Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Senators owner: "Cooke shouldn't be in the NHL"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
77 replies to this topic

#61 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

I saw no stomp. If you'd played as much hockey as you suggest, you'd realize that this sort of thing happens all the time. (as pointed out by Aaron Ward)

You have to stop using the Don Cherry 'well I've been around hockey .....' response, as it doesn't really warrant anything beyond an eye roll. Using mouth-breather Aaron Ward to substantiate your point doesn't help either.

In pinning someone against the boards, must your skate come down rapidly like that? Isn't the objective instead to keep your leg up, and hence the opposing defender pinned against the boards?

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#62 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Your opinion just lost all validity IMHO.

This from a guy who thinks the league can fine a GM 250,000.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#63 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,105 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Many ppl think another person having a different opinion means they are biased.

They can't understand how someone else could possibly have a different opinion so rationalize it in their brain that the other person is unable to think clearly, therefore said person must be prejudiced.

So are you saying that the fact that it was Matt Cooke has zero bearing on your opinion?

You have to stop using the Don Cherry 'well I've been around hockey .....' response, as it doesn't really warrant anything beyond an eye roll. Using mouth-breather Aaron Ward to substantiate your point doesn't help either.

Once again, I disagree.

Having spent years involved in the game gives one a certain perspective on the nuances of said game, IMHO and using a former NHLer does substantiate my point, especially when his opinion is compared to that of an anonymous internet poster who's never been near the surface of an NHL ice sheet.

I have heard your opinion in several previous internet debates, BTW....and almost exclusively from people who lack such experience.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#64 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

So are you saying that the fact that it was Matt Cooke has zero bearing on your opinion?

Once again, I disagree.

Having spent years involved in the game gives one a certain perspective on the nuances of said game, IMHO and using a former NHLer does substantiate my point, especially when his opinion is compared to that of an anonymous internet poster who's never been near the surface of an NHL ice sheet.

I have heard your opinion in several previous internet debates, BTW....and almost exclusively from people who lack such experience.

Once again you're not answering my questions or acknowledging the actual topic of the thread. If we're to agree to disagree on this, then why must you have the last word, or resort to personal insults? Back to my questions from my previous post:

In pinning someone against the boards, must your skate come down rapidly like that? Isn't the objective instead to keep your leg up, and hence the opposing defender pinned against the boards?

2d7ye0p.jpg

#65 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,105 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Once again you're not answering my questions or acknowledging the actual topic of the thread. If we're to agree to disagree on this, then why must you have the last word, or resort to personal insults? Back to my questions from my previous post:

I did address your question. I said I saw no stomp. When your skate comes up, it does usually come back down again.

And what "personal insults"? Are you saying that you have been on an NHL ice surface? You know, like that "mouth breather" Aaron Ward...

Finally, the topic of the thread is about Eugene Melnyk suggesting that Matt Cooke shouldn't be in the league, immediately after his best defenseman was injured. I believe that he upset and speaking out in error. You seem to believe that he has some valid point, despite the differing opinion of myself, the NHL and every single player that I have seen interviewed regarding the incident.

You agree with Melnyk and I do not. Is there more to say?
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#66 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

This from a guy who thinks the league can fine a GM 250,000.

IIRC this figure was bandied about on the TSN panel and in a couple of local papers. Also IIRC the league can fine anybody any amount it wants as long as they aren't in the NHLPA. As for your "I've played hockey" statement which suggests that you know more about hockey than those who have not I have bad news for you; "mouth breather" Aaron Ward has played a helluva lot more hockey than you and at the highest possible level (winning a mere 3 Stanley Cups) and is now employed for big bucks by a national sports network to bring expert analysis to their broadcasts. Unlike, say, you.

Edited by thema, 16 February 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#67 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

IIRC this figure was bandied about on the TSN panel and in a couple of local papers. Also IIRC the league can fine anybody any amount it wants as long as they aren't in the NHLPA. As for your "I've played hockey" statement which suggests that you know more about hockey than those who have not I have bad news for you; "mouth breather" Aaron Ward has played a helluva lot more hockey than you and at the highest possible level and is now employed for big bucks by a national sports network to bring expert analysis to their broadcasts. Unlike, say, you.

Ron Wilson was fined 10,000 for his comments on Toronto radio claiming they had spoken with the Sedins when they were approaching UFA. Since a coach isn't explicitly mentioned in the CBA, it's safe to say the max fine of 10,000 goes beyond just the players. 250,000 seems astronomical, almost like you believe the radio whack jobs that are forced to fill the air with crap.

I do well for myself, but that's aside from the point. We're dealing once again with the Cooke incident, of which I believe there is clearly a stomping motion. Now I don't know who you are, nor do I care- but if you're planning on creating a topic about player/coach/GM fines feel free to do so. If you have anything that might resemble a rational thought in terms of the Cooke incident then please articulate it, as your last post just demonstrates my Cherry comment.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#68 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Ron Wilson was fined 10,000 for his comments on Toronto radio claiming they had spoken with the Sedins when they were approaching UFA. Since a coach isn't explicitly mentioned in the CBA, it's safe to say the max fine of 10,000 goes beyond just the players. 250,000 seems astronomical, almost like you believe the radio whack jobs that are forced to fill the air with crap.

