21 replies to this topic

#1 Franz Liszt

Franz Liszt

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

This roster will work due to the salary that Booth and Kesler ate while on IR. Plus when Manny gets placed on LTIR, we'll have an extra $2.5 million in extra salary room, giving is a total of around $3.8-4 million (depending when Booth comes back) in extra cap room.

To Phoenix: Bill Sweatt + VAN 2013 5th
To Vancouver: Raffi Torres & Kyle Chipchura

Torres = Sweatt
Chipchura = 5th
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To Colorado: Andrew Ebbett + 2013 2nd
To Vancouver: Ryan O'Byrne & Chuck Kobasew

Kobasew = Ebbett
O'Byrne = 2nd

For the stretch after the deadline, I feel giving the young guys in Tanev, Schroeder and Kassian a couple nights off and even sending them to the Wolves for a couple weeks would benefit the longevity, health and fatigue factor heading into the playoffs. Then right before the playoffs, we can re-call all 3 of them to maximize our depth.

RAFFI TORRES: Big hitter, can fight, forechecks well with some offensive touch. He is 6'0 225
KYLE CHIPCHURA: Hits a lot, will fight, is a center we need with Manny out. He is 6'2 208
CHUCK KOBASEW: Hard hitter with some offensive capabilities, plays very hard. He is 6'0 195
RYAN O'BYRNE: Loves to hit, is solid defensively, not slow, but not super fast either. He is 6'5 234

Here's my roster without the young guns:

Sedin Sedin Burrows - Chemistry
Higgins Kesler Booth - Have proven they can play together and well too
Raymond Lapierre Hansen - Speedy checking line with skill
Torres Chipchura Kobasew - Hard hitting, above average defensive checking line with toughness
Weise/Volpatti

Hamhuis Edler - They are playing well together
Garrison Bieksa - Same as the Hamhuis/Edler pairing, they're playing surprisingly well together
Ballard O'Byrne - Puck mover with a solid defensive guy who is scary could turn out great
Alberts

Luongo & Schneider

If you think any of the proposal is off, state how you think it should be edited.

Edited by R.A. Dickey, 15 February 2013 - 05:05 PM.

120px-Liszt_sign.JPG

#2 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

no chance KAssasin will return to the wolves, .....this will hurt his development Kassasin could play on the fourth line and don't need to be replace but someone esle

Edited by canuck_trevor16, 15 February 2013 - 05:07 PM.

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#3 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

I'd love to see Torres back. Emphasis on love.

But with all the defensive injuries in COL, I doubt they deal O'Byrne.

And Schroeder, Tanev, Kassian are here to stay.

Edited by MaximYapierre, 15 February 2013 - 05:06 PM.

/=S=/

#4 Franz Liszt

Franz Liszt

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

no chance KAssasin will return to the wolves, .....this will hurt his development Kassasin could play on the fourth line and don't need to be replace but someone esle

I think I get what your saying, but I really don't.

Don't get me wrong about Kassian, Schroeder and Tanev. I believe they are regulars for us now, but down the stretch where the games get closer together PLUS playoffs, having them play in the AHL for 2-3 weeks could keep a little bit of their longevity for the playoffs.

It's either they sit as healthy scratches for occasional games or they can keep up to game speed for a couple weeks of AHL action.

120px-Liszt_sign.JPG

#5 lee goren rulez69

lee goren rulez69

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

i'd love torres back for a playoff run but o'byrne and kobasew are complete plugs that bring nothing to the table and o'byrne sure as hell would not take tanev's spot in the lineup.

I think I get what your saying, but I really don't.

Don't get me wrong about Kassian, Schroeder and Tanev. I believe they are regulars for us now, but down the stretch where the games get closer together PLUS playoffs, having them play in the AHL for 2-3 weeks could keep a little bit of their longevity for the playoffs.

It's either they sit as healthy scratches for occasional games or they can keep up to game speed for a couple weeks of AHL action.

this makes no sense at all. why would you send down kassian, tanev and schroeder when they are better players than the guys you trade for?

#6 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,256 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Don't get O'Byrne and don't get Torres. Do the other 2 deal though. I like the Chipchura pickup especially.

Tanev, and Kassian are here to stay, they are key parts of the team. And if Schroeder continues to play like this he might also fall under that category aswell.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 15 February 2013 - 05:20 PM.

zackass.png

#7 Franz Liszt

Franz Liszt

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Ah, after looking over it, I feel keeping Schroeder, Tanev and Kassian up here would be best now.

