The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Botchford: "McSchofties"

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

The quote "Schneider was beat for two brutal goals — a couple of McSchofties — and was one of the reasons the Canucks blew a 3-1 lead and spoiled Henrik's night" appears in an article under Jason Botchford's byline in The Province right now.

I for one find this preposterous and completely over-the-top. On what basis is Botchford claiming that there's any kind of trend here that's worthy of coining the phrase he does? Why is this necessary? It's gotten to the point where somebody needs to call out the media in this town, specifically and repeatedly, and if it has to be me, so be it.

It is completely counterproductive and vindictive to do something like this on the basis of a single regular-season game. Why, if not for the sole purpose of starting controversy and attempting to drive narrative? To do so is to attempt to be and create the story, rather than report the story, and is entirely contrary to journalistic ethics. It's not just this particular reporter, it's endemic to the Vancouver hockey media and it needs to stop. If we were to hypothetically, as fans, vote Mike Gillis and the Canucks executives emergency powers and authority under martial law, I am sure they would remove a number of these individuals from their posts as part of a generalized crackdown on the sporting press, and some might well be charged with sedition!

Seriously though, let's all hope this doesn't become a thing. When you see how in the bag for the team the media can be in some markets, and I think we all know what I'm talking about here, the way some of these guys undermine the Canucks and actively seek to create conflict, at some level it has got to come into play and do real harm to the atmosphere around the city and fanbase. I would like to see a more positive attitude towards the unprecedented success of the Canucks than one typically gets from the excessively critical attitude that's always going around.

Also note I'm not saying those were not bad goals, of course they were, it happens to everyone and there's no need to act all spoiled and make it a big deal. Blame the refs like good Canucks fans and move on.

Don't get me wrong people, I always have hated how folks around here got on Luongo lately, you can't be like that towards your goalies and expect to win consistently. I've always been pro-Luongo, and pro-Schneider too, sometimes a guy is gonna let in a few bad goals but for the media to crucify them and try to turn good into bad is not helpful. You have a good team, don't try to tear it down!

Don't get me wrong people, I always have hated how folks around here got on Luongo lately, you can't be like that towards your goalies and expect to win consistently. I've always been pro-Luongo, and pro-Schneider too, sometimes a guy is gonna let in a few bad goals but for the media to crucify them and try to turn good into bad is not helpful. You have a good team, don't try to tear it down!

For whatever the reason, the media in this city thrives on negativity. I guess they think that is what will get them attention. I don't understand why some of these writers don't just write really good articles about the Canucks that people will enjoy. Instead, the majority of articles are just ridiculing this team. Schneids better get used to it if he wants be #1.

We win as a team and lose as a team. I have no time for all this "blame the goalie" crap. A goalie is ultimately only as good or as bad as the 5 in front of him.

There is not a night goes by when at least one of our players doesn't give the puck up in front of our goal. 49 times out 50 the goalie whether it is Lu or Cory gets him out of jail. Even on the odd time that doesn't happen most fans have forgotten about it 2 or 3 games later.............Not with our goalies though. It is stored in a communal memory bank and brought out whenever our fans need a scapegoat.

Have these people played any team sports at all?

The quote "Schneider was beat for two brutal goals — a couple of McSchofties — and was one of the reasons the Canucks blew a 3-1 lead and spoiled Henrik's night" appears in an article under Jason Botchford's byline in The Province right now.

I for one find this preposterous and completely over-the-top. On what basis is Botchford claiming that there's any kind of trend here that's worthy of coining the phrase he does? Why is this necessary? It's gotten to the point where somebody needs to call out the media in this town, specifically and repeatedly, and if it has to be me, so be it.

It is completely counterproductive and vindictive to do something like this on the basis of a single regular-season game. Why, if not for the sole purpose of starting controversy and attempting to drive narrative? To do so is to attempt to be and create the story, rather than report the story, and is entirely contrary to journalistic ethics. It's not just this particular reporter, it's endemic to the Vancouver hockey media and it needs to stop. If we were to hypothetically, as fans, vote Mike Gillis and the Canucks executives emergency powers and authority under martial law, I am sure they would remove a number of these individuals from their posts as part of a generalized crackdown on the sporting press, and some might well be charged with sedition!

Seriously though, let's all hope this doesn't become a thing. When you see how in the bag for the team the media can be in some markets, and I think we all know what I'm talking about here, the way some of these guys undermine the Canucks and actively seek to create conflict, at some level it has got to come into play and do real harm to the atmosphere around the city and fanbase. I would like to see a more positive attitude towards the unprecedented success of the Canucks than one typically gets from the excessively critical attitude that's always going around.

Also note I'm not saying those were not bad goals, of course they were, it happens to everyone and there's no need to act all spoiled and make it a big deal. Blame the refs like good Canucks fans and move on.

Schneids better get used to it. This is Vancouver media at its "nice" stage. Wait til the playoffs and when Schneider loses in the playoffs (if he gets the chance to - I have a feeling we'll be riding Luongo out this year).

I don't think Schneider has been terrible - just like I never thought Luongo was terrible in the last couple years when the media continued to rip on him and built up the hype around Schneider. Now that the media thinks Schneider is #1, they are doing the same - they are tearing down the very guy that pegged as the #1 and hyped up to take over for Luongo.

Botchford wanted Luongo's head last season and this year he won't get off Luo's dwyck. That's how screwed up the media is - they'll shamelessly change opinions in the matter of seconds to stir up news.

Fact is, we're a championship team with not much to worry about. So they have to create something - and what perfect opportunity they have in creating this "goalie controversy" where we have 2 elite goaltenders that can win us every game! Wait... What? Oh, that's a positive that no other team has, but we'll make it into a negative by saying they both need to play all the games!

I'm a big Luongo fan, but I don't think Schneids has been doing that bad, and I recognize that Schneider is a great goaltender and a starter in this league. He's just getting the treatment that Luongo got last season as the starter.

Cory has played for Vancouver for a number of years and has seen how the press (and some fans) have treated Lu. I'm retty sure he knows he will get the same treatment when he has a bad game. He wasn't that bad last night. He made some really good saves, as well as a couple of poor ones. He's a dedicated player, so I'm sure he will be working on those iffy rebounds.

Van media are soooo desperate to create a story or start a controversy. Sad really.

"Seriously though, let's all hope this doesn't become a thing."

It's beyond a thing. This is what they do at the Province - they bottomfeed. But they also get called on it fairly regularly on these boards.

Have you seen Botchford's little minute on TSN - I think it's called 'studs and duds' or something uber-cliche like that? I'm always embarrassed for the guy - he's clearly overcompensating - it's his one trick and it's weak.

Not surprised the Toronto Sports Network chooses this guy to represent Vancity - that's their style.

It's also trademark Province to pretend that the product the Canucks ice isn't up to their standards - their ironing is hahahellacious.

Archived