm a uni student. Maybe I could finally go to a game.

Edited by Tragoedia, 15 February 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#32 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

the best part about u not liking my post is u really have nothing to argue against but put up that stupid face palm youve contributed as much to this convo as you have to society 0

LOL ahahaha

I'm guessing you're not a Canucks fan. Listen here, our team has dealt with more trolling than the entire Western Conference (obviously minus us)+Southeast Division combined. It will take a lot more to get people upset here.
[quote name='ABurrows14' timestamp='1341714918' post='10768306']Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.[/quote]

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#33 canucklesmith

canucklesmith

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

Rogers Arena sucks. ,Bad music, bored fans, strict security, expensive food and drinks, good work Debonis on ruining what should be an awesome event.

#34 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

I wrote this up for PuckBuddys after the contretemps with the Southersiders at Rogers Arena a few nights ago, and ponder: why does Canucks security have a no-fun policy in the arena? Two seasons ago Canucks also made news when they evicted two gay fans wearing "HOCKEY LUVIN HOMOS" t-shirts. Probably would not have been bothered had they not been sitting directly behind the bench in full view of TV cameras.

The Silence of the Fans

Do you like the title? Get it? :)

Seeya at the game tonight!

Neither the hockey luvin homos nor the southsiders should have been harassed by Roger security. The Aquilinis should be embarrased that they are asking fans to be quiet. Part of being at a sporting event is to show you support to the team. If people want a calm and collected atmosphere to bring their children to, they should stay at home.

The problem with the crowd at Rogers is 75% jackhole security nazis and 25% corporate iPhone zombies.
Posted Image

#35 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

I'll bet most of the stay at home fans like myself are noisier at home than fans at the arena. Hmmm...perhaps it could be the cheaper price for beer contributing?

I've been kicked out of my house for cheering to loud.
Posted Image

#36 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

LOL ahahaha

I'm guessing you're not a Canucks fan. Listen here, our team has dealt with more trolling than the entire Western Conference (obviously minus us)+Southeast Division combined. It will take a lot more to get people upset here.

im a huge canuck fan .. its everything about rogers arena i dont like and its not just canuck games its every event in the building me and my buddies used to get ice packs every year, and half seasons and it just went down hill year after year for entertainment value to the point where we dont go to a single game anymore. its the biggest waste of money for entertainment... only people who think canuck games have good atmosphere are people who have only been to canuck games. in conclusion love the team hate the building and management.

#37 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,953 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

the best part about u not liking my post is u really have nothing to argue against but put up that stupid face palm youve contributed as much to this convo as you have to society 0

you should probably read the forum rules about flaming.
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#38 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,384 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

I've been kicked out of my house for cheering to loud.

I'm ringing my cowbell in salute to you.

(And yes, it's a rinky tink thing...so no blown eardrums on my account) ;)

Posted Image

#39 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,953 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

im a huge canuck fan .. its everything about rogers arena i dont like and its not just canuck games its every event in the building me and my buddies used to get ice packs every year, and half seasons and it just went down hill year after year for entertainment value to the point where we dont go to a single game anymore. its the biggest waste of money for entertainment... only people who think canuck games have good atmosphere are people who have only been to canuck games. in conclusion love the team hate the building and management.

Funny cause i went to game 7 of the chicago series and game 1 against boston and they were singlehandedly the 2 most emotionally powerful crowds ive ever been a part of,hockey /concert/football and all
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#40 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

Nice article GC, as usual!

I'm a bit of a nutjob at games (within reason - no animals or small children are hurt in the process). Me and my cowbell cheer HARD. But here's why I don't seem to ruffle feathers....I try to befriend those around me pre-game so they're guilted into accepting my behavior. I'm already one of the family by the time my eruption of cheers is unleashed, so they just roll with it. They actually join in at times. I had a very conservative Asian fellow in a suit with his two young children behind me a few games ago and it was tense at first....opera claps and upright postures for all. But I high fived him at the first goal, got him singing along with some of the songs and, by the end, he was walking on the wild side with me.

