#1 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:13 AM

POPULAR

The quote "Schneider was beat for two brutal goals — a couple of McSchofties — and was one of the reasons the Canucks blew a 3-1 lead and spoiled Henrik's night" appears in an article under Jason Botchford's byline in The Province right now.

I for one find this preposterous and completely over-the-top. On what basis is Botchford claiming that there's any kind of trend here that's worthy of coining the phrase he does? Why is this necessary? It's gotten to the point where somebody needs to call out the media in this town, specifically and repeatedly, and if it has to be me, so be it.

It is completely counterproductive and vindictive to do something like this on the basis of a single regular-season game. Why, if not for the sole purpose of starting controversy and attempting to drive narrative? To do so is to attempt to be and create the story, rather than report the story, and is entirely contrary to journalistic ethics. It's not just this particular reporter, it's endemic to the Vancouver hockey media and it needs to stop. If we were to hypothetically, as fans, vote Mike Gillis and the Canucks executives emergency powers and authority under martial law, I am sure they would remove a number of these individuals from their posts as part of a generalized crackdown on the sporting press, and some might well be charged with sedition!

Seriously though, let's all hope this doesn't become a thing. When you see how in the bag for the team the media can be in some markets, and I think we all know what I'm talking about here, the way some of these guys undermine the Canucks and actively seek to create conflict, at some level it has got to come into play and do real harm to the atmosphere around the city and fanbase. I would like to see a more positive attitude towards the unprecedented success of the Canucks than one typically gets from the excessively critical attitude that's always going around.

Also note I'm not saying those were not bad goals, of course they were, it happens to everyone and there's no need to act all spoiled and make it a big deal. Blame the refs like good Canucks fans and move on.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#2 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,521 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:32 AM

POPULAR

It is what it is.
Schneider is a big boy so he better get used to it.
He is being paid exorbitant amounts of money for doing his job and criticism is part of the pay package.

#3 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

POPULAR

Luongo got us to game 7 of the stanley cup finals and we ran him out of town. Schneider better have nerves of steel if he wants to play for the Canucks.

#4 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:44 AM

Don't get me wrong people, I always have hated how folks around here got on Luongo lately, you can't be like that towards your goalies and expect to win consistently. I've always been pro-Luongo, and pro-Schneider too, sometimes a guy is gonna let in a few bad goals but for the media to crucify them and try to turn good into bad is not helpful. You have a good team, don't try to tear it down!

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#5 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,521 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:45 AM

I think that is Gillis that is running him out of town or at least driving him to the airport on the Nucks bus.

If not,I believe he would be staying.

#6 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,521 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:48 AM

Don't get me wrong people, I always have hated how folks around here got on Luongo lately, you can't be like that towards your goalies and expect to win consistently. I've always been pro-Luongo, and pro-Schneider too, sometimes a guy is gonna let in a few bad goals but for the media to crucify them and try to turn good into bad is not helpful. You have a good team, don't try to tear it down!

Stating the obvious is not tearing the man down.It is Mc Softly pointing out reality.
The TEAM coverage repeated this exact same mantra after the game multiple times by multiple broadcasters so the record is there to comment upon.It is a results driven profession and everybody knows the rules and the rewards.

Edited by nuck nit, 16 February 2013 - 05:50 AM.

#7 topbananas

topbananas

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 05:50 AM

It is what it is.
Schneider is a big boy so he better get used to it.
He is being paid exorbitant amounts of money for doing his job and criticism is part of the pay package.

AV......is that you?
stan smyl 2.0

Posted Yesterday, 09:07 AM

It's not 7.5 per year, Kesler's at 5 million and Malhotra's at 2.5 million

#8 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:12 AM

POPULAR

Well...here's the thing about Botchford. He's an idiot.

2dgqi51.jpgfcvifc.jpg
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 and Discord for the signatures.

#9 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

POPULAR

For whatever the reason, the media in this city thrives on negativity. I guess they think that is what will get them attention. I don't understand why some of these writers don't just write really good articles about the Canucks that people will enjoy. Instead, the majority of articles are just ridiculing this team. Schneids better get used to it if he wants be #1.

#10 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:00 AM

We win as a team and lose as a team. I have no time for all this "blame the goalie" crap. A goalie is ultimately only as good or as bad as the 5 in front of him.

There is not a night goes by when at least one of our players doesn't give the puck up in front of our goal. 49 times out 50 the goalie whether it is Lu or Cory gets him out of jail. Even on the odd time that doesn't happen most fans have forgotten about it 2 or 3 games later.............Not with our goalies though. It is stored in a communal memory bank and brought out whenever our fans need a scapegoat.

Have these people played any team sports at all?
Kevin.jpg

#11 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:16 AM

The quote "Schneider was beat for two brutal goals — a couple of McSchofties — and was one of the reasons the Canucks blew a 3-1 lead and spoiled Henrik's night" appears in an article under Jason Botchford's byline in The Province right now.

