The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Botchford: "McSchofties"

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Botchford looks like a bobblehead when he's on That's Hockey - Studs and Duds. He's the biggest dud of all lol

The media can coin phrases like "McSchofties" and they do it in the hopes that it'll catch on with the fans. It is our job to make sure that we are more protective of our players than to start using those words that have been coined by armchair athletes. So long as it doesn't catch on with the fans, the media are as powerless as ever.

Botchford looks like a bobblehead when he's on That's Hockey - Studs and Duds. He's the biggest dud of all lol

The media can coin phrases like "McSchofties" and they do it in the hopes that it'll catch on with the fans. It is our job to make sure that we are more protective of our players than to start using those words that have been coined by armchair athletes. So long as it doesn't catch on with the fans, the media are as powerless as ever.

The quote "Schneider was beat for two brutal goals — a couple of McSchofties — and was one of the reasons the Canucks blew a 3-1 lead and spoiled Henrik's night" appears in an article under Jason Botchford's byline in The Province right now.

I for one find this preposterous and completely over-the-top. On what basis is Botchford claiming that there's any kind of trend here that's worthy of coining the phrase he does? Why is this necessary? It's gotten to the point where somebody needs to call out the media in this town, specifically and repeatedly, and if it has to be me, so be it.

It is completely counterproductive and vindictive to do something like this on the basis of a single regular-season game. Why, if not for the sole purpose of starting controversy and attempting to drive narrative? To do so is to attempt to be and create the story, rather than report the story, and is entirely contrary to journalistic ethics. It's not just this particular reporter, it's endemic to the Vancouver hockey media and it needs to stop. If we were to hypothetically, as fans, vote Mike Gillis and the Canucks executives emergency powers and authority under martial law, I am sure they would remove a number of these individuals from their posts as part of a generalized crackdown on the sporting press, and some might well be charged with sedition!

Seriously though, let's all hope this doesn't become a thing. When you see how in the bag for the team the media can be in some markets, and I think we all know what I'm talking about here, the way some of these guys undermine the Canucks and actively seek to create conflict, at some level it has got to come into play and do real harm to the atmosphere around the city and fanbase. I would like to see a more positive attitude towards the unprecedented success of the Canucks than one typically gets from the excessively critical attitude that's always going around.

Also note I'm not saying those were not bad goals, of course they were, it happens to everyone and there's no need to act all spoiled and make it a big deal. Blame the refs like good Canucks fans and move on.

Unfortunately, there are far too many brain-dead fans on this site that have already conined Botchford's "McSchofties" and are using it to express their feelings on the goalie situation. It's like the Jedi mind trick...these simpletons don't even realize they are being manipulated for the benifit of the press at the expense of their own team.

If they referred to Cory as "McSchofty" in front of one of the Canucks they'd likely be picking their teeth out of their shorts.

Botchford gets a pass because he's a bottom-feeding tabloid writer paid to stir up controversy. The fans coining his phrase are just pathetic losers.

Lol I love this, people are giving soo much love to Luongo right now it is sad. Don't get me wrong Luongo is amazing goalie but the reason people are "running him out of town" is because of what he has done in the playoffs. Yes did Luongo get the canucks to game 7 of the stanley cup finals you can argue that. But on the other side of the arugement Luongo let in what 15 goals in 3 road games in the Stanley Cup fianls.

Schnieder was first to admit that he let in 2 soft goals and he realizes that you can't win games when you spot the other team two goals. I still Believe that Schnieder is a better goalie overall, and he seems like he knows how to handle the pressure.

I dont think it is the media's job to "create sensationalism". I thought their job was to report on the facts and interject with an opinion. When they change their opinion to suit "what will sell the most paper's" they lose journalistic integrity. Today's media has little journalistic integrity (IMO) and it is all about rating's, image and sales.

The quote "Schneider was beat for two brutal goals — a couple of McSchofties — and was one of the reasons the Canucks blew a 3-1 lead and spoiled Henrik's night" appears in an article under Jason Botchford's byline in The Province right now.

I for one find this preposterous and completely over-the-top. On what basis is Botchford claiming that there's any kind of trend here that's worthy of coining the phrase he does? Why is this necessary? It's gotten to the point where somebody needs to call out the media in this town, specifically and repeatedly, and if it has to be me, so be it.

Botchford has used the phrase "mcsoftie" to talk about Luongo quite a bit last year (and maybe earlier). I guess McSchoftie is just his way of Schneiderizing it. His shtick is certainly the sarcasm / negative persona and he generally focuses on the goalies.

Anyways, he's obnoxious but I love the Team 1040 morning show for Rintoul and De Bron. Hobo or Phobo? Unreal.

Don't get so emotional about it. The guy isn't very good and the more Softies and games he loses while being on a good team will lessen his trade value. The prudent move is to get rid of him as quickly as possible so as to lessen the loss. The guy still has a bit of trade value. He should be able to garner a good solid third liner still. That could turn into a fourth liner if he is allowed to keep losing games and letting in softies for a couple of more weeks. It's just the right thing to do.

Archived