38 replies to this topic

#1 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:43 AM

At the start of this season, it was the general consensus that Ballard was going to be bought out, and number buyout number two was going to Booth. Of course, there were the morons who suggested Luongo (out of stupidity) and Raymond/Malhotra (out of ignorance... I mean... they are UFAs...)

ANYWHO

I'm creating this topic with the purpose of an ongoing "who gets bought out" thing. The type of players who get bought out are players who have negative trade value, typically long contracts, and large ones at that.

I'm curious to see where this goes.

The most interesting race at this point in time comes from two Florida acquisitions, and it's not who you think:

Ballard has been slowly proving his worth here, as he has been playing some solid defensive hockey this early in the shortened season. The chemistry between him and Tanev is undeniable, and is making both of these players look good.

Booth is a gigantic question mark. He obviously has potential as a player, but it has never come to fruition on this team. This may be a result of battling injuries, much like Ballard. But unlike Ballard, Booth hasn't gotten to play himself out of this rut.

Garrison is VERY rapidly filling Ballard's old shoes. The highly-paid do-nothing defenseman. J-BO 2.0. Is it a lack of chemistry? Inability to adjust? 1-hit wonder? Injury? I don't know, but his 4.6 could be much better spent elsewhere. If Gillis had have known that the cap would go so low, no way does this guy get signed for this much.

Such is the case for many recent acquisitions. I'll be curious to see how the market values are affected by the reduced cap. When the cap shot up the last couple years, there were extra bucks that were sent towards the 2 or 3 acquisitions of the year. This was league wide. This is where the buyouts come in.

Garrison is a prime example. So is Bieksa's contract. Hamhuis made him look much better than he is. Bieksa is another question mark. However, this team is way to cliquey to let Bieksa go. Not in a million years.

Overall, we have 5 D-men who make 4-5 mill per, and only one of them is worth the money (Hamhuis).

I'm pretty satisfied with the forwards, although Booth is questionable.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#2 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,218 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

I would rather trade Bieksa for a nice return myself.

zackass.png

#3 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

Anyone who suggests Luongo be bought out should be publicly flogged for days on end.
Posted Image

#4 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:53 AM

13 games in and you want to dump Garrison? Marco Sturm says hi.

#5 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:02 AM

Yeah this thread is about 35 games + a playoff run away from being started IMO.

#6 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:02 AM

13 games in and you want to dump Garrison? Marco Sturm says hi.

Uhh.... Marco Sturm can say hi all he wants... he was horrible his entire time here. I don't care about his mediocre "success" in Florida following his trade, cuz he wasn't going to find that "success" here.

Garrison should be bought out because this off-season is our only chance. Look at what the signing of JBo did to Calgary.

Gillis has one chance to push this signing under the rug before it haunts him. Garrison will never have a positive trade value.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#7 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,412 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:19 AM

Garrison has been a disappointment for me thus far, but I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

I didn't like how Kassian was playing last year, but I decided to withhold judgement and we can all see how that turned out.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#8 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:31 AM

Garrison looks kind of scared out there. For such a big dude he seems farely shook up. But I'm being patient with him.
Posted Image

#9 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:41 AM

people garisson has been doing fine he is defensive defencmen of course he has made some mistakes but eveyone does even tanev so calm down... all our defence is doing bad.... especially edler

#10 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

At the start of this season, it was the general consensus that Ballard was going to be bought out, and buyout number two was going to Booth.

Ok...a few seasons later Ballard finally gets the benefit of the doubt but a whopping 13 games in the same cannot be said for Garrison?

Posted Image
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#11 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Uhh.... Marco Sturm can say hi all he wants... he was horrible his entire time here. I don't care about his mediocre "success" in Florida following his trade, cuz he wasn't going to find that "success" here.

Garrison should be bought out because this off-season is our only chance. Look at what the signing of JBo did to Calgary.

Gillis has one chance to push this signing under the rug before it haunts him. Garrison will never have a positive trade value.

You're dumb. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Go dunk your head in a toilet. Dumb.
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#12 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

it was a terrible contract the second it was signed and im not just saying that now me and my friends laughed pretty hard the second it was announced ,it looked like a desperate leap to try to replace sami salo. i still think he has alot to give but i think hes more around a 3m a year player tops

#13 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

If all you are going to do is bash garrison trying posting in here. This topic is redundant. http://forum.canucks...w-over-exposed/
Posted Image
Email me

#14 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

If all you are going to do is bash garrison trying posting in here. This topic is redundant. http://forum.canucks...w-over-exposed/

Well, that wasn't the original intention, but that seems to be all anybody wants to talk about.

Who would YOU buy out?
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#15 pianoman13

pianoman13

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Nobody.

No videos in sig please. 

#16 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Probably Not A Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Garrison has the second highest +/- rating on the team, second to Henrik Sedin.

The goals will come, hop off his dick.
Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#17 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

Edit: derp.

Edited by Joe_Shmo, 16 February 2013 - 12:32 PM.

Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#18 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,416 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:30 PM

<p>

<br />
people garisson has been doing fine he is defensive defencmen of course he has made some mistakes but eveyone does even tanev so calm down... all our defence is doing bad.... especially edler<br />

<br />
<br />
</p>

They didnt sign him for his defense they signed him for his 16 goals!!!!!!
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#19 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Well, that wasn't the original intention, but that seems to be all anybody wants to talk about.

Who would YOU buy out?

