The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The buy-out race

Bananas

At the start of this season, it was the general consensus that Ballard was going to be bought out, and number buyout number two was going to Booth. Of course, there were the morons who suggested Luongo (out of stupidity) and Raymond/Malhotra (out of ignorance... I mean... they are UFAs...)

ANYWHO

I'm creating this topic with the purpose of an ongoing "who gets bought out" thing. The type of players who get bought out are players who have negative trade value, typically long contracts, and large ones at that.

I'm curious to see where this goes.

The most interesting race at this point in time comes from two Florida acquisitions, and it's not who you think:

Ballard has been slowly proving his worth here, as he has been playing some solid defensive hockey this early in the shortened season. The chemistry between him and Tanev is undeniable, and is making both of these players look good.

Booth is a gigantic question mark. He obviously has potential as a player, but it has never come to fruition on this team. This may be a result of battling injuries, much like Ballard. But unlike Ballard, Booth hasn't gotten to play himself out of this rut.

Garrison is VERY rapidly filling Ballard's old shoes. The highly-paid do-nothing defenseman. J-BO 2.0. Is it a lack of chemistry? Inability to adjust? 1-hit wonder? Injury? I don't know, but his 4.6 could be much better spent elsewhere. If Gillis had have known that the cap would go so low, no way does this guy get signed for this much.

Such is the case for many recent acquisitions. I'll be curious to see how the market values are affected by the reduced cap. When the cap shot up the last couple years, there were extra bucks that were sent towards the 2 or 3 acquisitions of the year. This was league wide. This is where the buyouts come in.

Garrison is a prime example. So is Bieksa's contract. Hamhuis made him look much better than he is. Bieksa is another question mark. However, this team is way to cliquey to let Bieksa go. Not in a million years.

Overall, we have 5 D-men who make 4-5 mill per, and only one of them is worth the money (Hamhuis).

I'm pretty satisfied with the forwards, although Booth is questionable.

Garrison has been a disappointment for me thus far, but I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

I didn't like how Kassian was playing last year, but I decided to withhold judgement and we can all see how that turned out.

Uhh.... Marco Sturm can say hi all he wants... he was horrible his entire time here. I don't care about his mediocre "success" in Florida following his trade, cuz he wasn't going to find that "success" here.

Garrison should be bought out because this off-season is our only chance. Look at what the signing of JBo did to Calgary.

Gillis has one chance to push this signing under the rug before it haunts him. Garrison will never have a positive trade value.

it was a terrible contract the second it was signed and im not just saying that now me and my friends laughed pretty hard the second it was announced ,it looked like a desperate leap to try to replace sami salo. i still think he has alot to give but i think hes more around a 3m a year player tops

Archived