I for one find this preposterous and completely over-the-top. On what basis is Botchford claiming that there's any kind of trend here that's worthy of coining the phrase he does? Why is this necessary? It's gotten to the point where somebody needs to call out the media in this town, specifically and repeatedly, and if it has to be me, so be it.

It is completely counterproductive and vindictive to do something like this on the basis of a single regular-season game. Why, if not for the sole purpose of starting controversy and attempting to drive narrative? To do so is to attempt to be and create the story, rather than report the story, and is entirely contrary to journalistic ethics. It's not just this particular reporter, it's endemic to the Vancouver hockey media and it needs to stop. If we were to hypothetically, as fans, vote Mike Gillis and the Canucks executives emergency powers and authority under martial law, I am sure they would remove a number of these individuals from their posts as part of a generalized crackdown on the sporting press, and some might well be charged with sedition!

Seriously though, let's all hope this doesn't become a thing. When you see how in the bag for the team the media can be in some markets, and I think we all know what I'm talking about here, the way some of these guys undermine the Canucks and actively seek to create conflict, at some level it has got to come into play and do real harm to the atmosphere around the city and fanbase. I would like to see a more positive attitude towards the unprecedented success of the Canucks than one typically gets from the excessively critical attitude that's always going around.

Also note I'm not saying those were not bad goals, of course they were, it happens to everyone and there's no need to act all spoiled and make it a big deal. Blame the refs like good Canucks fans and move on.

I consider the source, Jason Botchford. He's nothing more than a hack writer who makes things up when there's nothing for him to really wrote about. I listen to the guy on the radio and nothing but spew comes out of his mouth. I like your note. To Botchford won't read it. Don't worry he's nothing more than a hack.What sport did he play again?

#12 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,890 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

POPULAR

Schneids better get used to it. This is Vancouver media at its "nice" stage. Wait til the playoffs and when Schneider loses in the playoffs (if he gets the chance to - I have a feeling we'll be riding Luongo out this year).

I don't think Schneider has been terrible - just like I never thought Luongo was terrible in the last couple years when the media continued to rip on him and built up the hype around Schneider. Now that the media thinks Schneider is #1, they are doing the same - they are tearing down the very guy that pegged as the #1 and hyped up to take over for Luongo.

Botchford wanted Luongo's head last season and this year he won't get off Luo's dwyck. That's how screwed up the media is - they'll shamelessly change opinions in the matter of seconds to stir up news.

Fact is, we're a championship team with not much to worry about. So they have to create something - and what perfect opportunity they have in creating this "goalie controversy" where we have 2 elite goaltenders that can win us every game! Wait... What? Oh, that's a positive that no other team has, but we'll make it into a negative by saying they both need to play all the games!

I'm a big Luongo fan, but I don't think Schneids has been doing that bad, and I recognize that Schneider is a great goaltender and a starter in this league. He's just getting the treatment that Luongo got last season as the starter.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#13 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:30 AM

POPULAR

I think that is Gillis that is running him out of town or at least driving him to the airport on the Nucks bus.

If not,I believe he would be staying.

Posted Image
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#14 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Jason Botchford is a douchebag, why do people even bother reading his drivel anymore. His knowledge or lack thereof about hockey is minimal at best.

#15 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

Cory has played for Vancouver for a number of years and has seen how the press (and some fans) have treated Lu. I'm retty sure he knows he will get the same treatment when he has a bad game. He wasn't that bad last night. He made some really good saves, as well as a couple of poor ones. He's a dedicated player, so I'm sure he will be working on those iffy rebounds.

Van media are soooo desperate to create a story or start a controversy. Sad really.

#16 DSVII

DSVII

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

It's the media's job to create sensationalism over substance unfortunately. Just don't read his stuff if it bothers you

"The Canucks, are like North America, many of us have it so much better than others around the world or NHL, and we don't properly appreciate what we have."

"If Canucks fans hate Mason Raymond so bad, then you should have said something before the trade deadline! Because the Leafs would have totally taken him. I mean, can he score? Can he play a HINT of defense? WE'LL TAKE HIM! WE'LL TAKE TWO!"

- Steve Dangle (Leafs Fan Reaction - youtube)

#17 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

They should trade Schneider now before his trade value goes down too much we might be able to get something for him still.

Edited by Harbinger, 16 February 2013 - 10:08 AM.

Posted Image

#18 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 15,766 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

"Seriously though, let's all hope this doesn't become a thing."

It's beyond a thing. This is what they do at the Province - they bottomfeed. But they also get called on it fairly regularly on these boards.
Have you seen Botchford's little minute on TSN - I think it's called 'studs and duds' or something uber-cliche like that? I'm always embarrassed for the guy - he's clearly overcompensating - it's his one trick and it's weak.
Not surprised the Toronto Sports Network chooses this guy to represent Vancity - that's their style.
It's also trademark Province to pretend that the product the Canucks ice isn't up to their standards - their ironing is hahahellacious.