That is a good question. It would not be a guy that had no per-season and a abbreviated training camp and judge him learning new systems and team-mates. If we trade Lou in the off-season as expected we don't really need to buy anyone out. A buy-out should be used in last resort. We get nothing for this player and have to pay his full contract. Using something just cause you have it is a silly way to go about things. If I had to buy-out someone... It would have to be Ballard since he is in the 3rd pairing and we have a lot of young players that could come up next year. That being said, his recent play is not something that I am overlooking and I honestly don't think we should buy-out anyone.

I would rather have Garri's 16 goals in the playoffs = D

Nobody.

O.o

Edited by VicNuckleHead09, 16 February 2013 - 12:51 PM.

Posted Image
Email me

#20 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

why the hell would we buy out booth?... ballard is in the mix because of his dollar sign to play on our bottom pairing, but since when was it a consensus he was a buyouy target??? by consensus do you mean you just pulled this all out of your ass?
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#21 AFrame14

AFrame14

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Honestly u guys have to be more paitent with garrison.. New team, barely a training camp, no pre season, not to mention completely different conference.. Give him some time to adapt.
NUCKS FOR THE CUP

#22 ABNuck

ABNuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Buyouts only really help in 2 scenarios:
1/ Obvious one would be where a team has cap space to fill the role of the bought out player (upgrade on player being bought out typically means more cash outlay + the buyout penalty). This scenario doesn't work for us as we don't have the cap space therefore we would be trading down when adding the new player's salary + the buyout penalty. Better off to keep Garrison / Booth / Ballard.
2/ Second scenario is where a player gets pushed down the line-up by cheaper talent (ie/ Gomez) and therefore truly ends up being an upgrade with the dollars spent. Problem is in order to upgrade you either need an available player from within your organization or outside (via trade or free agency). So if we buy-out Garrison or Ballard where does the replacement come from? More importantly if we buyout a second line player (Booth) where does that player come from? (Although an argumwnt COULD be made for moving Schroeder to the second wing...but I think history has shown that he is only an NHL capable player if playing down the middle). So again, this scenario doesn't fit or fill our needs either.

So in a nutshell...nobody.

#23 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

Garrison is a solid 6th dman imo and Ballard is a solid top 4 dman. Garrison is good, but I don't think he fits in his salary. He should be getting 3mil max, Salo being older still is a better dman.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#24 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

jeeezus christ, relax on garrrison, kid took a discount in the market to come here and play in his home town.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#25 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Who would YOU buy out?

So that wasn't you bashing Garrison in another thread. Come on dude, clearly a troll.
Posted Image
Email me

#26 bossram

bossram

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

At the start of this season, it was the general consensus that Ballard was going to be bought out, and number buyout number two was going to Booth. Of course, there were the morons who suggested Luongo (out of stupidity) and Raymond/Malhotra (out of ignorance... I mean... they are UFAs...)

ANYWHO

I'm creating this topic with the purpose of an ongoing "who gets bought out" thing. The type of players who get bought out are players who have negative trade value, typically long contracts, and large ones at that.

I'm curious to see where this goes.

The most interesting race at this point in time comes from two Florida acquisitions, and it's not who you think:

Ballard has been slowly proving his worth here, as he has been playing some solid defensive hockey this early in the shortened season. The chemistry between him and Tanev is undeniable, and is making both of these players look good.

Booth is a gigantic question mark. He obviously has potential as a player, but it has never come to fruition on this team. This may be a result of battling injuries, much like Ballard. But unlike Ballard, Booth hasn't gotten to play himself out of this rut.

Garrison is VERY rapidly filling Ballard's old shoes. The highly-paid do-nothing defenseman. J-BO 2.0. Is it a lack of chemistry? Inability to adjust? 1-hit wonder? Injury? I don't know, but his 4.6 could be much better spent elsewhere. If Gillis had have known that the cap would go so low, no way does this guy get signed for this much.

Such is the case for many recent acquisitions. I'll be curious to see how the market values are affected by the reduced cap. When the cap shot up the last couple years, there were extra bucks that were sent towards the 2 or 3 acquisitions of the year. This was league wide. This is where the buyouts come in.

Garrison is a prime example. So is Bieksa's contract. Hamhuis made him look much better than he is. Bieksa is another question mark. However, this team is way to cliquey to let Bieksa go. Not in a million years.

Overall, we have 5 D-men who make 4-5 mill per, and only one of them is worth the money (Hamhuis).

I'm pretty satisfied with the forwards, although Booth is questionable.

No one will be bought out.
What is the deal with Mike Gillis, it always seems like he's sweating...

#27 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

They didnt sign him for his defense they signed him for his 16 goals!!!!!!

I highly doubt that.
If anybody actually thought he would score anywhere near 16 goals s season with us they were kidding themselves.
He was signed due to his defensive skill, and the hope that his booming shot could chip in on offence. So far he has the defence down.
Posted Image

#28 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

OP has been posting all day bashing Coaches, Systems,Booth, Defence - Edler, Garrison, all while sucking Ballard D.

Also been claiming topics on the board as his own ideas. Clearly someone is having a hard time with our loss last night. I think he lives his life on here bashing other posters and players and coaches.
Posted Image
Email me

#29 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

I would rather trade Bieksa for a nice return myself.

I will stay in Vancouver, thank you very much.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#30 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

Rather than say it all again, I'll just leave this here:

Why Everyone Who Thinks Garrison Has Been a Disappointment is Wrong

His contract is a bargain for what he brings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.