The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This Team Needs A Greybeard for the Playoffs

DownUndaCanuck

What the team really needs is players who can step up their play in the post-season. Contrary to the whole "formula" thing proposed by Don Cherry, success comes through having a couple of clutch top offensive players who thrive in the heat of the moment plus a depth guy or two, who play bigger than they are and are able to get the job done in higher stakes, along with a goalie who gets hot at the right time.

I think if somehow the team could get Bergenheim (17 points in 23 playoff games) and Marcel Goc as part of any potential deal for Lu they could really be set for the playoffs. Sean Bergenheim, while somewhat small, really steps up his play. I also came across an article on advanced stats that really praises his ability to drive play from the defensive end of the ice against high levels of competition (http://thehockeywrit...goc-underrated/); it's really this kind of ability to drive opponents back and shut them down when it counts, plus the timely goal, that really gets the job done.

Although I don't really believe/agree with this point, there are some veterans that I wouldn't mind seeing the Canucks pick up if possible...

Vinny Prospal.. Ryan Smyth.. Daniel Alfredsson.. Brenden Morrow.. Teemu Selanne/Saku Koivu.. Mike Knuble...

All depends who is where and what is going on on April 3rd.

Adding experience for the sake of making the team is better is good. Adding experience for adding experience and not NECESSARILY making the team better would be foolish and wasteful.

Archived