#1 BingoBangoBongo1

BingoBangoBongo1

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

POPULAR

It seems that CDC community has been rumbling ever since several Southsiders were kicked out of Rogers Arena last Tuesday. I was at the game and had the joy of sitting one row in front of them. IT WAS A BLAST! They really energized our portion of the stadium and made it an atmosphere you'd expect to see at a hockey game. It felt great knowing I wasn't the only yahoo screaming his heart out for our boys!

But let's face it: It's embarrassing when fans from other cities come to Rogers and wonder where all the fans are! We have some of the greatest and most passionate fans in the world, and yet in between goals it feels like a funeral is passing. It's time we made a difference.

My proposal: LET'S START A CANUCKS SUPPORTERS SECTION!

On CDC, let's form a supporters group à la the Southsiders, with set cheers, chants, songs, etc. We'll buy blocks of tickets and whoever can go (or afford to go - yeah, I know) will go and make sure the opponents know that THIS IS VANCOUVER! Hopefully it will turn into something that will infect the arena (as several posters have implied in other threads).

And the Canucks are on our side! Why? Well, along with Bieksa's famous statement that the arena isn't loud enough, here's an excerpt from an article published by the Sun a few days ago:

De Bonis said the Canucks would be open to creating a special section for fans who wish to stand during games. But the logistics of creating such a space, given the large number of season-ticket holders, make it difficult.

"We have been trying to figure out a way to accommodate something like that because I think it would be really good,” he said. "But people would have to relocate … there are for sure fans at the game who want to be in a more fan-centric section. It's just that people have had their seats for a long time and they like sitting there. It's one of those things where you have to make it a win-win for everybody and we haven't been able to do that yet."

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz2L1eYmLsK

The idea is in their head. The keyword is "yet." The players want it too. So let's show Canucks management that we the fans want an in-game atmosphere that matches passion and skill of our team!

Thoughts? Proposals? Can we get this thing rolling?

GO CANUCKS GO!

#2 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

It's a good idea that makes sense. Everyone who wants to chant and cheer for the team can do so without bothering the fans who don't want to for whatever reason.

#3 tottenhamninja

tottenhamninja

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

LETS GO CANUCKS LETS GO!
hi, my name is daniel, and i wear comfy pants.

#4 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Grab me some tickets and I'm in
Posted Image

#5 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

If I had money for tickets I totally would do that!

61c1f524-b05e-4da1-b54d-e7ac1d87c904.jpg

#6 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

POPULAR

When the crowd was cheering and applauding for like.. 5 minutes tonight, for Henrik, all I could think was "This is what the game should sound like ALL the time"

#7 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,504 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

I'm in.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#8 21forever

21forever

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

I am all for this idea - Rogers Arena is way too quiet, and it's time we start creating a fun environment like Montreal, Nashville, or Detroit.

Posted Image Posted Image

OUR MEN IN BLUE

#9 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

When the crowd was cheering and applauding for like.. 5 minutes tonight, for Henrik, all I could think was "This is what the game should sound like ALL the time"

How did you feel after the commercial break? Lol
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#10 CanucksAtmosphere

CanucksAtmosphere

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

Just to throw my 2 cents in: I think this is a fantastic idea. The key thing that has prevented something like this from happening before is that there hasn't been a concerted effort by a like-minded group to buy tickets in blocks - however, if something like this can be organized on CDC (eg. buying tickets in blocks), then this could definitely happen.

This approach is not without precedence - like many supporters groups, this is something that could grow organically, starting bottom-up from a group of like-minded fans who buy tickets in blocks and bring atmosphere into the game. I encourage you to look at the Timbers Army in Portland for some inspiration and direction, as they had grown from very similar roots (very organic and bottom-up - they started with only 8 people) into one of the most successful and largest groups in North America (with close to 3,000 members now).

Edited by CanucksAtmosphere, 16 February 2013 - 12:12 AM.

#11 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:13 AM

Im in. What do we have to do? I've been thinking about this alot lately and would love to help if given the opportunity.
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#12 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

I like this idea.