So it's all about approach...if you see someone sneering, talk to them. Ask if they're bothered by your cheering and, if they are, try to get them laughing and having fun WITH you then they'll be more inclined to ignore things. But if you take an "in your face" attitude, it usually isn't readily accepted or welcomed.

Sure, you'll always have that one idiot who wants to take a nap. Or, in my case, Colorado fans behind you (me) who yell "SIT DOWN" during Lu's final, winning save in a shoot out. Really? No.

It's about compromise and meeting in the middle. Respecting those around you and trying to encourage vs argue with them. Most people have a soft side and if you work on that, it's usually more successful than simply making your stand.

I don't get being asked to sit down with no one behind you....there may be more to this. Were they spilling beer on the people in front of them? I've had that happen, and it ain't cool. Messy drinkers are not good cheerleaders, even if they think they are.

But instead of fighting to be heard I think it's a matter of convincing others that we should be. It's a hockey rink for crying out loud.

Signed,
Deb the Homer Cheerleader.
Woo.

(Great article, GC...always love your stuff)

Haha, you go Deb, you show 'em.

Yeah, having cheered in the Southside for years and also having been to lots of Canucks games over the years, I never understand why security kicks people out for cheering and enthusiasm.

There has been research done about the Whitecaps, and statistically, the Whitecaps score more goals when attacking in the South end, and also give up fewer goals when defending in the South end. People who don't think the players get energy and a mental boost from their fans just don't understand. As an athlete, I remember playing in some big games with a lot of fans cheering. It pumps you up, and gives you just that extra little juice to hit harder, run/skate faster, just do things at a higher level of intensity.

The way the Whitecaps like to think of it, is that BC Place (Bell Pitch) is like a fortress. You come into our home, we're not going to make it easy for you. It doesn't need to be profane or vulgar (we've been phasing out some of the more offensive songs, like the "your goalie is a pedophile" song, lol), but loud and unified.

It just takes time. The Southeast corner of the stadium has slowly joined in to a lot of the easier and simpler cheers and slowly the cheering section is creeping down the East side. They join right in when the Southsiders do the "East Side, on your feet, said East Side on your feet, hey, hey!", and it's pretty cool. That gets more or less the entire Southeast part of the stadium on their feet and cheering and clapping, which then transitions into the "clap, clap, Whitecaps" cheer.

I don't know, I don't think that level of fan interaction and unified cheering has ever been or will ever be a thing for hockey in North America, but at least the building could be loud. Just look at places like the United Center (Chicago). That place is LOUD and intimidating to play in. In Nashville (non-traditional hockey market with an internal fixed cap) the fans stand for crying out loud. And we're supposed to be a hockey-crazed Canadian market?

Sure doesn't seem that way sometimes.

RIP LB RR PD

#41 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Yeah security is pretty bad, I remember one game there was a little kid sitting behind me with a cowbell and an airhorn it was so damn annoying, but I still didn't say anything because I expected to hear that at an NHL game. People who complain about loud noises and stuff need to stay home.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#42 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Whitecaps atmosphere > Canucks atmosphere

Got my whitecap season tickets yesterday and can't be happier, I don't even go to single Canuck games anymore because they just aren't fun anymore to be there. Last time I went there I was cheering when they weren't playing well and someone told me to quiet so I haven't been back in like 3 years.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#43 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

Very good read! Thanks for writing that up!

Rogers arena is generally pretty quiet. Don't get me wrong, there is an "atmosphere" of anticipation and tension but there isn't much cheering. I think there might be a social psychology reasoning to a quiet arena. Obviously if the fans are generally quiet then the chances of one person standing up and cheering for their team is pretty low. And even if they do do it the people around that one fan may think of him weirdly and ignore him (hence why it's so hard to start a cheer at a Canucks game). A bit of an "outcast" effect so to speak, no?

The problem is the players one the ice being paid millions of dollars don't like silence.. hence Bieksa statement last year about the crowd is not cheering loud enough ,when responding to losing at home or something.. ?

honestly if that is the way they want the fans to act then Vancouver really needs to rethink there ticket prices or who they let buy season tickets. all these non fans are ruining it for everyone because they want to look good. look at any of the other teams they all try to be the loudest fans in the league and the canucks ownership is trying to make it more like curling or golf........ wake up fans need to be fans.
if my local WHL team did this and i was not able to be a crazy fan at the games i would never buy a ticket again.