Having the other 4 guys however, would help maximize the depth, so I'm still going to stick with my proposal and hope they can halpe the depth at least.

120px-Liszt_sign.JPG

#8 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

I really like the Phx deal, and the Col deal is alright. If we could only do one I'd love Torres.Chip

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Raymond-Schroeder-Kassian
Torres-Lapierre-Hansen
Chipchurra

The fact that line up has our 4th line as our 2011 SCF 3rd line shows how deep it is..
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#9 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

I really like the Phx deal, and the Col deal is alright. If we could only do one I'd love Torres.Chip

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Torres-Lapierre-Hansen
Chipchurra

The fact that line up has our 4th line as our 2011 SCF 3rd line shows how deep it is..

That's a forward line to be reckoned with. Wow. Not to mention all the depth.

/=S=/

#10 Franz Liszt

Franz Liszt

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Higgins
Torres-Lapierre-Hansen
Chipchurra

Yeah, even I'm thinking of maybe just the one deal happening, but I ran two trades by you guys, for the sake of depth. But pointing out that just the Phoenix deal may pan all the depth we need.

120px-Liszt_sign.JPG

#11 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Probably Not A Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

In no way does sweatt = torres.

Phoenix says no, definitively.
Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#12 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

That's a forward line to be reckoned with. Wow. Not to mention all the depth.

That lineup makes me wish that the NHL played international rules allowing for a 13th forward. They really should initiate that rule, I mean it is an additional 60 jobs if they add a 7th defense man as well.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#13 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

I'd love me some Torres. Kassian and Torres would make teams think twice about messing with the Sedins.

#14 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

I'd love me some Torres. Kassian and Torres would make teams think twice about messing with the Sedins.

Not to mention, throw Lapierre in the middle of those two guys and he could say WHATEVER he wanted to the opponent.
-Edgar Allen Poe

#15 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

I like Torres and I like Chipchura. Either/or would be all we really need.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#16 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

A Colorado proposal that doesn't involve O'Reilly? :shock:
Posted Image

#17 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,324 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

This roster will work due to the salary that Booth and Kesler ate while on IR. Plus when Manny gets placed on LTIR, we'll have an extra $2.5 million in extra salary room, giving is a total of around $3.8-4 million (depending when Booth comes back) in extra cap room.

Let me stop you right there.
  • IR does not have anything to do with cap.
  • Booth and Kesler have only ever been on IR and not LTI, so we get no cap relief from them as their cap hits have been counting against the team's cap this whole time.
  • Manny is currently on IR and could possibly be used for LTI cap relief later, but it's unlikely as it would mean we're getting back more salary than we already have and we'd be worse off when the cap goes down next year.
Considering that, do you want to add up how much that roster would cost us for the cap and see if it's compliant? Remember, we had only $840K in cap space before Manny being put on IR. That means we still do only have that much space, but if we try and use LTI for him the max relief over the cap we'd get is $1.66M ($2.5M - $840K).

Then there's the issue of us moving only two contracts out while getting four back. If we're already close to the 50 contract limit (and I think we might be at 49 if not 50 already) then we wouldn't be able to take on two more contracts. All these things are issue you have to think of when proposing deals.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#18 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

ya why didnt booth and kesler go on long term ir? I dont get why we wouldnt have wanted some more cap relief? and malhotra isnt on it yet either

#19 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

The Avs defense is terrible, I don't want any of them.
Posted Image

#20 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,324 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

ya why didnt booth and kesler go on long term ir? I dont get why we wouldnt have wanted some more cap relief? and malhotra isnt on it yet either

We can't even use LTI if we're still under the cap since it's not that it removes that player's cap hit, but that we're allowed to go over the cap to replace them (within limits of the injured player's contract less the cap space we had before). We've had Kesler, Booth and Malhotra (plus the replacements in Schroeder and Ebbett) counting against our cap the whole time and still been under by about $840K.

Even if we could use it while under the cap, we can't bank LTI for use later on, so there's even less reason to put them on it.

Edited by elvis15, 19 February 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#21 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

didnt we shut ballard down till playoffs one year to dance around the cap and acquire lapierre and higgins? or was it when we got pahlsson?

#22 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,324 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

didnt we shut ballard down till playoffs one year to dance around the cap and acquire lapierre and higgins? or was it when we got pahlsson?

Ballard was actually injured, it wasn't anything to do with circumventing the cap. It was a concussion if I remember correctly.

We did use LTI for him though to get a small amount of relief over the cap (about $660K according to CapGeek).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.