I'm in.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#13 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

I've also had the wonderful of sitting in the south side during a whitecaps game. I have to say it was one of the best sporting events I ever went to. It would be amazing if this got organized, good luck! (I have no money and am to young to be spending it on hockey tickets that regularly)

#14 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,319 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

I really hope this works out!!! Id love to see new energy injected into that building!

#15 vv2

vv2

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

Do it
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#16 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

Yes excellent idea!

If people with phones could set up via text or maybe even just a thread here on CDC saying when to chant and what to chant, then even people not in the same section could join in and help the spread. It would also be useful to know the general area for this group to take place in well in advance. I usually have tickets in hand a month+ before each game and I am sure others are the same.

#17 MyNameIsTom

MyNameIsTom

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

Why on earth would people spend money to see the Canucks live and NOT cheer and holler and show support? If you want a quiet environment watch the game from your couch. Sports arenas are supposed to be LOUD!!! Make the whole arena a "fan section"! In football and soccer the crowd is often called the 12th man due to the advantage of the volume of the home crowd. This is a sports team, not a church service or movie theater. GO CANUCKS GO!

#18 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

Would love for this to happen.

Luckily for the Whitecaps, the Southsiders already existed before they moved into their stadium, so setting up shop was easy as the supporter's group had already been established and those of us who wanted to be there knew where to buy our season's tickets.

Definitely will be challenging due to logistics and of course the price of Canucks tickets, but I would really like for this to happen.

RIP LB RR PD

#19 CanucksAtmosphere

CanucksAtmosphere

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

For this to happen, a group needs to be formed and organized. Similar to the Timbers Army or Southsiders, this group would need people who are in leadership positions in order to coordinate - this won't work without someone who is leading and coordinating this.

This group would need to buy tickets in blocks. Would this group buy tickets for every game? That might not be feasible... for now. But a good start would be to select certain home games with a lower price point and more tickets available.

As for where the group would be located, we could see that blocking peoples' views was an issue when the Southsiders came to RA. As that must not be an issue to avoid disputes between this new group and the Canucks front office, this group would have to buy their blocks of tickets in the very back rows of Sections 301/330. The other option for now would be the Standing Room Only (Sections 418-419, Row SRO, with 18 tickets available) - although not ideal if this group grows, it would be OK for the beginning since tickets in Sections 301/330 are sparse.

#20 Miller32

Miller32

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

If I was rich enough for some Canucks tickets than I'd be in. I've become accustomed to watching from home though! No opposing team fans, cheap beer, no security and my friends and I can be as loud and rowdy as we'd like :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Absolutely not.

What's with the people that think people should be standing cheering 24/7 as loud as they can for 2 and a half hours straight during the regular season. It's the regular season, these games don't mean nothing. If you're gonna make the argument that we need the points, well then i don't even know... We're going to make the playoffs regardless, that's all that matters.

Posted Image

#22 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

If you can find enough people that want to stand for three straight hours to fill a section, well done.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#23 MyNameIsTom

MyNameIsTom

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Absolutely not.

What's with the people that think people should be standing cheering 24/7 as loud as they can for 2 and a half hours straight during the regular season. It's the regular season, these games don't mean nothing. If you're gonna make the argument that we need the points, well then i don't even know... We're going to make the playoffs regardless, that's all that matters.

Dude. Watch an Atlanta Falcons home game or an old Denver Broncos game when they still played at Mile High. The fans are crazy, and those stadiums have (had, in Mile High's case) reputations of being incredibly loud and very hard to win in for the visiting teams. That is largely the fans. And yes, a typical NFL game has triple, sometimes quadruple the attendance of an NHL game, but still.

No one here is saying that EVERY fan should yell at the top of their lungs and stand for the WHOLE game, but if the crowd is quiet for like 90% of the game, it doesn't create that intimidating atmosphere that other arenas have.

I've only been to one NHL game (Canucks vs. Avs in Denver) and the home crowd was on their feet and cheering and yelling every time an Avs player was making a rush for the net, and were still pretty loud when the puck was in the Canucks' zone. It was a fun environment to be in, even in my Hank jersey! It was loud and noisy and there was a lot of standing when big plays happened, and that's how sporting events should be.