Edited by surtur, 15 February 2013 - 06:18 PM.

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#44 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Although I absolutely agree with what you say, you have to understand that having 'HOCKEY LUVIN HOMOS' written publicly on your shirt by gay guys is no different than having 'HOCKEY LUVIN N***ERS' written on the shirts of two black guys. They would probably get thrown out or asked to take them off as well.

Nobody likes the no-fun police but that is kind of the norm for our society in regards to profanities.

2dgqi51.jpgfcvifc.jpg
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 and Discord for the signatures.

#45 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

Although I absolutely agree with what you say, you have to understand that having 'HOCKEY LUVIN HOMOS' written publicly on your shirt by gay guys is no different than having 'HOCKEY LUVIN N***ERS' written on the shirts of two black guys. They would probably get thrown out or asked to take them off as well.

Nobody likes the no-fun police but that is kind of the norm for our society in regards to profanities.

The way i see it is if the Forum filter allows the word it can't be that bad.. Homo sets of no alarms.
Honestly for a team that has members that walk in the gay pride parades and a team that supposedly supports "if you can play you can play" the ownership group don't really show it.
I am not gay but i would never get upset if i seen someone wore a shirt that said they are homo's that love hockey.

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#46 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,129 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Great article.

The Southsiders should go back all dressed in identical suits with shades on. Then they should then watch the game silently all night and only lightly clap lightly like they're some pompous rich knobs at opportune moments.

Edited by Dogbyte, 15 February 2013 - 07:03 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#47 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,406 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

The problem is the players one the ice being paid millions of dollars don't like silence.. hence Bieksa statement last year about the crowd is not cheering loud enough ,when responding to losing at home or something.. ?

honestly if that is the way they want the fans to act then Vancouver really needs to rethink there ticket prices or who they let buy season tickets. all these non fans are ruining it for everyone because they want to look good. look at any of the other teams they all try to be the loudest fans in the league and the canucks ownership is trying to make it more like curling or golf........ wake up fans need to be fans.
if my local WHL team did this and i was not able to be a crazy fan at the games i would never buy a ticket again.

Although I do believe that the astronomically high prices don't allow the average fan to catch a game, lowering them won't make a difference. There's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many scalpers looking for a quick buck, and a high demand of tickets will naturally drive those prices up (on the open resale market). Remember that charity game at UBC where tickets were $20 each? I clearly remember people selling them for $100+ in the open market. Point is, lowering ticket prices won't necessarily allow more hardcore fans into games; rather, it will simply increase the profits of scalpers (damn scalpers).

Who they let buy season tickets, now that's an idea, but it'll be too hard to regulate.

Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

#48 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,406 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Great article.

The Southsiders should go back all dressed in identical suits with shades on. Then they should then watch the game silently all night and only lightly clap lightly like they're some pompous rich knobs at opportune moments.

LIKE OBSERVERS !!!!!

(yeah, I noticed your avatar)

Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

#49 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

It really sucks, because those guys have the right idea and have worked wonders with Whitecap games.

I also get confused when people claim they don't cheer or stand because they want to concentrate on the game. Can you not do both? Or is that too much for your brain to handle? I mean, Rogers Arena doesn't even need chants or songs in the crowd. It just needs a bit of noise to encourage the team. Sadly, that doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon.

That is how you cheer for your team. You don't have to sing, just make some noise. At least try to encourage the team to win. The crowd can make a huge difference.

#50 tottenhamninja

tottenhamninja

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Oh man, hats off to the southsiders. I can't wait until Ottawa gets a pro soccer team and join a firm. It's so much fun to get amped up for a game and its a good time. Keep it within reason. I wasn't there but surely these lads were not physically harming anyone. Let em be as loud as they want. Maybe we'd have a Winnipeg type atmosphere. I'm watching the weenerpeg Pittsburg match and their fans are nuts. Everyone is cheering.

It's all ticket prices and corporate seating.

This really grinds my gears. Yes, 2008 called, they want their reference back. But it's true.