Edited by oldnews, 16 February 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#19 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,310 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Botch is such a crappy writer. Much of the unfair player bias' in recent memory that play out here on CDC, are lifted from shoddy work from Botchford.

To be fair...if the general public actually were not so dumb and unimaginative in having an informed opinion about the Canucks, then it would be a different scenario altogether.

I have a feeling that there is already a schism between Gillis and the Province. And Gillis is constantly, in low key fashion, remarking about media here. The Sun gets more 1 on 1 time with the team.

Sure as sh!t you will get another bunch of threads about goaltending in the next 48 hours because of that article.

I didnt even care that Schnieds gave them 2 goals, i was much more interested in Henrik's achievement, and being suprised at how decent Kesler looked, and the 3 fights were freaky.

Nope...leave it to Botch to angle the events to create another non story, and as always, a poorly conceived/written one at that.

Botch, you suck. Always have.

Best thing is...those goddamned writers read this board.

At least Willes seems to be getting some sex in the last 3-4 years, he has eased off the ridiculous opinions and slants that made hs op-eds hard to read.

His article about Henrik's dedication to being awesome really should have been the headline.

Posted Image

Henrik breaking records.Kes approving.

#20 Teen Icarus

Teen Icarus

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

lol...so true...so true

Botchford botched another article; Luongo's in net next game - nothing new now.
Spoiler

#21 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

Well guess what? It's true. We expect Scheider to be great everynight, especially against the Stars.
Posted Image

#22 CanuckFan1981

CanuckFan1981

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

It's the media's job to create sensationalism over substance unfortunately. Just don't read his stuff if it bothers you

I dont think it is the media's job to "create sensationalism". I thought their job was to report on the facts and interject with an opinion. When they change their opinion to suit "what will sell the most paper's" they lose journalistic integrity. Today's media has little journalistic integrity (IMO) and it is all about rating's, image and sales.

#23 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

For whatever the reason, the media in this city thrives on negativity. I guess they think that is what will get them attention. I don't understand why some of these writers don't just write really good articles about the Canucks that people will enjoy. Instead, the majority of articles are just ridiculing this team. Schneids better get used to it if he wants be #1.

Apparently it does get attention, here we are talking about it.

Botchford could care less about what people think about him, his job is to sell papers. Period. Whatever it takes. And, bottom line, no one is going to read his article in the Province that reads "Canucks are settling in to a nice routine, don't worry, we won 6 in a row just before this, it'll be fine"

What sells is "Doom" "The End of The World Is Nigh" etc, etc etc
Sig too big.

#24 jmfaminoff

jmfaminoff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

At the end of the day, he let in two soft goals. This has happened from time to time this season, and again it cost us the game.

#25 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Well, Schneider sucked yesterday. For the second (third, arguably) time in this young season.

There have been softies. Enough to coin a phrase? Probably not by my standards. But that's the business, and he has Luongo (excellent every single start so far) as a comparison point to make him look bad.

That said, I'm not a Botchford fan particularly. The writers that are also part of the 1040 talent pool (Gallagher excepted) are pretty much selected to "dumb down" the reporting to an audience they call educated / professional but actually believe is pretty lowbrow.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#26 VicNuckleHead09

VicNuckleHead09

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

POPULAR

They should trade Schneider now before his trade value goes down too much we might be able to get something for him still.

GTFO!
Posted Image
"Louuuuuuuuuu!" - Last game Attended: Vancouver vs. Penguins
Email me

#27 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

GTFO!

Don't get so emotional about it. The guy isn't very good and the more Softies and games he loses while being on a good team will lessen his trade value. The prudent move is to get rid of him as quickly as possible so as to lessen the loss. The guy still has a bit of trade value. He should be able to garner a good solid third liner still. That could turn into a fourth liner if he is allowed to keep losing games and letting in softies for a couple of more weeks. It's just the right thing to do.

Posted Image

#28 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

i stand by my thoughts that we have 2 good goalies not great and our team makes them look great..... our 6 game winning streak were against some of the least offensive teams in the league and in those games our team out played them, kept shots down to a minimal ,kept scoring chances way down and forced most shots to be perimetre low % shots .Our defence cleared every rebound and tied up their man in front in thoes 6 games aswell.... and sure enough everyone was talking about how great our goalies were.... last night our guys got outplayed dallas outmanned us infront of our own net, we didnt clear rebounds we didnt tie up guys infront and gave up alot more scoring chances and were outshot... we lose and its the goalies fault... both our goalies should get 10 mill a year by the sounds of it because aparenlty they are the whole team... the other 18 guys are interchangable i guess.

#29 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Next game he shall get a McShutout.

#30 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Next game he shall get a McShutout.

or another McLoss

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.