The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Garrison and Bieska

Ballisticsports.

Pairings for next game:

Ballard - Tanev

Hamhuis - Edler

Garrison - Barker

Vintage brought up a great point, perhaps we should Scratch Bieksa so give him a wakeup call. His been laughable.

At this point I would rate them:

1. Ballard

2. Tanev

3. Hamhuis

4. Edler

5. Garrison

6. Bieksa

Edler has been very inconsistent to the point (although he's shown some great offense) and to which he's now playing with Hamhuis or is that because Beiska (a true leader) is helping Garrison conform to a new system? I don't know which it is but....

Ballard and Tanev have looked good to me especially tonight in a losing cause (great passing between these this pairing), I think they're very deserving of their minutes.

It's very positive that we have maybe the best top 6 d-man in the entire league for a single team.

It's different than the forwards because you can't simply give the highest price goes smaller roles. You need them at their highest level, and it's okay if they struggle now because it's the regular season. If it's half way through the season, you start making changes, if they still look like that with a quarter of a season left, then you have a problem.

There's a lot of guys playing on the wrong sides.

Kevin Bieksa being the same old Bieksa. I'm sure he'll tidy up his game just before the playoffs. Same with Edler, though still adjusting to new pairs, along with Garrison and also coming back from injury. They'll all be asked to tighten it up in the playoffs, so they'll look better defensively when the time comes.

The only real concern is Garrison's speed. Maybe he can learn because Bieksa isn't that fast either.

Pairings for next game:

Ballard - Tanev

Hamhuis - Edler

Garrison - Barker

Vintage brought up a great point, perhaps we should Scratch Bieksa so give him a wakeup call. His been laughable.

1. Ballard

2. Tanev

3. Hamhuis

4. Edler

5. Garrison

6. Bieksa

Edler 9 pts -1

Hamhuis 7 pts -1 (only player with a worse +/- is Malhotra)

Bieksa 4 pts +6

Garrison 3 pts +4

Bieksa is the laughable one? You'll have to explain how the two with the most points are a minus while the two that play the oppositions best are a plus to justify saying Bieksa is laughable..He leads the D in hits and is second in blocked shots. Although Ballard has never looked better in a Canucks uniform, he and Tanev typically draw the easiest assignments in line matching.

Pairings for next game:

Ballard - Tanev

Hamhuis - Edler

Garrison - Barker

1. Ballard

2. Tanev

3. Hamhuis

4. Edler

5. Garrison

6. Bieksa

I don't think Bieksa looks any different then he ever does? He's a bit of a high risk/high reward dman which suits our system pretty well.

Garrison is a bit under-whelming (offense very under-whelming) but he has stabilized and doesn't look completely lost like he did in the early games

Edler is great some games, lost others (he looked lost vs Dallas) he's a bit of an enigma.

I think the core misses Salo more then we like to admit as he seemed to stabilize a pairing like Hamhuis does now. I don't think we need to panic, but we are definitely going to have those 'oh god' games with our group.

Edler is too damned inconsistent. He can be good defensively one night and play absolute garbage on the offensive side, with horrible pinches and fumbles on the blueline, and shots that ring around the whole rink after missing the net completely...

Other nights, he MIGHT put up a point, but cost us 1 or 2.

Then there's the horrible, nauseating, INFURIATING drop passes.

Bieksa is consistently impossible to predict, even for his partner. WTF is he thinking with some of his stupid passes? Is he bored out there? Or just stupid? I think Vernon Fiddler describes him best.

Garrison is a complete joke. J-Bo 2.0.

I've said it all along - Edler was playing great, until the team kind of pushed him to become more offensive and tried to get him to have him replace Ehrhoff in terms of style and wanting him to put up the production. He's not a natural puck mover, none of the Canucks defense are. He hasn't been playing his game for a while now. Still, he's the Canucks most talented defense men.

Garrison and Bieksa are more concerning because of their lack of abilities. Need to tighten up big time when the playoff comes. That's all you can ask them to do.

Team wants to utilize the D and have them be offensive, should have kept Ehrhoff. None of the current Canucks D can skate fast enough to be guys to carry it out. Therefore, they all look stupid defensively.

Don't understand why they continue to do drop passes? because they don't know what else they can do. Ask the natural puck mover..oh wait. We don't have one.

I've said it all along - Edler was playing great, until the team kind of pushed him to become more offensive and tried to get him to have him replace Ehrhoff in terms of style and wanting him to put up the production. He's not a natural puck mover, none of the Canucks defense are. He hasn't been playing his game for a while now. Still, he's the Canucks most talented defense men.

Garrison and Bieksa are more concerning because of their lack of abilities. Need to tighten up big time when the playoff comes. That's all you can ask them to do.

Team wants to utilize the D and have them be offensive, should have kept Ehrhoff. None of the current Canucks D can skate fast enough to be guys to carry it out. Therefore, they all look stupid defensively.

All in all, maybe the D-coach is to blame. These retarded drop passes? Bieksa having no leash. Garrison flat out NOT adjusting (if last season wasn't just a 1-hit wonder to begin with, which it probably was). The misuse of Ballard. The incorrect development of Edler. Hamhuis and Tanev being the only stay-at-home D-men. ...aren't all your D-men, except maybe one supposed to "stay at home"? Why do ALL of our D-men play stupid like that?

Don't understand why they continue to do drop passes? because they don't know what else they can do. Ask the natural puck mover..oh wait. We don't have one.

Don't pretend like you know something, then go on to tout something like this. There is a reason they are called defensemen, and developed as such their entire life before AV gets a hold of them.

Why not just play 5 forwards? Nothing is stopping anybody. It's because the team needs defense! All teams do. It's how the sport works. Having ZERO stay-at-home defense is STUPID.

Unfortunately though, this is why the entire top 4 D has trouble playing a full 60 minute consistent game. They all try to do everything out there....other than Ballard and Tanev who look good because they are keeping it simple.

This team was at its best when Ehrhoff and Edler were driving the offense, Bieksa and Hamhuis were focusing only on shutdown defense, and the 3rd pair was keeping it simple.

Coaching mistake of the century was the dimwitted move to have Bieksa and Hamhuis suddenly become the offensive contributors at the expense of their true shutdown defence from the season before while letting Ballard continue to rot with no offensive chances. Then this year they sign ANOTHER dman who plays much better on the left side to replace a right side D.....>WTF>

Archived