I was the only Canucks fan in the section I was in and every time the Canucks made a rush or had a good scoring chance I was on my feet and cheering loudly (not obnoxiously, though), as were all the Avs fans when their team was doing the same. It was fun. If I wanted peace and quiet and to sit the whole game, I have a comfy couch with an HD tv at home.

#24 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

Its a shame that in the article quoted in the OP DeBonis mentions the Season Ticket Holders and how the team is against moving anyone. Disappointing that a team with as many consecutive sell outs and such a long STH waitlist as the Canucks would be concerned about losing the support of a few fans. Those fans can easily be replaced, there are people waiting for those tickets, and those fans are currently blocking the atmosphere from growing at the arena. So you either care about having the best possible organization, or you only care about being loyal to the fans who were there first, a terrible and elitist mentality. This is Vancouver's team, not the personal play toy of a select group of people, and it should be run as a business, rather than as a personal club.

From a business perspective, you always need to play to your strengths. In terms of demand for tickets, the Canucks have a surplus, these surplus fans who want tickets but are not able to get them could be leveraged into a better atmosphere in the building, all while still maintaining the sell outs, and therefore, the related revenues. So they nothing to lose and everything to gain. It seems the Canucks organization is more concerned about keeping a privileged group of their fans happy than running their business to optimal potential.

From a hockey standpoint, a louder crowd is obviously a plus, and I don't need to argue that point as its a given.

A Fan Section is a fantastic idea and I would support it 100%, I have enough money to go to 3-4 games per season, and would love to go and cheer my lungs out with fellow like-minded fans.
Posted Image

#25 Tits J. McGee

Tits J. McGee

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Are there season ticket seats in the upper bowl in the nosebleeds?

If not, put a fan section there. Most of the fans that would want to be in there probably wouldn't pay hundreds of bucks for lower bowl tickets anyways. Wouldn't block sight lines, in the back. Label all tickets, ticketmaster stuff, and area with Fan Section - Standing, and voila, you get an infectious cheering section that will spread noise throughout the arena.
All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy. All Work And No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy.

#26 BingoBangoBongo1

BingoBangoBongo1

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Thanks everyone for the positive responses!

It seems that we have preliminary support necessary to pull this off, as most people are receptive to the idea.

A quick note to the detractors: I understand that not EVERYONE will want to scream and chant during the game (why is beyond me, but for a different thread). That said, having at least a small group of passionate fans can do wonders in terms of rallying both the fans and the team. You don't appreciate the atmosphere until you've experienced it, whether you participate or not. I'm a diehard Indiana Pacers fan as well, and they have a section called Area 55 for 55 of the craziest fans in the stadium. Their effect on the stadium experience cannot be understated.

The main issue it seems is tickets, both pricing and availability. First, I believe the goal of this group should be to HAVE a group of supporters go to each game, not each fan going to each game (I know I can't afford that either). I agree with previous posters that we should start small, but this should be the ideal standard. Second, we should start off by buying group tickets. I am currently a registered Canucks group ticket leader. This gives me the opportunity to buy blocks of 20+ to most games ahead of the general public. That would be a fantastic route to get this idea off the ground. Kassian's Face idea of spreading chants throughout the stadium is also a fantastic idea for spreading our message around.

Anyways, would people be interested in meeting up, watching a Canucks game, and then possibly hashing out a strategy (most feasibly for next season, although postseason isn't out of the question). If the Timbers Army can start off with only 8, we definitely have what it takes to make a difference. COME ON VANCOUVER!

#27 goneforever

goneforever

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

I think it's a great idea. If Rogers Arena could set up an area for standing/cheering fans, like they do at concerts, that might avoid some of the problems with sight-lines and noise that some people would prefer to avoid. Even better would be to create a "Library Room" section that is sound-proof, glassed-in, and has an old cranky guard that shushes people who start talking above a whisper.

#28 Vanbusguy

Vanbusguy

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Hey Bingo Bango

Just sent you a PM.

You will understand why I can't go public yet.

#29 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,274 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Aint nobody got money fo dat!
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.