I do well for myself, but that's aside from the point. We're dealing once again with the Cooke incident, of which I believe there is clearly a stomping motion. Now I don't know who you are, nor do I care- but if you're planning on creating a topic about player/coach/GM fines feel free to do so. If you have anything that might resemble a rational thought in terms of the Cooke incident then please articulate it, as your last post just demonstrates my Cherry comment.

For what it's worth Cherry, who admits he hates Cooke, just said that he too thinks it was an accident so there's two highly paid hockey analysts that disagree with you. Not that that will stop you from spouting your prejudiced opinion around here.

#69 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

He's sounds like a complete moron stating he's doesn't care if it was accidental or what not..."this is a league for elite players".. Okay Eugene did you not employee Brian Mcgratton for 3 seasons whom scored a grand total of 2 goals that entire time.. What a goof. I dno who their goon is now but im sure they carry 1 or more. Sour grapes.

#70 Justin6Schultz

Justin6Schultz

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

Cooke knew what he was doing. Does riding karlson into the corner require one skate to be off the ice? Then what was Cooke doing with one skate off the ice? Losing his balance? That's complete BS . To cut karlson while being off balance would require Cooke to be past the point of losing his balance, i.e. like your legs shooting out as you fall.
Somehow Cooke managed to cut him while standing upright ! If cooke was falling he wouldve simply taken a holding penalty ( before he fell) and then inadvertently cut him after he fell.
There was no loss of balance as they were both within an arms reach of the boards

Imagine this , Cooke is falling ( or about to lose balance, as he claims) and the only thing that saved him was the fact that 1 skate was 6-8 inches off the ice and the only way to save him self from falling to the ice was to "pushoff" karlsons ankle, thus saving himself from falling( thank god)

Pinning an opposing player with one leg requires a knee between their legs, not leading with a blade...Cooke would've had to be falling forward to stick his blade out forward. Since he wasn't falling forwards(the boards) or backwards(a holding penalty), why the blade off the ice ? Shove your knee between his legs and pin him, and your blade is pointed away.

I don't think Cooke meant to cut his Achilles , but I do think he meant to hurt him.

Edited by Justin6Schultz, 16 February 2013 - 08:52 PM.

#71 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

For what it's worth Cherry, who admits he hates Cooke, just said that he too thinks it was an accident so there's two highly paid hockey analysts that disagree with you. Not that that will stop you from spouting your prejudiced opinion around here.

You should probably look up prejudice in a dictionary.

I already stated I could give a sh*t about what Cherry thinks. Most real hockey fans think what he spews is garbage anyway.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#72 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,531 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Cooke knew what he was doing. Does riding karlson into the corner require one skate to be off? Then what was Cooke doing with one skate off the ice? Losing his balance? That's complete BS . To cut karlson while being off balance would require Cooke to be past the point of losing his balance, i.e. like your legs shooting out as you fall.
Somehow Cooke managed to cut him while standing upright ! If cooke was falling he wouldve simply taken a holding penalty ( before he fell) and then inadvertently cut him after he fell.
There was no loss of balance as they were both within an arms reach of the boards

Imagine this , Cooke is falling ( or about to lose balance, as he claims) and the only thing that saved him was the fact that 1 skate was 6-8 inches off the ice and the only way to save home self from falling to the ice was to "pushoff" karlsons ankle, thus saving himself from falling( thank god)

Pinning an opposing player with one leg requires a knee between their legs, not leading with a blade...Cooke would've had to be falling forward to stick his blade out forward. Since he wasn't falling forwards(the boards) or backwards(a holding penalty), why the blade off the ice ? Shove your knee between his legs and pin him, and your blade is pointed away.

I don't think Cooke meant to cut his Achilles , but I do think he meant to hurt him.

Thank you sir! Well articulated.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#73 Justin6Schultz

Justin6Schultz

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

I already stated I could give a sh*t about what Cherry thinks. Most real hockey fans think what he spews is garbage anyway.

If he looked up don cherry in the dictionary you'd find a picture of prejudice. Cherry is no longer relevant in the new NHL, and hes really there to cater to "good old' Canadian" fans.

#74 Lulover88

Lulover88

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

If he did do it on purpose , not only should be outta hockey , he should be off the streets too ! He would have to be a phsycopath to try to cut someone like that .. I personally think that hes an a..hole , but I highly doubt hes eric menendez a..holish ..

#75 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:39 PM

It sure seems like you are prejudiced against anything to do with the Bruins, Hawks and Leafs like oh so many "true Canuck fans".

#76 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:43 PM

I hope things work out well for both sides.
Posted Image

#77 CrippledCanuck

CrippledCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:02 PM

It sure seems like you are prejudiced against anything to do with the Bruins, Hawks and Leafs like oh so many "true Canuck fans".

I think the poster is prejudiced against a 79 year old out of touch commentator that makes only an occassional unbiased, useful and informed comment based on fact, rather than personal opinion. A commentator who clearly needs to learn how to say players names without butchering them.

#78 CrippledCanuck

CrippledCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

While the cooke incident was a very unfortunate event I do not think it was intentional and Melnyk had two days before commenting to calm down as per league rules, he didnt calm down imo,spoke out of emotion and with that emotion he said things that imo were out of line.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.