Either way. Can't wait for the game tonight. Wife and daughter sleeping I get to be excited and cheer!

No security will stop me haha

Edited by tottenham_ninja, 15 February 2013 - 07:20 PM.

hi, my name is daniel, and i wear comfy pants.

#51 tottenhamninja

tottenhamninja

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

Anyone happen to catch the Madrid united CL cup tie? That is a match atmosphere. Respectful and loud as... Something loud.
hi, my name is daniel, and i wear comfy pants.

#52 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,384 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

Whitecaps atmosphere > Canucks atmosphere

Got my whitecap season tickets yesterday and can't be happier, I don't even go to single Canuck games anymore because they just aren't fun anymore to be there. Last time I went there I was cheering when they weren't playing well and someone told me to quiet so I haven't been back in like 3 years.

I notiice a big difference at Lions' games too. I sit in the end zone there and it's so loud by the fourth quarter or when the D is on the field in a close game. Crazy loud. It's quite a contrast and hard to adjust at a Canucks game...I almost feel embarrassed at times by the lack of support being shown to the guys out there on the ice. It's one thing to "watch" them, but how about cheering them on? No excuse for throwing people out who aren't clearly a threat in some way.

Posted Image

#53 Christophe

Christophe

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Ridiculous beer prices, with ridiculous no-fun rules due to over controlling power hungry security = quiet crowd and terrible atmosphere.

Maybe if they let Canuck fans release their emotion in the stadium, they wouldn't riot in the streets.

This is a shout out to Canuck security, you guys suck.

#54 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Just wait until we have a hard time filling the arena and then see what they do to make it a "fun place to be."
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#55 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

Ridiculous beer prices, with ridiculous no-fun rules due to over controlling power hungry security = quiet crowd and terrible atmosphere.

Maybe if they let Canuck fans release their emotion in the stadium, they wouldn't riot in the streets.

Hang on a second; I thought those rioters in Canucks jerseys weren't actually fans but were anarchists and criminals flown in from Phoenix and Toronto.

#56 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:21 AM

I thought the beer prices were high at Rogers Arena/GM Place, until I actually lived in Vancouver and realized that the beer prices are actually high...in Vancouver! (just like everyone else, as it turns out, but that's another story). It's cause people in Vancouver are on average wealthy and so they know we will pay more for stuff on average, allowing them to charge more and still hit sales targets, marketing 101.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#57 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

+1 to you sir.
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#58 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:09 PM

If we need fans to be drunk out of thierskulls to produce an "atmosphere" then I would rather what we have. You should NEVER have a problem bringing your kids to a game and drunk belligrant fans ruin that for families.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#59 goneforever

goneforever

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for the kudos! At the game last night, I was almost certain the entire arena was going to be evicted after the long, loud standing ovation for Henrik. But arena security was outnumbered, so, I guess they decided against it.

I'm a bit of a nutjob at games (within reason - no animals or small children are hurt in the process). Me and my cowbell cheer HARD. But here's why I don't seem to ruffle feathers....I try to befriend those around me pre-game so they're guilted into accepting my behavior. I'm already one of the family by the time my eruption of cheers is unleashed, so they just roll with it. ...

(Great article, GC...always love your stuff)

Thank you, Deb! Sounds like you're a lot of fun at games, and you found a great strategy for endearing those around you right before you let lose. :) I would probably just glare back at them.

Not at all. While "homo" has been used in a derogatory way, just like the word "gay" has become an alternate word for some who actually mean "don't like" or "stupid," it's not actually a slur like some other words that begin with F or N. Homo, an abbreviation for homosexual, is no worse than Hetero, an abbreviation for heterosexual. But, I can understand how the flamboyant fans made Canucks staff nervous about possibly offensive words appearing on TV right behind Vigneault. While some gay people might have found it offensive, I thought it was hilarious. Then again, I loved the "Men on Film/Football/Books/etc." skits that In Living Color did years ago.

#60 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 13,132 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

For everyone trashing the individual security staff members: you do realize that they are probably more lenient than the management wants them to be, right? If the organization thinks a situation was dealt with heavy handedly they would be censured by their managers meaning they would be more lax next time. Think about it.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.